Roli Seaboard Rise

Not with that attitude.

:wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Ok let’s make a deal. You buy me one and I’ll proof myself wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, there’s lotto ticket sitting on my desk, past due, as we type…

If it’s a winner, a Seaboard shall indeed be yours.

Anything to inspire the next great player.

:wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Sound like a good plan. Got 2 lotto tickets here as well. Good luck! :smile:

1 Like

I like to think of the lotto as purchasing hope, if only for a week.

:sweat_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7IDqFNy1EoQ

Poor audio quality unfortunately but you can still hear that low end and punch in this bass patch. This is giving me some big analog Moog vibes. I’m so getting a Seaboard!

Do you currently play a keyboard ?

Are you considering a RISE 2 as a software controller, or for hardware, or both ?

I can some, but I don’t play.

Mostly as a software/hardware controller. I find its design very impressive and I like the idea that it sparks creativity. It’s still not within my budget but there is always an “impulse buying” option.

1 Like

Well the Rise 2 is much like a regular keyboard in it’s basic arrangement, with a lot of extras added.

People familiar with regular keyboards, being able to do chords, playing two hands, being able to play a melody, and that sort of thing, will have a head start with the Rise 2. That’s not to say you can’t learn all that from scratch on the Rise, you definitely can. But this keyboard is not a short cut to creativity ( to the extent that anything ever really is ).

As a general controller goes, look at what’s there. It’s not got a lot of other controls other than what is on the left side.

This is nice as far as they go – these controls could be set up as the essentials when playing, without a lot of distraction. Some people prefer to have more controls in front of them. You could add some other non-keyboard controller to the Rise 2 with more controls too.

Lurking for a few months, but I do have something to share, so I just created the account

@DJCHEMIE

Some context
I have been playing synths for a while, and I am also taking some classic piano lessons, but I am very much a beginner. I do some stuff on my own, mostly ambient like, and once a week I play with some friends in a jam band, where we do what we fancy, but tends to be more on the psych rock side of things. For now I mostly play with a Arturia Microfreak and a 25 key midi keyboard hooked to my ipad and a bunch of soft synths and effects.

That said I purchased a Roli Seabord Rise 2 in the middle of January 2024 with the intention of using it both for my solo project and my jam band. Its mostly upside but there are some caveats. So lets start with those.

The bad

• As you mentioned it is expensive! Depending on what you want to do with it, you could be better served with a 49 key semi weighted, lots of knobs and sliders midi keyboard that can be had for 1/6 (yes one sixth) of the price.
  • Its not a good piano. Simple study pieces I know play well and easy in my digital keyboard and my teachers acoustic piano, are much much harder at the Rise. Don’t be fooled by the amazing marketing videos. Of course its also not a good Hammond organ as well.
  • As @Jukka already mentioned, if you need a lot of sliders to control VST/AU params / the DAW, you need to pair it with something else
  • You need to pair it with specific software to make it worthwhile. Just using it as a regular midi controler with some “standard” software will be an exercise in frustration, you will gain nothing but will have to overcome its nonstandard playing surface. (but see bellow for what happens with the right stuff)
  • The included software needs to phone home every 4 weeks. Although not the end of the world, if you are in a situation where you could see going without internet for a while, or intend to use it on a device which normally is not connected, keep this in mind. This info is available before you purchase it, but very well hidden. So I make a point to mention it here. I would prefer a one time activation, but it is what it is.

The good

• It does some amazing things and sounds. It invites exploration, I can just noodle with it for hours!
  • Its great for evolving textured pads. With some presets I can just hold one chord with my left hand (lets say Am7) and do some minor movements without taking the finger from the notes, just sliding up and down, or pressing hard and easing the pressure a bit, and it creates enough movement and interest to carry a melody with my right hand. That hand can just play some simple melodies in a matching scale (so in this case, say Am) and you can make something that sounds great.
  • Its amazing for acoustic instruments. I feel like Ian Anderson on a ton of cocaine playing flute like instruments. playing a simple melody and just intuitively slide the finger up for flutter is amazing! But there is more, because what about having a slight granular layer or string on top when you do that? No real flute can do that, but here is effortless and amazing. Guitars with strumming and pitch bends sound amazing, even the double bass can sound great with the attack and slides. The semi tone legato makes playing cello / violin etc like stuff just feel RIGHT! and let me tell you, I tried to play real cello for a year before giving up. I was playing a passable version of the swan with the Roli in a few hours!
  • Its even more amazing for hybrid instruments,that is, you want a cello, but at the same time some digital glitches effects, whatever that show up when you want and not a beat before.
  • All the above points are when the Roli is paired with Equator 2 / Roli Studio which come bundled with the purchase. The synth is quite alright, I can do my own patches easy enough, and yes there is a learning curve, but I will say most of the time the easiest path is to start with a pre-existing one and twist it to my liking.
  • Most other synth software will not play all that well with the Rise as I mentioned, but some will. Pigments and its latest expressive presets will. So will dawesome Abyss and its brothers. Vital also. Possible others I don’t know about. So you have options and will not lack sounds to keep you entertained.
  • The battery and Bluetooth, actually work very well. I tend to use it with a cable, but I was impressed by the very low latency and battery life.
  • Roli support seems to be hated by many. But I must say i had a good experience with them. I bought it when there was no soft case available. About two weeks later a campaign appeared where a free case would be included with new purchases. I opened a support ticket and 5 days later the case was in my house, no extra charge. And I would recommend the soft case since the size is a bit smaller for regular 49 key soft cases.
  • Speaking of which, its light and portable, compared to any other keyboard / synth I have, expect the MicroFreak.

Final remarks
If you don’t expect it to replace a traditional midi controller / digital piano it is amazing. But I would say its a new instrument. It takes practice. I already used it with my jam band, and it was pretty awesome, But I decided to postpone playing with it live for a couple of months still, because I feel I still need more practice on it. That said I expect it to be my only midi controller and center of my gear with my band before the end of the year, possibly even before the end of the summer.

I really hope this helps you. And do not hesitate in asking anything else.
AMBello

10 Likes

Wow this is an amazing write-up! Thank you very much.
I have an MPK249 midi controller but I am super interested in buying an MPC Key 37 to go “smaller” without losing any functionality. I try to assign knobs and faders and automate manually instead of drawing lines (at least so far).

Those promotional videos about Rise 2 were so tempting! As a primarily MPC Software user, I am already fighting lots of software relates issues between that and Ableton. So I think the points you make are very helpful. Maybe in the next generation products, they will be less significant.

Based on all you said, it seems a lot of money to me to use it for only amazing pad sounds or atmospheric textures… The music I try to produce doesn’t need that kind of investment right now. Thanks again!

1 Like

Unless you need a keyboard layout, you could also take a look at the Linnstrument 128.

1 Like

Had my eye on that one since it came out…I think if one considers the expressive possibilities of MPE (pressure per note, vibrato per note, slides & bends per note etc), I think the Linnstrument has the best layout to use these techniques effectively and quickly. Second is the Seaboard in my book, then the Osmose etc.

What I love about the Linnstrument also is that it is self-contained. All its settings are accessible on the hardware without the need for a special software. Considering how expensive these MPE controllers (still) are and how small the companies who make em often are, it’s good to know that I don’t have to rely on the company surviving and supporting the product for me to be able to use the device.

1 Like

The Linnstrument thread.

More virtuoso playing by OBLVYN on a Rise 49 !
( SHORT )

She’s flying here in her own dream space, and the Rise allows her to travel where she imagines.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Here’s a Youtube Playlist where a Jason Turk makes interesting traditional Irish music, often with a guest artist. Jason is always playing a Rise 2 in these videos, mostly like you would a standard keyboard, but not always,. He uses the instrument’s capabilities completely, when it is artistically appropriate. Forty two videos so far, all well produced in interesting locales, and scenery. Well done.

1 Like

Didn’t knew that. Definitely not something I’ll be buying if that’s the case.

It’s like being a criminal that needs to go the police office once a month to make sure you didn’t leave the country.

Has anyone got an E-Mail-Adress from ROLI Luminary HQ? Unfortunately on there website there is no E-Mail-Adress to be found.

I had ordered a Seaboard Rise 2 which was suposed to be delivered today, but was sent back straight away , without a delivery attempt.

Now I would like to initiate a refund. I had a go with there ticket-system, and hope there support-team works better and more professional than there ticket-system.

Problem solved, thank you!

rolisupport@roli.com

More virtuoso playing : Gerald Peter playing a Rise 49 live. ( Short )

1 Like

Sound and possibilites are very impressiv, would have been nice and worth a try - very sad :cry:.