Roland trademark 808 and 303

Here is a nice Ferrari to go with the Behringer 808

7 Likes

Not quite. The Behringer would be an actual Ferrari minus the horse logo for the price of that car you posted. :wink:

5 Likes

And the Roland is the same car except double the price with a free Roland sticker.

2 Likes

Yeah just like a fake rolex that shows the time :yum:

Can the Rolex tell time better than another watch?

1 Like

A Rolex have exquisite clockwork :wink:

Behringer, will own youā€¦ Just waitā€¦:slightly_smiling_face:

At an exquisite price

Isnā€™t there another thread for people that just wanna endlessly bash behringer? Itā€™s a really tedious back and forthā€¦ behringer is super cheap. Not as high quality as the original. Everyone knows this stuff. People really need to state the obvious all the time? Like they think that their single opinion will suddenly make the people that arenā€™t offended by behringer decide they donā€™t want the gear? Yawnā€¦

2 Likes

FWIW, I donā€™t expect Behringer to sell more 808 and 909 clones than Roland is selling their TR-08/09 remakes.

The Behringers are great if you have a setup with a big mixer and a lot of outboard gear so that you can take advantage of all those individual outputs.

The majority of buyers however will not have such a setup and is likely to prefer gear that streams all channels over USB straight into their DAW.

Thatā€™s probably not true for the majority of people on this forum, but keep in mind that weā€™re just a small subsection of the market.

1 Like

Lolā€¦ In all fairness, these are just toolsā€¦ In the end itā€™s all about the music and the creation there ofā€¦ The tools donā€™t make the artistā€¦ Wait! Who said that?!

1 Like

True, but there will always be ā€˜artistsā€™ that are complete tools.

Roland should have done this years ago. But again, few companies have the foresight to predict a products cult successā€¦there will always be people attempting to profit/capatalise on others designs, art, hard work, etc, etc, etc.

Iā€™m obviously not a lawyer and just making an observation which I donā€™t think anyone has mentioned. Rolands ā€œiconicā€ 808 colors (their gradient) goes left to right starting with darkest (orange) and ending up with white. Behringer is doing the exact opposite. So is this not a different thing? Can you trademark a set of colors used in any combination or reversed order?

Yes, I understand what Behringer is doing and the intent is clearly to make consumers think ā€œRoland 808ā€, but itā€™s in fact not the same thing. I just donā€™t know the legalities and specifics of how it works. What defines ā€œinspiredā€ vs. ā€œcopiedā€ with designs must have a good amount of judgement and interpretation involved.

I canā€™t imagine Behringer and their legal team didnā€™t think of this first and thatā€™s why itā€™s reversed which is probably enough to be ā€œinspiredā€ in their eyes and maybe by legal definition too.

1 Like
1 Like

Interestingā€¦ shape vs. color. But I can see how trademarking an obvious shape like a cube could cause all sorts of overreaching implications.

The topic has slightly meandered from its interesting beginnings - letā€™s remember the focus was trademark/copyright, we have the cloning discussion covered on a number of threads

There has been some flags which hint that things are drifting o-t
less flags = a good thing, just sayinā€™ (both ways !)

2 Likes

Behringer = obvious troll is obvious :rofl:

I think if you want to make a tribute to something as Behringer are implying in their videos, then you have to show a certain amount of respect, promoting your own 808 clone on 08/08 knowing it is associated with Rolands marketing is riding on the coat tails, rather than anything related to a tribute.

The problem with such tactics is it might land you in hot water, and it might alienate you from potential customers who just see you as a skanky knock off merchant, it definitely wonā€™t add any prestige or long term brand loyalty because your brand has no identity.

Before all the Behringer fans jump in saying Iā€™m bashing Behringer (again), Iā€™m not Iā€™m just stating things how I see them. I personally care just as much about Behringer or Roland as they care about me, zero.

I find it interesting though. What one company can do with a specific set of colors and how that applies outside of that specific design. Ones eye can see that same set of colors, but used in a different physical capacity, yet still instantly ā€œseeā€ (in your minds eye) something else (the original design). The arrangement of colors is different, but your brain is making the connection and association. Youā€™re ā€œseeingā€ something that isnā€™t actually there. How do you interpret that individual mental association in a legal capacity?

Orā€¦ as usual, I could just be completely wrong. :laughing::rofl::joy:

I guess (and it is just a guess) that a court might take into consideration the whole thing, copying the sound circuits, copying the colour scheme and basic layout, and using almost the same model number. For example the acidlab miami might not be subject to the same legal scutiny because they did not do all of that.

Might be good to remember that trademark law is originally intended to allow customers to uniquely identify a specific business entity as the source of goods or services. Itā€™s explicitly not intended as intellectual property protection even though in practice it often ends up being uses as such.