Roland TR-8 like Scatter mode or comparable for the Elektron Analog RYTM? Is the AR inspiring at all?

Aaron Funk certainly seems to get the AR real glitchy. I just bought an Octatrack, and I am just barely getting my head around it but, I’ve been totally GASsing over the AR after seeing this video. I have a TR8 as well but I’ve been doing all my glitching with Ableton’s Sampler until the OT. I also found Scatter to be kind of gimmicky

3 Likes

Can you afford to keep the TR-8, get the Rytm, and then decide if you want to sell it after seeing what you can do with the Rytm or Rytm+iPad/computer? The Rytm is a mind blowing awesome drum machine, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed having one…

3 Likes

Hm. Yeah that would most probably be the most reasonable way of doing it.
I just want to avoid gear stacking and make a decision asap, you know.

1 Like

Get a Rytm. You won’t be disappointed. You can literally make entire tracks on it and if you’re using it only as studio gear why not recreate the scatter effects in a DAW?

But how? Beat repeater on Live? Maybe I have to just take a step back. Keeping a piece of gear just for a single feature ist not what I consider as optimal.

Thanks guys anyway for your support!

To me it just sounds like a granular live sample effect you can modulate. Maybe it has some filter and reverse effects built in. You could build an effects rack in Ableton that does the same thing pretty easily.

1 Like

You’ll take one step back and then a bunch more forward… :wink:

1 Like

This classic plugin will sound much better than any hardware

https://illformed.com/glitch/

2 Likes

Ahhhh dblue… had no idea this had been resurrected. Love that there is a mac version now😍

1 Like

Yeah not free anymore, but much more powerful now though.
It’s awesome. Throw it on the end of any boring old synth and fuck it up real good. Crazy stuff

2 Likes

At first I thought I was looking at a ripoff of the sugarbytes glitch plug, interface is nearly identical :eyes:

Yeah the sugar bytes effectrix?
Yeah virtually the same. Really good also.
Actually have both, and prefer one over the other but can’t remember which one haha

Whoa! I forgot about this!

Both look really interesting - and it’s especially useful to me that Glitch 2 has a Linux VST available. Nice one!

1 Like

For me there’s only smartelectronix livecut… A shame it doesn’t seem to work on modern mac OSes. IMHO FSU plugins sound abit anachronistic these days tho, far better results to be had by manual mangling. The OT would be great for stuttery stuff.

I’d just get the Rytm to be honest, the depth and quality will make you forget the tr8 in no time and if not you will be able to pick up another in the future.

I’d go Rytm Scooper and/or iOS.

Sounds like you really want to ditch the tr8 anyways!

Most of the people in this thread recommended going for the Rytm. I really just wanted to get rid of the TR-8 to be honest since it is too big to actually take it with my comfortably for live situations to then only have 808 and/or 909 sounds with it. I realize that the Rytm is a way more versatile machine.
Problem is though that I just now discovered the Scatter and its sound design power so I#M having second thoughts.
Wanting an TR-8 back soon would be hurtful though since I customized mine pretty heavily (909 potis, new LEDs and general 909 design.
I tried to make a beat with an ableton drumrack today and mangle it through Effectrix but for some reason it sounded very unorganic and not how I wanted it to be.
Ah jeez, decisions like thast are never easy.
I think I am just now blinded by the light of actually getting a lucky shot out of the TR-8 with the scatter but I am really not sure whether this will actually further enhance production value in the long run since it is such a limited feature to be honest. (I like only 3 of the 10 scatter-presets to fiddle around with. however, they change with the beat so…)

Argh.

If you can wait a little rtym prices are likely to drop a little more while tr8 are quite low , I’d grab a cheap rytm.

Lots of nice cheap iOS plugins can do scooper glitch.

I’ve got nice odd results by running tr8 as slow as possible , twisting swing / delays etc … it can generate some weird noises.

Somebody slap some since into him!

Nobody wants to flat out tell you that you are wasting your time worrying about the scatter feature on the tr8. If it were for the sounds you get from the tr8 that’s a simple fix. But the need to debate over scatter is very minute after you get the rythm.

Trust us. If not all of us that has posted here, most of us have owned the tr8 or other drum machines in the same range. Keep the tr8 for now, get the rythm, you will most definitely forget why you had the debate over scatter after you’ve gotten used to what is waiting for you in the rythm or any other Elektron machine for that matter.

Keep the tr8 for the digitakt, Analog four, octatrack, and/or analog heat you’ll be getting after the rythm. Trust me, it’ll happen. I apologize I have to be the one to be straight up with you but that single feature is nothing compared to what you will have at your fingertips when you experience any of the Elektron machines. And you will look back and kick yourself for waiting so long to get one too. Good luck.

6 Likes

hey guys//

alright, alright.

decided on getting an Analog Rytm.

With that, to avoid gear stacking, I want to sell the Tr-8.

Now that you say that the Tr-8 has some potential cool interactions with the Octatrack, I’m not sure whether to keep it or just give it away, since I think having one drum machine is enough, especially when it’s the rytm.

Why do you think hooking up the Tr-8 with other elektron machines would be profitable?

1 Like