Roland TR-06 Boutique

oh yeah - Uli who ? :wink:

1 Like

To be honest, what I really wanted from them was something like this:

But obviously that could never happen :confused:

3 Likes

I think what you really want is a Jomox thenā€¦ :wink: :+1:

1 Like

Only thing that the Jomox can best it at soundwise is the kick, IMO.

3 Likes

Thanks. Missed that.

What I was looking for turned out to be in the MIDI implementation chart anyway

Just one step closer to the boutique TR505 that all the real producers are waiting for.

2 Likes

Can you give a short summary on how well the MX-1 works over USB with them? Can you set up multichannel or do you only get the stereo bus? Can you split the stereo bus into two discrete channels?

Just stereo, I think the MX-1 predates the multi-channel over USB update on the boutiques.

I just use 3 USB power/data splitters (one of the MX-1 ports has power) and connect them.

One slight annoyance is that the MX-1 doesnā€™t pass midi note or CC data from its din port to the USB ports, only midi clock. So it means that other than sync I need to connect din midi to each boutique if I want to send notes or CC. But I have thru boxes with the boutiques on them so it isnā€™t so bad.

7 Likes

the demos sound nice and the new functions for fx, triggering are good too.
so i guess people decide on behringer (cheap analog , multi outs, with standard functionality) or Roland (digital , more functions , fx , seems to sound good , midi cc , usb audio multi outs probably)

iā€™d like to have bought the tr08 and tb03 but their prices are going up.
i have sh01a, juno 06, a01 boutiques. iā€™m happy with them all.

1 Like

You guys really think they are not 1-to-1ing it side by side with as pristine a TR-606 as they have?

They would not release it if it didnā€™t pass the testā€¦ the idea theyā€™d release something that ā€˜sounds nothing like a 606ā€™ knowing the scrutiny they get is laughable, especially when theyā€™re competing with a product that is also aiming to replicate itā€¦

Looks fun.

A 606 clone with MIDI CC# parameters that sounds better than the TT-606.
Thatā€™s the niche they filled.
Having per instrument delay level in the MIDI spec is a nice touch. That would be fun to p-lock on OT.

Iā€™ve heard a lot of TR-606, and no two are alike, now, decades after manufacture.
So arguments over ā€œauthenticā€ sounding are purely subjective, since we all define it differently. Even a pair of pristine, untouched, NOS TR-606 will sound different in the hats and cymbal. Aside from tuning differences, some are softer, some more metallic, and they distort differently with accent.
Also, thereā€™s other parameters at play here (tune, color), so while one video TR-06 sounds more like a TT-606, the other sounds more like a TR-606.

I have used a TR-606 that had similar hat/cy core sound to this Boutique in the ā€œTest Checkā€ video, and in this video it sounds like they did not adjust tuning on the hats.
But I need to hear how it distorts when treated with accent to make a better judgement, and of course what it does with accent and CH + OH combo programmed on the same step. Acidlab Dramatix did a good job there.
Also, itā€™d be better to hear it direct in my speakers and not through the YouTube.

But otherwise, more patterns, more banks, more fx, more sequencer trickery, MIDI CC, variation soundsā€¦
Aside from now analog individual voice outputs, I canā€™t knock this, based on whatā€™s on paper and what I heard in the ā€œTest Checkā€ video.

Program change would indeed be nice, but weā€™ve seen Roland update MIDI specs on boutiques in the past, so holler at them and it might happen some day.

I donā€™t need a 606 clone or derivitive. Pretty happy with the thousands of 606 samples in my OT these days (keeps me focused on the OT, which is important). But if I had a string of electro gigs lined up, Iā€™d probably grab one. It has the 606 vibe, and loads under the hood.

6 Likes

oh dang, thereā€™s a compressor too!?

Well then I might have to get one after all, ya know, for science.

Stereo out is usable since you can put Kick and snare (the two sounds that use the compressor) hard panned through the L, and everything else hard panned through the R (for reverb after the fact).
Thats the way I used my Acidlab half the time.

10 Likes

I think itā€™s not a master compressor. It looks like the SD and BD have separate ā€œone knobā€ compressor parameters.

Yep, i gathered from the manual.

Canā€™t find any info in the manual about those variation sounds (clap, rim), however.

edit, found (Roland manuals are awful!)

the more i dig in, the more i see that i like.
One of the selectable drive types is LPF/HPF. Wow.

Many FX types beside delay as well. Reverb, tape echo, flanger, etc.

4 Likes

One of the Roland vids goes through drive options and very brief example of the filter. It sounded fine.

2 Likes

Oh nice, itā€™s Pioneer DJM / Model Samples style, bipolar. Love that. Iā€™m sold.

3 Likes

yeah the cost is double but thereā€™s SO much more in the TR-06. the sequencer upgrades alone are worth it. lots to have fun with there, especially if you want to get nuts with it live. I couldnā€™t help thinking when watching it about the B complaints that they usually do the bare minimum to clone machines (but obviously this keeps cost down). Roland decided ā€œif weā€™re gonna bring it back, letā€™s really go for it.ā€ sure, itā€™s not analog, but thereā€™s a TON to love about what theyā€™ve added to it. and the sound is certainly there.

are the individual trigger outs just pulses? I assume so. but itā€™d be incredible if they were individual voices too, or switchable between the two.

4 Likes

Agreed itā€™s more than twice the amount of instrument to cover twice the price. Considering the compressor and other fx built in, Iā€™m not mad about the stereo-only output.

plus Bonus..

And I donā€™t have to worry about Roland attacking journalists in a personal, anti-Semitic way, either.

And it looks like those trigger outs are pulses, from the manual, since it warns against using stereo plugs on those jacks.

But ya know what, that pulse is still a usable sound. :slight_smile:
Dexter used it on his TR-606 against the clock.

10 Likes

The trig in functions could be pretty fun when using with the trig out and probability.

Iā€™ll probably use the trig outs for driving my EHX drum synths after finding out the clockworks wasnā€™t much cop.

Iā€™m thinking similarly. My OT will be my primary drum machine. Something like the TR-06 would be more of a partner for adding variety than providing the main beat.

2 Likes