Roland TR-06 Boutique

Yes! Anyone who used BASIC to make music knows this :slightly_smiling_face: RND ftw!

1 Like

& non volatile sequence memory !! Insta buy then !

1 Like

Variation sounds.

Was doing so good not eyeing any new gear, but this fits right into my needs on my roland/acid setupā€¦ would like to stop moving my MD back and forth between my 2 configurations. Mainly after the 5 trig outs, as Iā€™m currently triggering sh-101, jx-3p, sh-09, tb-03, system-8, and a DSD-2 & 3. Without MD running 4 trigs, I only have my DR-110 and 606 for 3 trig outs total. Since my 606 has individual outs, Iā€™m not too worried about only stereo outs via audio or the sounds not being spot on. Wonā€™t be spending $400 for it, but will eagerly be looking for a used one early next year.

2 Likes

The problem with these small boxes is that I donā€™t feel guilty leaving them on the shelf and so I quickly accumulate a lot of them! If I donā€™t use a more expensive synth/drum machine for a while I feel guilty and sell it.

3 Likes

Aha yes, here is ā€œmanualā€

Oof, definitely think this will hit RD-6 sales, all those colours too, shame :joy:

7 Likes

my problem is that I often like them more then the bigger premium boxes. So I sell them since I feel guilty for putting the premium boxes on the shelf

3 Likes

What we need is a gear-share commune so we can all use everything without breaking the bank.

10 Likes

The problem with Youtube demos is that even on high quality the hats are exactly the sort of sound that gets murdered by compression - complex high frequency stuff. Thatā€™s why Iā€™d really like to hear a good audio example.

Regardless, this does look like a really fun box, simple in a good way, and I like the look of the extra stuff theyā€™ve added.

Yeah the mutes and pattern modifier stuff look like it will be quite fun to jam with.

389ā‚¬ at Thomann s
3 - 5 weeks Delivery.

I have nearly all the boutiques, two of some, and the MX1s as well, it is fun and easy to swap them out using just a single USB cable, I keep the unused ones in a cupboard and when I feel like a change swap them out.

For a good few years I wasnā€™t too interested in Roland gear anymore, but the boutiques and MX-1 and SBX-1 changed all that, I like the modern interpretations better than I liked the originals in many ways.

5 Likes

I couldnā€™t find the manual yet but I found the MIDI implementation chart:

No support for MIDI program change.- Octatrack owners might not be happy with that - those that use Arranger mode anyway. But I guess that plays into what Roland wants - if you want to fire off a completely different pattern for your song chorus, get another drum machine - like maybe a TR-6S - and use that to play that other pattern until itā€™s time to switch back to your verse.

Sounds pretty much nothing like a TR-606ā€¦ Weird.

1 Like

Very true. Lots of harmonic content gets lost. That said, this demo sounds more authentic to me:

Also:

3 Likes

Why did I have to start a track in the last few days with 606 samples!? Why did it have to be such a good sounding track :sob:?

3 Likes

Scroll back up :+1:

1 Like

Alright, thatā€™s more like it yeah.

1 Like

OK that trigger in trick is BAD ASS.

1 Like

I think Roland have smashed it out of the park with this one. Sounds sufficiently like a 606 if thatā€™s your prime concern, sufficient levels of both sonic editing / variations & sequencer trickery to make it far more than that.

In many ways it would be a better drum machine for me than my ( now departed ) TR-8S which had way more stuff than I needed. This seems like a decent balance between simplicity & depth.

I donā€™t ā€˜doā€™ drums any more with my music, but the 5 trig outputs + sequencer that I could stuff into my eurorack seem almost worth the admission fee aloneā€¦ Plus I do sort of miss my original 606 more than most stuff Iā€™ve sold.

Plus I keep wondering about the sound of this stuck through the external audio input of the KARP 2600 FS with the gain cranked high & the envelope follower in action.
Itā€™s almost tempting me to dive into techno againā€¦

6 Likes