Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Definitely! I hope you share a shunkplate mix at some point @waftlord, really enjoy your stuff.

1 Like

playing around with free running loops and a stratocaster :heart:

13 Likes

@looms thanks for the detailed walkthrough, super inspiring!

It now occurs to me that Iā€™m not freeform enough to really let the SP shine. Too afraid to surf that line between ā€œhell yeah, dirty!ā€ and ā€œoh no, my mix is fucked beyond repair and my bassline is way out of tuneā€. Gotta let go.

5 Likes

Yeah itā€™s a tough line to surf! The SPā€™s are so good for going with feel, experimenting and getting results quickly but then the results can sound socially not so nice and especially with resampling/skipback youā€™re limited in what you can do sometimes after the fact to change that. Thereā€™s probably workflows and methods to capture both feel/inspired sessions and have some flex to eq and whatnot later but I havenā€™t worked that out! And thereā€™s definitely a magic to skipback in that for me and no doubt others itā€™s great for avoiding that ā€˜ok here we go Iā€™m recording now,ā€™ metronome counts down and the vibe goes to shit :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

404mk2 should promptly implement a loop recorder.

2 Likes

Hi, I wonder how you approach to apply effects in pattern mode. Itā€™s very versatile but for example if I have a baseline and drums in the same pattern, is there a way to apply only on drums a FXā€¦ I know the busses, but it would be apply a static effectā€¦

Thereā€™s motion record which captures fx on/off and changes to the settings. Itā€™s at 4:18 in this:

I havenā€™t had much luck with it myself. Seems like when itā€™s on it resets the effects/turns them off when you switch patterns you havenā€™t motion recorded into but I might be doing something wrong.

Perhaps thatā€™s what youā€™re after?

1 Like

Yes, something like that but I think it only apply one effect at a timeā€¦ but thank you

1 Like

Great stuff. Love your style.

1 Like

I suppose if you wanted two effects on drums you could exclude the other samples from having effects - remain & pad until it turns white I think. Then if you wanted fx on your other sounds you could resample the drums with your effects, copy pattern, delete original drums and add the resampled version on the first beat :thinking:

Might not be understanding what youā€™re after. Sorry if this is all useless waffle :slightly_smiling_face:

No, thank you, it have a lot of sense what youā€™re saying. I think the best way of apply effects, at least for me, is make an arrangement, resample it and apply the effects to the whole song. You can resample only the drums, yes, and apply FX to drums and add it to a new pattern but itā€™s a very complicated workaround and I donā€™t know if it would work (different time and sample driftā€¦)

1 Like

Yeah, its a fiddly way to do it. Iā€™m trying to get up to speed/remember the button combos with some of the newer updates like being able to copy just certain pads from a pattern into a new one. With that, I suppose it would be very slightly quicker to copy only drums into a new pattern, apply fx, resample and put hard quantised (or use Step Seq) on the first beat of an existing pattern. Theoretically there shouldnā€™t different timing/sample drift. But still a long way of approaching things. Could also maybe just mute the ones you donā€™t want in the resample which would cut out having to copy the existing pattern.

1 Like

What is reaaaaally a miss is that the motion sequenced fxs are not bounced with the pattern. Like, why, Roland? It would be THE workflow accelerator + absolutely everything in the SP is built around the fxsā€¦

6 Likes

I didnā€™t know that. Itā€™s weird.

1 Like

Yeah absolutely. I discovered that one the other day. Really annoying!

1 Like

Yeah, and the weirdest part is that they were both introduced in the same fw update. Itā€™s like it was 2 features brought by 2 different teams not speaking to each other.

1 Like

Still hoping for a lovely firmware update before the end of the year :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

The motion record can apply to two effects, but it can only record motion for the first page of parameters for each effect. A bit odd of a design decision in my mind, and Iā€™m keeping my fingers crossed that they get an update that allows us to record changes for all parameters across bus 1/2/3/4 and hey, why not the input FX bus while weā€™re at it :smiley:

5 Likes

I actually donā€™t mind it skipping the FX for a few reasons as defaultā€¦

• You may not want to print the FX to the loop
  • Bus 3/4 arenā€™t turned off once you have resampled, so you wouldnā€™t want those typically
  • There can be some looping issues with long delay/reverb (just double the pattern typically and chop)

That said, there really should be an extra pattern -> audio copy mode that would allow us to resample various parts of the bus chainā€¦ optimally allowing us to select what depth through the mixer we want to go pre bus, post bus 1/2, post bus 3/4, etcā€¦

4 Likes