Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Cool, thanks for the responses. I’ll probably just roll with a laptop or portable tascam too then, nbd

Second-hand SX or A should do this with no problem. I don’t recall exactly, but it was way over a hundred minutes just on a 2GB card.

1 Like

The way I would try to do this:

You could record your set like your were saying in four parts (Or even more parts), assign them to the same mute group (that way the don’t overlap). I usually use some found sound/spoken word samples as a buffer between tracks. Then manually trigger the parts. That will allow you trigger effects on top plus samples like you were planning, but at the expense of not being automated.

I think a lot of legacy SP users broke down their sets in multiple parts for more control when they use a sp to perform their Ableton tracks.

Using the MK2 advantages, I might try recording track by track separating the drums and bass > everything else. So two pads per track. Then make sure they are tightly chopped and use the pad link functionality, to trigger both pad with one. This would allow for using a bus on drum and bass and a bus on everything else for live effects. Then utilize bus 3 and 4 for 303 vinyl sim and other mastering style effects.

I haven’t spent much time with the dj mode, but in theory this could be useful for more smooth transitions without using the buffer samples for transitions.

2 Likes

any excuse to keep posting this one will do

8 Likes

Just got this from guitar guitar!! Not many left in stock, UK only I think

Apologies, looks like they’re all gone already

2 Likes

I just got one from Juno.co.uk in the UK on Saturday (delivered yesterday) but I just checked and I must have bought the last one as now showing out of stock!

the UK one is sick too! I’ve got a Ras G track as the last track in the set before the outro :slight_smile: one of my biggest inspirations for live sets, massive sound

1 Like

Thanks to this thread I was able to grab a MKII from TTL a few months back. Wanted to return the favor – noticed that stock is showing on Long & McQuade:

3 Likes

Guitar center in stock as well

Is this the correct Adapter to sample from iPhone into Broland? I am not sure because it says USB 3 not C. Askin’ for a friend… ,-)

1 Like

That should work, I have the non charging one but essentially the same thing.

1 Like

Finally got hold of one in last few days. May Have missed this in manual, etc - is there a visual representation of incoming audio levels when sampling? Have seen settings for attenuation but nothing for visual metering of incoming audio levels, such as that found on MPC Live, etc.

Cheers.

G

Not a great help, but the EXT SOURCE button lights up orang/red when it’s getting hot. Not sure if that includes any FX you’ve used on input, and not quite sure how hot you can go before it gets nasty

4 Likes

Ordered mine from guitar center rather than wait for my sweetwater preorder and a 10% discount. Be here Tuesday rather than maybe September. I’ll get to take it on vacation next weekend.

4 Likes

Cheers for that.

G

1 Like

Man, big ups for this. I noticed that they got rid of the little clipping light and was a little bummed!

3 Likes

also now I’m just griping but a menu option to change which screen it defaults to would be sick :smiley:

1 Like

Yep, I hear you. I’d prefer it to default to effects parameters over anything else (even if no effects are active).

1 Like

Who uses the sp404 for live performance /jamming? Any tips or workflow advice?

2 Likes