Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Ordered mine from guitar center rather than wait for my sweetwater preorder and a 10% discount. Be here Tuesday rather than maybe September. I’ll get to take it on vacation next weekend.

4 Likes

Cheers for that.

G

1 Like

Man, big ups for this. I noticed that they got rid of the little clipping light and was a little bummed!

3 Likes

also now I’m just griping but a menu option to change which screen it defaults to would be sick :smiley:

1 Like

Yep, I hear you. I’d prefer it to default to effects parameters over anything else (even if no effects are active).

1 Like

Who uses the sp404 for live performance /jamming? Any tips or workflow advice?

2 Likes

Anyone know if DJ mode allows for a line-in ext. source to be mixed in with the dj channels?

Yeah, this would be my preference too. Hitting ‘Remain’ isn’t the ideal option especially when the effect is already on. Annoying that it constantly reverts back to the least useful screen.

Please Roland, make it happen!! :smiley:

5 Likes

Question for the sp404 wizards:

I have recorded in a chord sample that is an arbitrary length. I now want to resample that chord so it’s 4 bars long and I also perform a filter sweep that peaks at the end of the 4 bars (making a riser if you will). What would be your workflow here?

1 Like

Hmm, I would just assign said sample to a bus with a filter, press resample, make sure you press start/end to turn off the rec end ”quantization”, start resampling and sweep the filter manually, and stop the recording right after 4 bars, and the SP will create a perfect loop for you.

Checked and yes ext. in is still open while in DJ mode. YOu can turn up its volume but I wish it had its own fader where I could check the tempo on the headphone cue n such!

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t expect to be so stoked to have that skipback feature! I couldn’t imagine really using it, but I think it really makes sense on the 404.

Respect to Roland for this :pray:

4 Likes

The take before I hit record is always the best going way back to my SX days. Love me some skip back!

3 Likes

Loads in stock here: (UK)

5 Likes

So what’s the verdict on this device as an Elektron and iPad user? Is it really good? Is the workflow fun? What’s the current state of play?

2 Likes

It’s an incredible device because it forces you to focus on creativity. You don’t have the precision of the Elektron sequencer. The sample editing functions are very basic. The pattern sequencer is extremely limited. It’s the ultimate… less is more box. I absolutely love it because it forces me to move forward when creating as opposed to constantly tweaking everything. The FX are amazing, and very useful as well. Even if you created with the iPad and Elektron devices and sampled into SP 404 it would be worth it. Just my 2 cents. I had the OG 404 and loved that and I can say the MK2 is 10000 times better. If you go into learning it thinking that it’s going to behave like a DT, OT, or anything close to that… you’re mistaken. If I could only keep one sampler/sequencer I would choose the SP…

5 Likes

The sp404 mk2 is my first sp box. I really enjoy the sound and the form factor. The sequencing is not something I’m used to and is taking me some time to get in to. Things I took for granted before (simple things like using filter envelopes and lfo’s for modulation) are missing and so it requires a change in mindset - not sure if I will get there but I will keep persevering. I would class myself as a sequencer and not a player and this box is for playing and not sequencing in my opinion. It’s a refreshing change though (for now).

1 Like

Thanks for that. :smiley: I haven’t seen one actually in stock for so long that I jumped on the Guitar Guitar batch today. I figure I can always sell it on if I don’t gel with it, but I love the idea of a quirky hardware sampler and I adore the Koala iPhone app, which I guess is the closest thing to it that I’ve used before.

2 Likes

If you’ve used Koala you will absolutely love it. It’s Koala on steroids lol. Koala has a way more advanced sequencer though. But I will say that the TR step sequencer on the MK2 is a great addition and speeds up the workflow. I was lucky enough to grab an MK2 in November and they’ve made some pretty significant updates to the firmware in that time. If they do add some type of parameter locking and the ability to export stems I would say that it’ll surpass the DT for sure.

isnt it more like koala is a sp404 on steroids?

4 Likes