Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 2)

Yeah I think the 404 is a good device as is so I’m definitely not suggesting a new version is needed.

It’s much more feature rich now on latest OS than it was when I bought it years ago. The possible downside is that some of the shortcuts / button combos aren’t as intuitive as they could be if they were designing the product now. Maybe that’s an area that they could focus on in future.

Mileage will vary. I mainly used mine for quick guitar / bass stuff.

G

2 Likes

A redesign with more intuitive layout to accommodate all the new features is a solid thought! Not sure it’d be enough for me to upgrade but it would elevate a lot of the “SP is to complicated” chatter!

Same! Record a loop and jam! It’s so easy for that purpose!

1 Like

Bigger form factor, sp 606 like with better sequencing and sampling to go against MPC?.

Anyway talking about sequencers, the one implemented here is pretty smart. I can see this working on a SP

I agree with most of your comment, but I don’t think the sequencer works in an intuitive way. I don’t think it needs to be full blown Elektron, but at least make adjusting notes simpler.

1 Like

They could follow the MPC Live 3 and add a small 8x2 row of step sequencer buttons. Aira P6 style. That could be really cool

2 Likes

One of the reasons I’ve owned an SP for as long as I have is because of the pad-based unquantized sequence recorder. What you play in, is what you get back. If you need a note adjusted, play/record it again. They could get rid of the step sequencer on the mk2, and I wouldn’t even notice.

5 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/SP404/s/9k5fLhW9VM

7 Likes

The step sequencer is perfect for dropping loops on step 1 for patterns. Really all I use it for, makes for a quick way to quantize and layering samples fast to build song structure!

6 Likes

Holy shit! I’m someone who doesn’t think the built in sequencer is as crap as some make out but this looks
really interesting, especially as (if true) the SP works as normal and it’s just an additional set of options to play with. Scared to try it though haha.

4 Likes

Doesn’t touch the bootloader, but I wait for other people first to try it before installing just in case.

1 Like

idk man, have you seen the manual for this?

But hey, song mode promised - then the SP will be a real “groovebox” lol

3 Likes

I need to buy a 404 again once the dust settles and see if it’s stable. It’s pretty much what I wanted which was just an additional decent sequencer, but also step by step automation is pretty insane I admit.

I mean, I’m a happy SP user so obviously button combos don’t phase me, but that looks like … a lot.

For sure I’d like it if a future SP incorporated something like the P-6 sequencer, it’s super powerful and I find it pretty intuitive in that box - not quite Elektron grade, but also not that far off - was one of my biggest good surprises about that one. But I also have my doubts about how this would port to the 404 hardware.

But honestly, in this box for what it is I just don’t really care that much. Nice to have a usable but basic sequencer in there, but honestly what I like about it is more to do with off the grid stuff anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah I feel you’re on the money with the button combo. Not only will you need to learn the SP vanilla but then the Doom OS overlay. Saying that I can see myself learning it with some time, just using the features I want. I love the SPs, the way they sample and resample and plus ability to use my guitar was the biggest selling point. But nowadays instead of dilla, I just programming my beats majority of times.

(post deleted by author)

3 Likes

Hell yeah, that DOOM OS looks really promising.

3 Likes

I’ve used the Dakim-style/delay looper to make drumloops a few years ago when i saw this video. You can get some really nice happy accidents when you manipulate the delay time. Some nice glitchy stuff.

2 Likes

This looks very promising.

G

1 Like

I recently dusted off my og 404 and have been having fun with it. I really am keen on trying the new one tho.

This Doom is business looks mega promising.

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing out my most grievous error of making a generalization on the internet! Im really happy for you and whatever point you are making, which is no point at all you are basically turning the conversation back towards yourself. As for me, I will continue to not use the sequencer as I have since I bought this 5 years ago. I don’t really participate in this thread because it’s really a lot fanboy vibes

Really sick of this attitude on here