Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 2)

Grid edit like op 1 would be nice,
Z

This would be the first actual useful alt firmware for any device yet!

All the nerds who can’t finish tracks because of “reasons” and “use cases” now have a whole new way to distract themselves from making music. Fine with me I just wish they would stfu about it

7 Likes

Would love if you’d break down a bit more your musical approach.
You sample the radio via Move and then apply the same foliage looper beat technique?
I’m also very inspired by foliagebeats approach and have since watching his vids, applied it to my musical approach. So freeing!

1 Like

Better sequencer I argue would be better, but I get what you mean with the BPM screen

2 Likes

Like many others, I tried the sequencer once and that was it lol. That was 5 years ago. I’ve always been curious if anyone has a better idea for sequencing on the SP, because while we all find it disappointing, I’m not sure how else it could be implemented?

1 Like

use an external sequencer … i love the M8, but there are many other options

1 Like

Yeah obviously. I’m talking about not doing that though. Like is there really a better way?

I’ve been pretty clear for a long time that “the community” online is really at least 3 different “communities” - collectors / “gotta catch 'em all”, gear fandom focused on counting features and following updates, and then people who want to make music.

The way things are going right now I feel like the people whose thing is following an ongoing perpetual beta and more features > whether it actually works as an instrument are going in a different direction and probably need their own threads / boards to discuss this rather than drowning out everything else.

Also am I the only one who thinks the sequencer is basically fine for what’s needed on an SP. i.e. not very much.

14 Likes

Nailed it!

I wish it implement something like the op-1 pattern sequencer, the screen is around the same size but it’s the logistics of implementing it.

1 Like

+1, The sequencer works well.

5 Likes

We don’t. I love it for what it is (even before TR-REC mode) and find it the perfect fast, flexible, and creative tool for letting me build up increasingly layered resamples. Which is what the “404 sound” is all about for me.

If people want to push it in more/different directions, that’s great. But why use a 404 at all, then? Feels like there are better samplers to do that with.

9 Likes

For me I was raised on JJOS which showed me what custom firmware could do, then the Deluge blew my mind away when it just opened up the hardware and now the Move. In each instance each made me want to keep the hardware and showed how much powerful the devices were.

Also I think people are more cynical, why should we buy your next box when it could have been implemented already in the old to get the new features?.

2 Likes

Because people like the workflow of the SP, and don’t have or want to spend extea money?. I can see why people are excited.

That’s basically it, but I can break it down a bit more too! The whole process is pretty much just four steps:

Sample a drum loop (finger drumming in something and hitting REC to capture the loop)

Overdub with the radio (I do this similarly to how foliagebeats uses the vinyl, so the sound source is just playing in the background while I’m unmuting it rhythmically over the drum loop; the big difference is that I like to use a volume knob to get a bit finer control over transients)

Overdub a bass and other synth sounds (this is the part that makes the random stuff you get off the radio less random, and a decent bass line can make even a trash sample workable)

Overdub the kick again (I use a different kick sample for this so the transients stack up, and it puts the kick back in front of all the other sounds that have been collaged together)

The move is not necessary at all, but it does make things more fluid for me.

Absolutely agree with this. I’ve used the sequencer extensively alongside the Syntakt sequencer, and both feel like they fit the designs of the boxes they’re implemented within. One of the biggest pluses for the SP sequencer is how fine the micro-timing is, so it is much better at accurately capturing a live take; whereas, the Syntakt sequencer design allows for immediate interaction with the sequence as a playable object.

In less words: the SP’s sequencer is minimal, so it excels at pre-sequence playing. The Syntakt’s sequencer is deep, so it excels at post-sequence adjustments.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have zero qualms with the sequencer! The addition of the step sequencer made it even better. Make a bunch of loops and build out a tune with the sequencer is so easy!

I love my 404!

5 Likes

Also people expecting gear to be perfect for them, as if their own needs were an absolute standard !
Perfect gear does not exists, just get the best of it !

2 Likes

Recently sold a 404 on the basis I hadn’t used it for some time and was having a clear out. Hold their value pretty well.

There are a few people online that use MPC’s and SP’s that have recently been using older SP models again. May be a coincidence or there may be something new coming.

G

3 Likes

Prices have definitely gone up I feel, before you can get them below ÂŁ300.

But hear new ROland stuff coming soon, so hoping new SP?

I can’t imagine what a new 404 would consist of. Minus some irritating things. It really does solve a lot of problems as is!

That said, I never thought I’d see a looper in a 404 so I am more than happy to be wrong!