Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 2)

I always thought why Roland don’t use that screen more.
They gave it a nice bright screen but also hide stuff in some crazy button combos.

Nice to see some custom firmware on that thing!

1 Like

I’ve been gassing over a sp404 mk2 pretty bad for months.

Main things holding me back is I’m a sequencer guy and suck at finger drumming, but at the same time I love sampling and making sampled house tracks.

Tried the Move and hated the sampling workflow, despite warp being so clutch. MPC Sample was fun and immediate but the list edit wasn’t for me.

1 Like

I’m a self proclaimed 404 fanboy!

What’s great about it(most gear really) is everyone uses it in their own way. I can totally understand folks not liking the sequencer, especially those spoiled by Elektrons. To each their own as they say!

3 Likes

Exactly. I literally was defending it too. Its as good as it can be with the way the instrument is setup. I’ve been using SPs off and on for almost 20 years, sequencing on it is a crazy concept anyway. And since I’m here and probably wont ever be back… how is this box complicated exactly? Aww you have to remember some button combinations? If that is complicated, I’m not sure how someone even exists in this world. I’m typing on a device right now that I use 100x more button combos than a dang SP404mk2.

Its made by the company that invented the whole concept of xox sequencing in the first place! Believe it or not, the wizards at Roland might know more than us!

1 Like

Yeah Schwung has helped but the screen is too small if you’re a visual chopper.

I checked out the DOOM OS manual-- I have no interest in sequencer stuff as previously stated, but if it eventually includes functionality that I’ve been hoping to get for decades, I’d be excited, eg, pitchbend, arp, and a greater octave range.

On the one hand, I’m grappling a bit with the ridiculous amount of hacks and slop being released. On the other hand, I was a huge fan of JJOS when I had the 1000, which was a hack. It seems to me that the DOOM OS is more akin to JJOS than it is to just more software slop of yet another synth.

I dunno, I guess the thing is, JJOS was/is legendary because there was a certain amount of respect and mystique that came along with one person putting in the hard work for the community, whereas today, that mystique and respect is gone since it’s just too damn easy for anyone to build a wishlist, and poof, here’s what you’ve always wanted. I mean, even as cool as DOOM OS might be/come, it’ll never rival JJOS, for me, in terms of respect and mystique, which is fine, but man I already miss those days.

7 Likes

JJOS is the goat, he didn’t vibe code he actually wrote everything by himself old school style.

The whole influx of cfw I don’t really mind as I been raised with tinkering from the old days of computers, to android etc. it’s natural people are excited, their boxes are getting more juice out of it. The only thing I’m against is people charging for this stuff which is bullshit.

Also you know in music and elektron are going to be using ai in code too…it’s already happening in games and apps.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I’m all for improvement but I’m also grateful for what I have!

2 Likes

I figured the fact that jjos was manually coded was a given. Also, the basic version was free, but the premium versions were paid upgrades, although you could download them for free, but if you wanted to save a project, you had to pay up, if I remember correctly. Also, to this day, we don’t know who the dev is (unless I’ve missed something), they’ve remained anonymous for decades, hence the mystique. No such thing as mystique these days.

1 Like

I don’t mind paying as that was what I did. What I’m complaining about is the newer gen using Claude ai and charging for the firmware . I dunno that seems wrong as the person didn’t do any coding so to speak

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Unfortunately, I can see DOOM perpetuating the myth that the 404 is some complex puzzle that’s impossible to solve lol