Roland SE-02

I think that’s a question relative to your situation? Do you have any analog modules already or anything else comparable? Are other new options priced likewise? I really like it and overall it’s the best sounding synth I have right now (apples to apples). You might wait and see how the Behringer D is priced? The Monologue might be the another new option as well or a used Pulse 2.

1 Like

I think one of the things about the A4 is the filter arrangement can lead to dull sounds if the LP is closed to much, I tend not actually to use the LP unless I specifically want muted tones, I find that the SV filter can take care of most of my filtering needs most of the time.

Fair point. I have a modded werkstatt but rarely use it and that was close to the same price(after the mods). It’s just too difficult for me to try and dial in settings every time, but fun for sampling and experimenting. So, I love the fact that the se-02 can save sounds.

It’s just more expensive than most analog (and the rest of the boutique range) right now. I’ll probably get it eventually though.
I was just wondering if it was worth the extra cheese. Honestly, it sounds like it is.

I had a microbrute and even though it wasn’t so expensive, it didn’t feel worth the price bc it was very limited in sounds, imo.

1 Like

Totally gasing for this little beast, I found a way to fight : I set my 4 A4 voices into Unisson mode and dive from there !!
I try not to forget that right now a second hand A4 can be found for the same price as a new SE-02.
This thought might make me strong enough to resist !!

:japan: :muscle: Ç “:eye::eight_pointed_black_star::eye:” ? :ok_hand: :dragon:

1 Like

I love this thing so much. Instant gritty techno for me.

1 Like

SE-02’s sick

1 Like

I guess it depends on exchange rates, VAT and all that? In the US, the SE-02 is $499 and I haven’t seen A4’s that low. They seem to bottom out around $650 used or $829 new. I’d be all over an A4 for $500.

2 Likes

Why do these synths have to fight one another?

4 Likes

Images of a Nick Batt hosted Synthwars series

Oh, you must think I have shit for brains, and am not knowledgeable about synths or something.

No not at all. Unless these forums are for your educational purposes only. In fact, I don’t remember even saying anything to you in a condescending or attacking way. I’m sure you’re an expert, and much more knowledgeable than I. Just wanted to explain myself a little, I guess next time I should more straight forward?

Your enthusiasm for the Dreadbox is great. I’ve known what it is for months. Is it ok for me to like my Roland SE-02 now?

Sorry, I’ve just grown quite weary of everyone pitting synths against one another on forums. You seem reasonable so your opinion is appreciated.

Tbf, I was actually asking if anything was better earlier. Sorry for that.

Smiles and love y’all

That’s actually a really good point! If I had the spare money right now, I might actually be tempted by the idea, because the A4 in unison sounds absolutely amazing… alternatively using it as a monotimbral 4 voice poly would be also an option…

1 Like

Lucky!
A4 in Japan is still 1500 or 1100 used

1 Like

See ?
http://fr.m.audiofanzine.com/groove-machine/elektron/analog-four/petites-annonces/i.1315865.html

So hard to resist :scream:
But it takes the spotlight away from SE-02 in my mind :thup:

1 Like

I think the debate on functional values of electronic instruments versus the cost, just took the train at some point and left and we’re still on the platform.

Comparisons between the A4 and the SE-02 in terms of features, are pointless. The A4, for its price and feature set, blows anything out of the water now. Anything. At least here in Sweden.

We just gotta face the music that comes from these lovely machines, that the emotional values of any instrument, electronic or other, seriously trumphs any list of features. Sometimes, we rationalise our decision by saying “Yeah, but it’s got a delay” or “The sequencer’s just great”, but really, it’s like that episode in Friends when Ross makes a comparison list between Rachel and Julie, and Julie’s got all these great things going for her but it’s one thing she just can’t beat - she’s not Rachel.

For some, the SE-02 is just that. Who cares if the A4 can do a shitload more things? It’s not an SE-02. And if you love an SE-02, no A4 can replace it.

9 Likes

[erasing my mind like it was an OP1 tape and I never read these :imp: words while repeating like a mantra “I don’t need more gear”]

4 Likes