Roland SE-02

Excellent, I will be getting one as soon as they come here.

Thanks for your input!

Doesn’t every synth that has patch memory?

Not the Sub37, while in sequencer mode. Some parameters stick over patches, to make chaining more fluent.

Whoa, off topic! But I needed to get that off my chest.

2 Likes

I think what I’m trying to say is every time the DT pattern is triggered, the patch resets. If you’re bouncing between 2 patterns, the SE patch keeps resetting

1 Like

The DT did that to my Sub37, too. I taught it a lesson, tho. Found some setting, Program Change within the midi settings, and turned it off. That settled it.

3 Likes

I just got an email from GC saying that mine shipped!

1 Like

Just one.

What I like to do is to use the MPC live for setting the pgm chngs and banks of machines, and then using an elektron seq (OT in my case) to actually seq the notes to the machine(s). But of course you need a MIDI merge box to do this.

I run a “clock-only” MIDI to the elektrons from live’s MIDI OUT B (which distribute the clock amongst the elektrons via MIDI THRU chains), and all other data to non-elektron machines from MIDI OUT A. MIDI OUT A gets then merged with the elektron MIDI seq box’s MIDI OUT data, which then gets redistributed to the MIDI seq target machines. Its a bit messy but allows me to sequence everything with both machines :loopy:

I was doing this yesterday. Send clock to the DT and DT sequence the SE-02. Sending Program Changes per step

So good technology is so far advanced right now!

no, I meant sequencing the SE02 with the DT while sending pgm chng messages and/or CC automation to the SE02 from the MPC live. This way you can freely change the pattns on the DT and it will not introduce pgm chng (as long as you disable sending of pgm chng from the DT).

However, sending diff pgm chng per step with the DT also sounds like fun… Instant “complextro”

1 Like

Gotcha!

Filthy.

Check out this lead sound I stumbled across on the SE-02.

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2017-0806-se02-dt-lead

3 Likes

Djadonis, I have been using the Artiria VST of the Minimoog and I am wondering whether one can receate patches of the VST with the SE02 and see how close one gets. Would you be prepared to test this? I could send you a screenshot of the VST and we then compare the recordings? (the figure below is from the iPad Arturia Mini version - if you agree, I would prepare a patch in my DAW and send you a screenshot.

1 Like

I can try. I still need to learn how to INT a patch on the SE

Valid, but for me this is like inception level synth comparison. Can an analog synth emulate the sounds of the vst emulating an analog synth that is being emulated by the original said synth :clown_face:
I love it!

7 Likes

The new Behringer would sonically be a much better comparison I would have thought. This doesn’t seem to have the classic Moog sound to my ears.
Can definitely hear the Roland / SE sound more so with this one

1 Like

Oh shiz, I just checked and my lfo is still running even thought my synth is off, I have no idea how many levels deep I am… :hourglass_flowing_sand: :aw:

4 Likes

I just realized I am sleeping. You are all my dreams :heart_eyes::nerd_face::clown_face::cowboy_hat_face::alien:

1 Like

Hi Djadonis

I am interested in the Behringer Model D for its simplicity and hence the opportunity to learn synthesis with it. If one can however to the same with the Roland S02, I would buy that one since it has various extras. So, it is not so much about an exact comparison of sound etc but of workflow. Is it possible to take a Model D panel setting and transfer it to the S02 to get at least something quite similar? I include here a four bar loop, repeating a simple 1 bar lead pattern and a screenshot of the Minimoog patch. I’d appreciate your effort!

Olaf

Link to the 4 bar lead sound .wav file