Roland SE-02

Damn, that 127-step cutoff is really starting to irk me, again in this video. Such a shame, would have otherwise been a perfect replacement for my moog lp.

1 Like

Nice long demo.

4 Likes

mmm they didnā€™t seem too impressed did they?
I think we can say safely say it is very small now, without people becoming defensive. Even smaller than euro they say.
Whereā€™s those tweezers haha

I still think the knobs are fine, but Iā€™ve stopped caring enough to defend them anymore. Iā€™m most eager for this one to arrive right now; oddly, more eager for this than the Jomox Alpha Base I have arriving next month too.

1 Like

Maybe? Could also be English not being their primary language? I see some awesome stuff, some good stuff and some meh stuff in all of these videos. In any case, Iā€™m not discouraged and still very much excited for it. It wonā€™t be ā€˜OMG THIS IZ TEH BEST THING EVARR!!ā€™ nor will it be worst. I think itā€™ll remain really solid for the money and a very welcomed addition, but for everyone elseā€¦ YMMV. Knobs arenā€™t an issue to me at all, my hands are normal size, but Iā€™ll just map them to a controller if it present any issues.

Iā€™ve never owned anything (physical anyway) Moog and miss the sound of my ATC-X, so if this delivers any of that (and I see no indication it wonā€™t) Iā€™ll be a happy guy. Certainly wonā€™t be the last synth I buy! :laughing:

Same here. I have big (but not clumsy!) hands and no problem with tweaking any of the boutiques - even the tr-09, personally I like small form factor gear as my room is only 2.8m x 2m so it means I can fit a reasonable amount of gear in. Besides, as most parameters can be controlled by midi I donā€™t really see the problem.

6 Likes

I feel like a lot of perspective is lost on how futuristic and unreal some of this new gear is.

Forest/treesā€¦

3 Likes

In the EU its > 600ā‚¬ tho

the size isnā€™t that much of a factor I donā€™t think : like Daren says about the TR-09 - lots of people bitching about that but itā€™s one of my favourite pieces of gear atm : used it out live on Saturday night - dark stage / dry ice / flashing lights etc - no problem at all. And it smashed the place up like no other drum machine - other than an OG 909 obviously - can. Brilliant little machine - fits in my backpack, can run off batts if required or, like on Saturday, just powered ( & thereby syncā€™d too ) from the USB on my Macbook - less wall-warts to think about, great stuff.

Iā€™m not interested in the SE-02 ( I have my Moog bases covered ) but I think Roland are doing well with this form factor.
Iā€™ve been tempted to pull the trigger on a TB-03ā€¦but if this Boutique SH-101 is real then that might be too tempting : I have an original SH-101, but for live use Iā€™d rather have something with no keyboard & a sequencer that held more than one sequence in memory woudl be amazing.

1 Like

Boutique sh-101??

Edit: nm I see it now
:honey_pot:

Itā€™s OK to think the knobs are too small on this thing, itā€™s OK to think its a wonderful deal. Itā€™s OK to like it and want one, or to not like it and not want one, for whatever reasonsā€¦
There does not need to be a consensus on for example whether the knobs are to small or not, for some they are, and for some they are notā€¦
Itā€™s all OKā€¦
Carry onā€¦ :ecstatic:

7 Likes

Just imagine if there was ever such a thing as an SE-02 Mk IIā€¦

1 Like

Mini moog voyager. Cough

1 Like

We live in strange times, when I can get a new Analog Four for almost the same price as the SE-02. The A4 prices have dropped insanely over here.

6 Likes

600ā‚¬ā€¦will get me other bigger gear,ā€¦

Guitar Center says in stock! I really hope mine ships tomorrow.

1 Like

Interesting! Hopefully this means Sweetwater has their initial allocation soon too. I was hoping Roland didnā€™t jump the gun saying it would ship ā€œthis monthā€ (July) on Instagram previously. Update when you get a shipping notice.

I called GC, and was told they wonā€™t be in stock until the 17th. The customer service rep told me that stores have received floor models; which helps explain why their site says theyā€™re in stock.

2 Likes

I do like the base sound of this thing, healthyā€¦ cranking reso seems to eat quite alot of low end, but this was a 4pole LPF?

I have a feeling I too will end up getting oneā€¦ eventually. Not feeling the higher eu price tho. Running this into the A4 as an ext osc would be glorious!