Roland SE-02

I’ve gotten rid of almost all my synths. All I have left is a modded werkstatt. My plan was to use ipad and logic synths only from now on. So, I’ve been watching vids trying to prove to myself I don’t need this synth. The problem is this synth is calling me. the more I listen, the better it sounds.

Am I wrong, or does anyone else feel like there is something about the character of the sound that is special?

I like the crispy VCOs. They will cut right through a mix in a lovely way no doubt.

2 Likes

I’m not going to be the one to talk you out of it… :joy:

1 Like

I can’t find it now but there was a video (comparison with monologue maybe?) Where they have the resonance cranked while tweaking the filter freq, and there’s some really nasty stepping happening. That killed it for me tbh.

1 Like

I am going to have to wait until the second hand market spits some out at $399… because Digitakt is calling.

VSTs+ Max4Live LFOs is going to have to get me by in the meantime.

1 Like

I didn’t really listen to that one so carefully yet

edit; i heard it and monologue had none of that

In the video right above, at 0:58

1 Like

what? they use a 7bit internal control for the cutoff?? I hope this is not true… even my lil phatty uses 14bit values

Check the video again. He isn’t playing with the filter at all at 0:58. He plays with the x-mod section.

Think they are talking about this video

That’s it. 1:04.

Wow, that sounds horrible…instant show stopper for me.

It’s normal for certain synths to do at high resonance settings like that to easier enable tuned resonance sounds. DSI synths do so as well. Who cares about a smooth sweep with that type of resonance? I would never want that high pitched sweeping sound for any practical purpose.

6 Likes

Fair enough, I just didn’t think the filter sounded very good at all at high resonance, swept or not. I know lots of filters lose power with the res up but that’s usually polysynths, no? Maybe I’m too used to korg and moog monos but I expect high resonance to really beef things up.

That said, everything else I’ve heard coming from this synth is great!

Really? Most 4-pole filters I’ve encountered screech at their highest resonance level. High resonance is useful for creating sine waves, effects, and percussion sounds. Are you trying to create a typical bass or lead sound with the highest resonance settings?

This particular filter design is well-known for not losing much bass with the resonance turned up. Whenever I encounter a new filter, I get a good feel for its sweet spots with different frequencies, and try to stay within those ranges. I enjoy all types of filters. This just seems super normal to me.

I’m not talking about 100% resonance exclusively, just the character of the thing at higher resonance settings. From that vid it seems to lose the bass entirely and just turn into a whistle. Hopefully it won’t step when moved by an envelope or LFO, that’s the important thing. Hard to tell from videos anyway.

ok, gotcha. All those sounds from that 1:04 point sound like the resonating filter to me. I didn’t get the impression that the filter resonance was robbing any bass from the sound, but I guess I’ll know for sure once I get my hands on mine.

Mmm… You might want to check it again, at 0:58 he is playing with the ENV knob, not XMOD section at all.

EDIT: Eh… not really a ‘full’ review, but more like an overview. Still new content. :slight_smile:

Full review. Must be getting close to release to allow that and not just ‘demo’ content?

1 Like

Preordered one of these. Ticks a lot of boxes for me.