Roland Juno-X

Sure, why not.

New Roland synth supposedly coming Monday the 18th (Roland’s 50th anniversary).

Briefly showed up in the Roland Cloud then disappeared (so the legend goes).

Discuss!

3 Likes

Some rumor that it will be “hybrid.” I think if they put analog juno filters in there, it will be beloved by many for a long time. Same if its ACB, and even if purely zencore, it will be a nice more budget version of Jupiter X. If I didn’t have a 106, and whatever this is comes in under 1000, it would probably be tempting. Wondering if they’ll base it on 106 or 60 looks

Yeah, I was wondering if “hybrid” meant part Zencore, part ACB.

2 Likes

One can dream for analog filters, but judging by the Jupyter-X that seems unlikely.

1 Like

Well this could be interesting. I sure hope there is an analog filter and other analog components. Just looking at the name, Juno-X feels like it would be a smaller Jupiter-X. But the Jupiter-Xm, and even the new Fantom 06 provide a cheaper alternative to the Jupiter-X in the Zencore range.

I think they nailed the sound of the boutiques with the ACB, but some of them feel a bit too small and fiddly to me. I guess my hope here is that it is something bigger than the Boutique’s, maybe the size of a Take 5, that is all or part analog.

Will Roland finally give the people what they have been asking for all along, or will they just keep stuffing the Zen Core engine into different form factors? All will be revealed on this episode of Synth Secrets. Sponsored by Taco Bell. Because if there’s a company that knows how to take the same ingredients, but constantly create new products with them, it’s Taco Bell.

5 Likes

It would be weird to keep the X name and change something major. But it is the 50th anniversary, so who knows if that just means more products in general, or something unexpected

1 Like

The current Juno offering is the Juno DS, and that one just seems like a stripped-down Fantom. So realistically, maybe it will be just be another, less expensive board to get into the Zen Core lineup, and priced at around $900 - $1000?

The thing keeping my hopes alive is that it is for their 50th Anniversary.

1 Like

I’d be happy if it was a full sized Juno-106 ACB type synth with the adjustmentable filters for the different models like JU-06A

1 Like

Yeah, a larger package of the Juno Boutique would be nice as well.

I wish they would upgrade all of the Boutiques to a larger size. Even just the size of the Yamaha Reface series would be nice, and more playable.

2 Likes

Exactly

I would love seeing another reface in the vain of CS, that thing is brilliant

2 Likes

I love the sound of my Jupiter XM, but it’s a real pain to program. It would be nice if they make something stripped down and knob per function that can still showcase the power of Zen Core.

3 Likes

Completely agree. The scene-part-tone architecture is too cute by half. Just make the dang thing bi-timbral and we’ll take it from there.

So realistically, maybe it will be just be another, less expensive board to get into the Zen Core lineup, and priced at around $900 - $1000?

That would be great. But if this is a de facto replacement for the System-8, complete with ACB abilities, I bet we’re looking at closer to $1750. That’s also the MSRP of things like the Hydrasynth, Take 5, and Prologue.

1 Like

I mean, they didn’t land on that structure by accident. It’s what they needed to emulate the large variety present in their classic sounds. Maybe they shouldn’t have exposed all that complexity to those of us who don’t care about the goofy structure of an sh-32 or whatever. But then we’d be howling that they crippled it.

Oh definitely. If it is ACB and is similar in size and features to the System 8, then it will be more expensive.

If it is another, smaller Zen Core, then I think it will be around $1000.

But here’s to hoping it’s something fresh. A hybrid would be cool. ACB with analog filters would be pretty slick.

1 Like

How about a Juno-Xm :grinning:

1 Like

I’m in 100% if it’s more hands on and immediate than the xm.

Commemorative Roland anniversary products are scheduled for release throughout 2022 as well, with one 50th model slated for debut this year on April 18, the date Roland was founded in 1972.

Seems like an odd marketing strategy to announce you’ll be releasing a new synth on your 50th anniversary and then . . . not.

Maybe the 3.0 update was the announcement?