Roland Integra-7 any good?

Someone is trying to sell me a Roland Integra-7 for pretty cheap.

Now this isn’t a typical synth that I would be considering to get but given the opportunity I’m wondering if it’s any good.

My style is mostly ambient, IDM and techno, and up to now have mostly enjoyed working with analog synths (A4, DFAM) and working with samples on the OT.

From reviews online this Roland seem to be most appealing to session players or film musicians who want great modeling of real instruments.

But there are 6000 sounds on this Roland beast, and it has 16 channel 128 voice polyphony. Só I’m wondering if this might be something to consider. Might be some creamy leads and interesting synth sounds in that pool. But reviews focus mostly on real instrument modeling.

I might add that I do play the piano, so this unit might work as a nice non-CPU taxing virtual piano, or virtual “any instrument” for that matter. .

Anyone have experience with he Integra and care to comment?

2 Likes

If I had the money and found one for cheap I’d 100% go for it. I have a soft spot for those massive complex Roland synths like the JV1080 (even though I’ve bought and sold both a 1010 and a 1080…) and the Integra-7 seems like the next progression from that era.

At the very least it’d be an incredible pad machine!

3 Likes

Would depend upon the price. I opted for the xv5080 but would take an integra-7 if the price was right. I believe you can download all the srx cards for free into the integra-7.

1 Like

Loads of amazing sounds in those roland romplers, you’ll be able to find some beautiful pads, choirs, pianos and strings, as well as lots of percussive hits and pseudo-realistic instruments that sound really gnarly when stretched and mangled in the OT. Would be a great fit for your current setup IMO.

2 Likes

I’ve always preferred romplers for pads & ambient stuff. I’d go for a cheap Integra 7 in a heartbeat.

How cheap are you talking?

2 Likes

The Integra-7 already contains all 12 SRX cards, albeit you can only load 4 at a time.

It is the FA synths that can freely download SRX card data, albeit only store 2 at a time.

3 Likes

If I had space in my rack and money in my pocket I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Almost did too, but hesitated at the last minute. i have the 5080 and the 3080 both filled with cards but I’d happily have another Roland rompler or maybe the V-Synth in my studio. Amazing value for money and combined with some modern fx pedals etc. they sound just great.

2 Likes

Just bought one today from Thomann, really excited! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok so the deal is like this.

I trade my three months old A4 MK2, and in return I get an OT MK1 and the Integra 7. All in super good condition.

But I’m kinda hesitating on the deal. Am I crazy not to jump on it??? :grinning:

Not crazy, but maybe try to be philosophical about it.

1 Like

If you’re interested in the OT then yes you’re crazy for passing it up.

But really only you can decide that…

Yeah I already have the OT mk2, LOVE it!

Would just sell the OT mk1 I guess. Or have two :stuck_out_tongue:

Having two is actually not that of a crazy idea… it’s such an amazing effect machine.

It all depends on what you want/need. If you want the Integra-7 why not if you have the means. My reason for buying one was simply to have access to all the Roland sounds and take away any need for softare instruments and a computer.

Connecting it to a sampler like the BB and Digitakt will keep me busy for quite some time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got mine yesterday! Got to love overnight shipping from Germany to Sweden!:+1::joy:
First impression kind of overwheliming, so many sounds and great output from the unit!
Will keep me busy for sure!

4 Likes

Yes, the long period of anti-“rompler” bias has made people miss out on what really are some nice machines. I think now that true analog is so easily bought new from store shelves people will start to turn back somewhat to these digital machines. They have their place!

5 Likes

I’ve had one for about 2 years now. It doesn’t get used much because the interface is such a chore to use, and I hate the way studio sets work (comparing directly to my MODX in both of these areas). The iPad app or editor VST3 makes it easier to navigate things.

But I can’t bring myself to sell it because the sounds are top notch, and vast. If you have a controller that can send CC80 and CC81 as button presses, you can really get performative with some of the supernatural patches. They really open up the expression with acoustic instruments.

In addition to the built in SRXs there’s also the Axial expansions. You can check out this guide for the optimal method of getting all these sounds loaded.

3 Likes

I’ve been considering an Integra-7 to pair with my Octa for quite some time. Pretty much ready to go for one now, just need to decide what to let go of, as I have a unit in/unit out policy at this point. Seems like such a nice hardware solution to pair for a minimal Octatrack set up.

2 Likes

I have had mine for over a year, and found it quite easy to navigate from the panel, though the editors are great. Definitely recommend keeping a pen and pad around marking memorisable patches and if they require particular SRX loaded.

Seen complaints about the 64 user set limitation, and yes there could be more, but it’s pretty easy to store multiple studio set groups onto a USB key and recall as required. Uncomplicated workaround.

Only two issues for me are why cant’t ALL the SRX expansions be loaded at once. Would have only taken another 500-1000mb. The other is wondering when Roland will pull the plug on software support.

2 Likes

Thank you for the links, good to know which are worth installing!

Im using the ipad app, and find it quite easy to navigate, also don’t have to much problem with the UI on the unit either, then again i haven’t worked with it much so that might change lol.

What does the CC80 and CC81 do ? I tried to map the commands to my Launchpad and sent it to the Integra but didn’t notice anything. I haven’t gone thru the manual yet, but is there as CC list in the manual ?

Thank you!

Grab the MIDI Implementation document https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/integra-7/owners_manuals/

80-83 are “tone variation” CCs which as far as I’m aware only certain SN patches respond to. What I know for sure is that the Roland A-49 controller has an SN mode on it, which makes its 2 buttons control 80 and 81, and those provided some variations in SN instruments like guitars and whatnot. I believe these are “on or off” parameters so I think they want 0 or 127.

16-19 are another set of tone variations, and these accept 0-127 range values. The SN mode on the A-49 changes its 2 knobs to CC 16 & 17 (with an option to make knob 2 send 19), and the D-Beam to CC 18.

Edit: Example of the mappings on this SN patch:

For example, in the case of AC.Guitar SuperNatural Tones (SN-A):

• Strum MODE is CC19 (OFF or ON)
  • Strum Speed is CC17 (-64- +63)
  • String Noise Level is CC16
  • MUTE is CC80
  • Harmonics is CC81

So I may be wrong about which CCs are toggles and which are ranges.

And by the way strum mode is super fun!

Edit 2: Aha, the Parameter Guide document (see manuals link) lists all the parameters used by different groups of SN patches with descriptions of what they do.

I’m realizing anew how deep the SN engine is. A mere rompler, this is not.

2 Likes