Roland Boutique TR-08 (808)

I wish that on the 08 and 09 Roland had added a delay and reverb, it would have at least in some part negated the need for separate outputs for me, I use my Boutiques via USB into the MX-1 so panning is not an option. Having said this though any sound which I might want to effect separately from the others I will just sample it into the DT or OT and do it there.

I have been really enjoying the Roland Aira FX/Boutiques/MX-1 systems I have set up, of course they do not have the depth and flexibility (or pricetag!) of my Elektron setup, but they make up for it in their immediacy and fun factor always being in the sweet spot, actually same goes for my TT-303/606/78 and OTO Bam and Bim, hands on tweakers which are just so much fun to get something happening quick.

Its funny because in a way I have returned to my roots, in 1988/9 when I started out I had a 606, 303, 202, 101, Yamaha toy sampler a few fx pedals and a 4 track, later I added a Pro One and a few other pre-midi bits, then one day I took the whole lot to a music shop and traded in for some midi gear, but I never quite managed to recapture the immediacy and fun of that first setup, until now, Iā€™m loving it.

6 Likes

LoL, that is the most confusing sentence Iā€™ve tried to get through in a while.

Not tryin to be rude! Iā€™m sober and still had to try with one eye

12 Likes

oh man hahahaha

2 Likes
9 Likes

I actually read that one to my wife the other day just to make sure I wasnā€™t missing something. Try reading it out loud and it sounds even stranger! Say it as a matter of fact and its maybe the most fun sentence Iā€™ve ever read aloud

2 Likes

Heā€™s just messing with us in the best way! Sometimes I purposely ask questions that sound right but donā€™t make any sense to people while they are working. Iā€™ll smile a little and see if they catch on or try to answer but donā€™t quite know what the hell was just said lol.

2 Likes

Itā€™s just an old swami gnome sayin,
gnome sayin? :loopy:

3 Likes

The hairs on my neck just rose. This is the answer to every gear thread ever. :loopy:

1 Like

Aah soooā€¦ I get now

1 Like

Anyone grab one yet?

Guitar center has them in stock. No word on the one I ordered yet. According to the sales rep they are really limited in supply ATM. You can get them real cheap if you ask around, but no idea when you actually get them. A few weeks in august has now turned into MAYBE the beginning of august.

I was going to, but my Rytm+DT Live w/ TR-08 for additional percussion spice and transitions plan turned into Rytm+OT Live w/ Rytm perfectly capable of the spice/transitions.

OTMKII costing a bit more than DT + TR-08, but I do have every 808 sample imaginable already.
Rytm still the dense ball of gravity that controls my compass.

2 Likes

Yup. The GCs near me in Seattle have them. Just not sure I want to spend more $$$ on more stuffā€¦especially another drum machine when like Adam kind of said, I have like every sample from every machine alreadyā€¦

But still. The TR-09 is fun to program and dink around with. I imagine the 8 is the same kind of fun

2 Likes

I had about 5 minutes before leaving for work and couldnā€™t resist playing with this thing. The last 2 boutiques Iā€™ve purchased are super fun!!!

8 Likes

Are they available? Where did you get this one? :slight_smile:

I think he mentioned above. GC = Guitar Center

1 Like

Thanks. Sorry for missing that. Damn, you Americans get all the good toys first! :wink:

2 Likes

GCā€™s website said they were all sold out near me. But for whatever reason I didnā€™t trust that information. Called. They said they had one. Couldnā€™t resist even though Iā€™m broke :thinking:

And apologies for the low budget cell video. :flushed:

I can see these 909 / 808 replicas working well for the type of music you like to do. The heat will do a fine job of curing any excess ACB digititis as well I bet!

Now all you need is a wavestation, tg-33 or a D-05 and you can pretty much replicate all the classic technos :wink: A DT will be a great seq for em too

1 Like

Fortunately for me, I have zero experience with ever using a real TR. Iā€™ve only come close through playing vinyl or MP3s for the last 20+ years. With that said, ignorance to what a ā€œrealā€ TR sounds (feels) like is bliss :slight_smile:

I love these little boxes. They sound better than the samples I use.

4 Likes