Roland Boutique TR-08 (808)

Id rather get a tanzbar lite. Those things sound great and just offer so much more.

Another funny thing is that the instrument pots on the TR-08 appear to be bigger than those on the TR-808, gotta love the consistency :slight_smile: Anyway I pre ordered both the SH-01A and TR-08, roll on October!

3 Likes

You have to weigh the advantages of one vs the other.

One has parameter locks, individual outputs, and LFOs, the other has an iconic sound with a boatload of pattern memory, a compressor, and USB multitrack audio capabilities.

ā€œMoreā€ is entirely subjective.

2 Likes

Not to mention arguably one of the most elegant drum programming interfaces of the 20th century, the A/B fill in and realtime playability of drum patterns on the 808 set the bar for many later machines, certainly influenced Elektron machines, the fill function on Rytm is undoubtedly inspired by the 808.

6 Likes

I want this for my collection of stuff that i like but never plug in.

7 Likes

Will definitely be looking to get one of these to replace my OG 808 that was nicked some years back, cannot face the insane prices that original 808s are going for these daysā€¦

Theyā€™ve definitely nailed the styling on this one compared to the TR-8, only thing missing is the massive end cheeks

2 Likes

Ok, i see!

was this already posted? It has a comparison of the og vs the TR-08:

In all fairness, the settings are nowhere near closely matched, esp. the levels are off, but my ears still heavily favour the og BOBā€¦ the 08 sounds to me like nepheton vst

2 Likes

The Egyptian Lover video did make me giggle!
ā€˜Hereā€™s how you program a beat, Iā€™ve been doing this yearsā€™ - then misses timing laying down the kick! Hah!

3 Likes

Just one stereo out on it. Iā€™m assuming you can pan each instrument out to separate them. Thatā€™s the only rub with this little guy for me. No analog outs. And forced to use 96 24 and agregate device or have they changed that?

Still the same as in 09, same USB, hard pan only for the voices.

2 Likes

The 08 bass sounded weak as hell compared to the OG, but that could be the post EQ treatment they mentionedā€¦

The decay on the 08 BD was set much shorter than on the 808 and the level was lower, also the hats were much louder on the 08 and the snare was lower in level and had less body, I dare say in time we will get to hear a proper A/B comparison, the 808 sounded better in that clip but without equivalent settings.

6 Likes

Iā€™d pay 300ish au second hand but no way $550 in Australia. I have a Drumstation which isnā€™t the best clone but it has front cut, gain/dist, tune, sep outs ā€¦
Itā€™s funny how the tr08 is pretty much original except they had to add sub steps. Hi hat rolls are so hot right now. Lol.
I went to my local mall yesterday and before when walking past shops you would hear the good old 909 oh; tss tss tss tss but now itā€™s the 808 hats rolling like a mf.

Once the digitakt gets ob these small Roland machines will be great companions. Everything could be tracked out to your daw after working in them standalone. Only need a a few open USB slots or something like the overbridge. Portable hybrid set up. I wasnā€™t a fan because of the 1/8" jacks but Iā€™ve been playing around with the ju-06 I got and streaming into a daw and it totally changes the little box. Can wait for the digitakt to get ob too see how I can do with just those two machines. Might even add the 08 here if I like the work flow. Digitakt as the main sequencer controller say ableton, a couple of these devices and some outboard effects. Not sure anyone has a clue of the true possibilities of any of these new machines, the new Mpcs as well. Interesting times I must say.

AFAIK the roland USB audio enabled boxes need to be your main audio interface for them to work. Some of them also insist on a 96 kHz samplerate for your session. So trying to get the 08 to work alonside ovebridge might turn out to be a hassle/problematicā€¦

Iā€™ve been using the ju-06 running into ableton and playing out of my monitors all week, so Iā€™m not so sure about that one. Now overbridge might be an issue. I will have to check it out with my analog heat but I know for a fact I could run the analog heat plus my Roland eurorack units and out of my sound card. So hopefully the boutique series wouldnā€™t be any different

Edit: at the very least you could track them out by switching the interface. Too late tonight for me to change my setup around, but Iā€™ll keep it in mind for this next week.

1 Like

Yeh, when I first jumped on an 808 I thought what the hell why arenā€™t there any drum machines with fill and the switch. Classic plus extended came to my mind with the md but thatā€™s about it.
The google switch is classic gold.

I noticed this too! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll mostly use the TR-08 at gigs for transition beats, along side Rytm and Digitakt (which plays sample based synth lines and mangled phrases).

It costs the same as the Infinity looper I just sold and will serve the same purpose, transitions. The 808 sequencer is fast and easy to improvise on, and under the hood of the 08 I can hard pan the kick away from everything else to better isolate it from other sounds for eq and fx, using two mono channels on a mixer.

Iā€™d group the kick and toms together, and everything else can get a touch of reverb if splitting up the channels to two mono busses.

If I get one though, Iā€™d most likely just run everything dry and mono mixed through one of Digitakts inputs.

1 Like