Roland Boutique Leaked (JP-08/JU-06/JX-03)

yeah, stark contrast to the a4 as well

i was also kinda unaware of the bass aspects although my buddy with a real juno has been telling me for years. when connected to other gear i try to not use it as a bass since such a sweet poly is awesome, but i find a reach for it for recording bass lines and adding to the digitakt. very thumpy and clean, the moog is so recognizable that i feel like the juno gives a less colored great bass. although of course you can make it sound super roland, even deep 303 imo or raw and gnarly. donā€™t know what i would replace the jp with. who knows, might very well go with the sh, although i can get close enough with the ju to the sounds i would try to go for with the sh. or maybe put the money aside for a heat.

Hm. Might sell mine. I like it a lot, but it does offer little over my Juno-1 formy usage.

Iā€™ve used TAL U-NO-LX for so much for years so I knew all about what the design is capable of. When they announced the JU-06 I saw the reduced polyphony, and that it was 44.1 instead of 96k and thoughtā€¦ hmmm, nah, Iā€™ll wait and see if they make the same plugout for the System-1 (which I already owned). And they didnā€™t. :frowning:

I was contemplating the System-8 when that was announced for its Juno plugout but itā€™s (relatively) a lot of money and I donā€™t really have room for it.

But letā€™s keep it real :slight_smile: the SE-02 is the business right now. Heavy.

1 Like

well i for one hated that when i had the tr-8 and tb-3 i HAD to record 96. 48 is as high as i feel the need to record at. and properly cabled i get good recordings just out of the minijack. it seems that there are two completely departments (aira and boutique) and they donā€™t communicate well.

Tr8 operates at 48 with the latest firmware update

1 Like

ItĀ“s fascinating how I started to be interested in the Boutique line once they are soldout. I wonder if they will stop selling the 09 and 08, they would certainly be much more expensive soon. But I am still glad I did not buy any of these, my experience when I tried them at the musicstore was very disappointing. Yes, they sound good but the form factor is a joke, even to take it to gigs.

Ha, my JU-06 hasnā€™t even arrived yet, and I placed an order for a JX-03. Iā€™m super late to the Roland Boutique party, but I think these things are awesome. 2-3 of these and a Digitakt makes a fun, powerful rig that can fit on a tiny table.

From all the demos Iā€™ve been listening to, I actually find the JX-03 more exciting than the newer SH-01A. All those sync & cross mod options are really cool.

The jx sounds nice but patch memory is too limited. Havenā€™t playes the sh yet but it has a way cooler sequencer and arppegiates.

Makes pairing it with a sampler like DT or OT so ideal.

2 Likes

You complain the same way as all did when ju06 and jp 08 came out and now everybody is looking for one.
The tr 09 is awesome, sounds just like my tr 909 but not as B I G.

that IS a workaround, but still patch space is so big on the other 2, why the limitation on this one?. at least let me erase some patches i donā€™t want. the thing that i love about these boxes is how portable they are. sitting on the couch with headphones i can craft sounds with crazy modulation, etc. and save it, then start on a new one, etc. by now i am up to bank 4, patch 3. have 4 and a half banks to go to fill it. i build some stuff from scratch when iā€™m putting songs together, but i prefer separating the process. when i am writing/recording i normally just flip through saved patches until i hear what i am looking for.

Indeed the limited patch space isnā€™t for everyone.
And yet people still buy and use Moog Sub Phatties.

Yes this! cc control makes a lot of the factory patches more usable/customizeable

I like the JU-06 very much. I decided Iā€™m going to hang on to it. It sounds really good to me with just a single square osc, slowly modulating PWM, unison mode, a good amount of filter resonance, and the chorus on.

Iā€™m really enjoying all these smooth, buzzy sounds Iā€™m getting with the JU-06, Reface CS, and Modor NF-1m. I love the unique filters on all these synths so much, and they all happen to be digital.

2 Likes

So Iā€™ve never played with a Roland JX-3P before, but Iā€™m totally loving the JX-03. I dig it way more than the JU-06; itā€™s just far more interesting to me. The limited patch memory of only 16 is a major major bummer though. Iā€™m tempted to get a second one; this is my favorite Boutique so far. It makes good evil sounds imo.

1 Like

It does sound good and the knobs make for a better experience.

There is something about the sound of the JX-03 that is totally doing it for me. Itā€™s creamy yet crunchy. Just such a sweet sound to my ears. Iā€™m quite surprised by how much I like it because it costed me less than $200. Iā€™ve already created 6 patches I love, which only leaves me 10 more memory locations for patches. Iā€™m super close to ordering a second one. Iā€™m a huge fan of the soundtrack to Miyazakiā€™s Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind, and this synth totally reminds me of that soundtrack.

1 Like

Get something else (not just because iā€™m selling my jp-08 but variety is the spice of life) but different sounds, more patch space. These things are so great to program and too soon you are either gonna get lazy or have to make difficult choices. My number one is the ju-06 but not easily found. Also like the sh. I Like the jp more than the jx, crazy modulations and has a hidden feature to bring out the chorus) havenā€™t tried it yet.