Roland Boutique Leaked (JP-08/JU-06/JX-03)

Don’t own the JP8 but the JX & JU I have.
Yeah the sysex & mod wheel stuff is gimped but they are so easy to tweak on the fly & sound sweet doing it.
Found the Octatrack goes best with them - resampling the tweaks for temporary or permanent prosperity.
Running them into anything that can sample/loop allows repeatable manipulation.
The MD UW would be an entirely useable option for ‘temporary’ capture.

Shitty workaround for parameter locking - building some kind of sysex-cc translator in raspberry pi/Midi Pal/Midi-ox/Midi Designer

New firmware released!

Boutiques now send and receive MIDI CC#s for synth parameters.

Yippeee.
MD + JP08, here I come!

3 Likes

http://www.roland.com/support/by_product/jp-08/updates_drivers/352049

http://www.roland.com/support/by_product/ju-06/updates_drivers/352050

http://www.roland.com/support/by_product/jx-03/updates_drivers/352051

1 Like

Oh no! This is a really bad news for my bank account. :sweat:

1 Like

Same for mine.
Though on the fence with JP-08 vs JU-06.
Don’t care so much about authenticity of emulation. JP-08 clearly more versatile. But JU-06 more ergonomic and chorus is lovely.

They all sound great. Will probably get JP-08, but I need to rethink my setup first. This is so unexpected.

1 Like

Between the 606 TR-8 update, and now this, it is clear Roland is willing to listen to customers for updates.

If only they’d listen more to what we want in the first place.

man… i played with a JP-08 in guitar center and the fader throw is ridiculous… you can pretty much forget about fine editing from the front panel unless you are a gnome or something like that

but i guess with ability to MIDI CCs, you can just use a controller…

wasnt expecting this update - it also throws me for a loop because i was planning on trying a system-1m instead…

Yea, that is my only hangup with the JP-08.

Now that the CC# update is out, I’m considering the JX-03 also. It has some of the low level complexity of the JP-08 (2nd OSC/waveforms/LFOcomplexity), and the Chorus of the JU-06.
The hang up here is the lower patch memory. But I think I could circumvent that by mangling some of the fixed presets with MD CC# plocks, and have those saved in MD patterns.

No PWM, but the most cross mod options of all the Boutiques.

1 Like

:joy: That one had me chuckling at work. They do seem seriously tiny. Nice that you can do CC’s now though.

Damn… Quite THE thing that was shielding me from the GAS…
Thx Adam for the news !

1 Like

i had a mks-70 for a while (rackmount jx-10)… best pads of all time, easy - it was smoother than butter

i was thinking the jx-3p was related, but poking around it seems more like the predecessor of the alpha-juno or something…

now, the Jup-8 is one of my top 5 dream synths… so im really torn, especially with this new behringer news…

A friend of mine just moved to my neighborhood.
While helping him move his furniture in, he showed me a picture of a bunch of rack gear he gave to his old neighbor. Stuff that he didn’t want anymore.
Top of the stack was an MKS-70.

I was like “CALL ME FIRST NEXT TIME!”

Oooof.

1 Like

@AdamJay The JX-03 is the most overlooked, possibly because its vintage counterpart has less prestige than the other 2 models, but actually it is a very nice synth, capable of tones the other 2 are not, and it is a fair bit more flexible than the JX3p, also the envelopes are are much better than I remember the JX3p being.

3 Likes

yeh man - war stories…

when i bought the mks it was less than 500 on ebay - this was around mid 00s… i bought and sold quite a few vintage analogs back then, sucks so hard i couldnt keep them all - literally all of them are going for at least 2x higher prices now… some up to 5x more… i think i saw a moog mg-1 going for 800 the other day? like wtf? that was the first real synth i owned, cost about 175 on ebay iirc… back in dem late 90s…

2 Likes

I still have my MKS-70 and I will never sell it. Out of of all my synths, it’s one of few I can just play for hours using just one sound. Hook it up to a keyboard controller and just play and get lost in one of the lush pad sounds.

I’m sure others must have done this but not sure if it’s been posted…
basically tho I had removed the knobs I didn’t want to live tweek from my tanzmaus as the space is tight and I didn’t want to knok the tempo or tune knobs whilst jamming… enter jx03 and I realised the taller rubbery maus knobs are exactly what the boutique needs to make tweaking a breeze. The original (nice looking ones) are less easy to grip, so I swapped the ones I reach for most (with the ones I had removed from maus) …

Worked out a treat. Really happy with the 03 as a “synth” without trying to compare sounds, it’s jus a good little synth and more to the point dare I say had this been the sound of the original back then it would still be a classic today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just got myself a JX-03.
I’ve grown fond of Analog synth sound lately, let’s see where this one will bring me :smiley:

2 Likes

How are you digging that JX-03? I’m super tempted to get one at $199; that cross mod looks fun.

1 Like

For this price, you can’t be wrong.
I really love it, got mine for 200€ as well. Keeper !
But you won’t get into the FM territories you’re looking for ^^

2 Likes