Roland Boutique Leaked (JP-08/JU-06/JX-03)

Does anyone MIDI sync the JP-08 as a slave with Analog Four or Octatrack?
If so how does it respond to Start/Stop and changing the tempo?

MIDI implementation chart says it responds to MIDI transport messages. So it should start and stop when receiving those commands.

Is anyone sequencing a JP-08 with a Machinedrum?

Iā€™ve struggled to find a synth that jibes well with the MD MIDI sequencer, but have been trying mostly modules (Blofeld, Tetra).
Starting to think a knob/slider per function synth like the JP-08 may be better (CC# implementation be damned), and the upper/lower mode makes it all the more powerful.

1 mono MID machine for the lower, and a 3 voice MID machine for the upper.
64 JP-08 patch memories, 64 MD Kits. Seems like a good match.
Anyone using this combo yet?

1 Like

I think youā€™re looking for a polyphonic synth ?
I use Evolver dsk for MD. Nice combo, but monosynth.
Before I used waldorf pulse plus (old version), mono too.

I have used my jp 08 with octatrack, works well. MD I guess you have to factor in not have chromatic notes to work with. I have MD but cannot test as my boutiques are in another country right now.

Chromatic notesā€¦ No biggieā€¦

1 Like

I sequenced my jx-03 with my ot once and it worked perfectly. 8 chords in sequence, all with 4 notes. With 1/4 track timing to get super long chords, which i then sliced and played at will. Pretty cool.

I think that Boutiques can listen to incoming Sysex messages, while MD is able to send some.
Do you guy think there would be a way to replace the missing CC talk to control the Roland from an Elektron ?

Definitely not, messages are immediately incompatible, they are all device specific

1 Like

Thx friend. Well, cool. This keeps my GAS just cold enough.

Although, it would be relatively easy to implement a translator, if you were e.g. into hacky Arduino stuff and had patience :wink:

1 Like

This converaation just went over my head but when connected the jx sequencer follows perfectly and when sending midi sequence from the ot the jx plays it as intended. Any other midi implemantation is beyond me.

@Stemshade I just love using :elot: plocks on any synth, mate.
Externalizing the mighty :3lektron: sequencer on a Boutique would be so greatā€¦

@avantronica This Arduino translator youā€™re talking about would be pretty interesting to do actuallyā€¦ Iā€™ll think about this.

For my uses, the JP08 would go back into the MD input, into a filter envelope input machine, where I could do various p-lockage to it in the audio realm.
So the lack of CC# capability isnā€™t a big deal for me.

I had all the CC# capability in the world with MD sequencing Blofeld and Tetra, and still couldnā€™t get on with it.
In fact, for the purposes of recalling patches and kits reliably, CC# control on the MD did more to fuss things up. CC# messages would leave patches in odd states too often. This wouldnā€™t be an issue for most studio work, but my studio work is with live performance intentions down the road.
Audio domain automation via input machines is recalled much more reliably.

1 Like

I found the boutiques are quite fine without external CC control, as the boutique is so immediate interface anyway.

1 Like

Agreed. Itā€™s a shame CC control isnā€™t there, but theyā€™re a lot of fun regardless.

1 Like

yer would prefer to have it than not have it

I understand you guys.

Still I found many of my synths growing from being tweaked from my OTā€¦

Usually I sample what I think is good and I donā€™t necessarily use the little synths while jamming, so the problem of not being able to recall the sound is not really blocking me.

Yes, Boutiques are good and cheap. Guess Iā€™ll end buying one at some point.
So far Iā€™ve tried to put ice on the GAS :meh:

1 Like

The mod wheel CC# is there, but unfortunately that is hard-mapped to vibrato.
If only Roland would allow us to choose the mod wheel destination.

haha, trying to put ice on gas. puhleeese :stuck_out_tongue: does that ever work.

but yeah, sounds so good that i have a hard time deciding if i want my jx for bass duties or leave it for arps and chords. and connecting it to a larger keyboard really ramps up the experience. my only real gripe is that i hate most of the presets and then only have a few user patch slots. although i mostly keep it in manual (what you see is what you get) but i would like the option to store more. downloaded a librarian but havenā€™t fiddled with it yet.

and you should find them pretty cheap. in a moment of other-gas-weakness i had mine up on craigslist for 280, including the keboard, and it didnā€™t sell. fortunately because it would have truly been a shame to get rid of it for that amount.