Roads an Album by Tchu

Here’s my new Album, Roads.

Hey everybody, once again I’m very pleased to present this new Album to this great Community who’s been part of my life for several years now. If you would like to have more details about anything, just ask me. Enjoy the ride!

:orange_heart: :pray:

Ok, I’ll do my best to remember everything. :rofl:

Gear used : this list is not to show off anything but to illustrate that you can have a relatively complex setup and be totally in sync with everything.

• Elektrons : ST, DT, DN, A4, OT
  • Synths : Take 5, Memotron, miniKORG 700 FS, PERfourMER, Hydrasynth, Sirin
  • FXs : OTO Bim-Bam-Boum, Source Audio Nemesis and Ventris, H90, CXM 1978, Eventide TimeFactor and Space, some Ableton stock plugins (EQ, Compressor, Limiter), Ozone Elements, AH+FX, BBE 882i
  • Sequencers : All my Elektrons, NDLR and Vermona meloDICER

Workflow : I have an hybrid setup and I use Overbridge with the No Sync option. This way, I can start my sequences using my Master device (DT). All my gear is synced up with 5-pin MIDI cables, 2 MIDI thru devices and a Midihub (even my pedals). I can achieve a No Latency setup by using the Inputs of the Elektrons for my non-Elektron devices. So, all my devices are available when I need them for a specific task. Program Changes and Patch memories are handled by the Elektrons (DT, OT and DN have very flexible MIDI Tracks).

How do I build my Tracks : Usually, I choose a BPM, a Scale and a device (could be a Synth or a Drum Machine). On some Tracks, I start by doing some Sound design on a Synth and build around it and on other Tracks, I start by doing some Drum design and build a beat (usual stuff). All my Tracks come from one Pattern. I use LFOs, P-Locks, Conditional Trigs, Trigless Trigs, Scales and Live Recording of knobs to achieve some interesting Modulations. For transition sounds, I usually use a specific device (A4 is so good at this with all its possible Modulations, Envelopes, FX Track and Random LFOs). I think that this is a big advantage of having multiple Synths in your setup, you can set your Transitions once and then, it becomes set and forget for that Track (it has its own FXs, you don’t need to compromise).

Recordings : All my Tracks are performed Live (from 1 Pattern) and recorded on a Stereo Track using OB/Ableton Live. I try to Mix the best I can on the devices themselves but I do use some stock plugins from Ableton to cut unwanted Frequencies (EQs) or to compress some elements (Compressors). All my devices are on an independant Audio Track but I only record the Master (post FX). The recording chain is usually Boum > BBE 882i > AH+FX. The final touch is done using Ozone Elements (I try to do my best).

For the specific gear used for each Track, I will do it on the Bandcamp page later on (again, if I can remember it).

As reference :

If you have other questions, please ask.

Tchu

90 Likes

Daaaamn.

You are
so
so
so
good at this.

Absolutely brilliant release.

3 Likes

Tell me everything.

Kits. Workflow. Recording process. Just bring it.

3 Likes

So good!! Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

Hi Tchu.

Thanks for sharing,
I been enjoying your music this morning and I really liked it.
Big congrats on the release

1 Like

Just listened to the whole thing. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a brilliant album. It fits in perfectly with today’s day.

Ok, time for another listen.

1 Like

I am only at track number two. It rocks.

2 Likes

+++++
Bravo!

1 Like

A big thank you @circuitghost for your really appreciated input!

I’ll write a detailed post about the gear used (per Track if I can remember it :rofl:) and my process of composing and recording.

:heart::pray:

6 Likes

Thank you @Strutter, it’s my pleasure!

1 Like

Excited to wake up to this announcement, got some errands to run today, will give it a good listen.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for your comments!

1 Like

The first couple tracks are gorgeous. Stoked to listen to the whole thing later when I have time!

2 Likes

That’s how I started my listen! The first track was perfect for this ashen grey, late September day.

4 Likes

Got it downloaded. Will listen in the car as I drive to different music venues. Thank you for taking the time to release an album!

1 Like

I’m only on track two but this is great so far. Sortie 55 is awesome.

1 Like

I listened to half of the first track at work and fell in love. Now I have the tough decision of buying this now or waiting til Bandcamp Friday next week. I think I will show some rare sense of self-control and do the latter. Congrats on the release, @Tchu!

1 Like

At first listen my two favorites were Both Sides of the Story and Mystere Resolu. Mystere in particular stood out as I don’t feel like I’ve heard this kind of sample stuff from you much, it was good fun, probably a bit obvious but the breathy vibe of the vocal snippit was evocative of Serge Gainsbourg for me. Another great release overall, I’m continually impressed by your ability to explore a range of vibes and feels while retaining a clear sonic footprint that ties it all together. Great work!

1 Like

Top effort getting that all finished, nice mix of styles and vibes in there.

1 Like

Such great words and great support from you people. :blush: It really is heartwarming!

Thank you so much

@circuitghost
@Strutter
@ringokidf
@monomatik
@pumpkin_head
@ammanuel
@Odo
@m0ld
@papertiger
@selfup

:orange_heart: :pray: