RIP Sinéad O'Connor, age 56, passes away

Sad and unexpected news:

33 Likes

This suck. Been thinking alot about her and listening to her first LP after seeing the documentary Nothing compares last week. She was truly hardcore in alot of ways I like.

9 Likes

Very sad. Her duet with Matt Johnson in The The’s “Kingdom of Rain” is one of the most deeply beautiful songs I’ve ever heard. RIP.

11 Likes

We lost a legend. Anyone going through some tough stuff I offer this song as it always softens my heart

5 Likes

15 Likes

Fuck sake.

What a tragedy.

9 Likes

Oof. This hits hard. I remember being around 12 years old and watching the Saturday Night Live performance with my dad and the silence in the audience afterwards. That moment burned into my memory; her presence and her voice.

I’ve been listening to this one a lot lately because it absolutely rocks:

7 Likes

Sleep well, Sinéad.

One of a small handful of artists whose entire catalog of work I somehow connected with. Brave, deep, and inspired.

Thank you. We were lucky to have had you here.

4 Likes

Wow! RIP Sinead.
Her personality and music was part of my pop culture experience …used to work in a record store in Dc in 80s.

2 Likes

Tragic. Very brave person, refused to discard her feelings and beliefs in favor of more equitable sentiments. Very few people in her position have been able to do that. Taught my generation an important lesson, that not every entertainer on television is there just to smile for the camera.

22 Likes

True to herself and paid the price…lived an honest life.

5 Likes

This one feels way too personal.

2 Likes

Damn. So sad. What an inspirational life! :broken_heart:

1 Like

I do not want what I haven’t got, what an album, every track is great, one of the best ever vocalists

3 Likes

RIP to one of the realest. Blessed for her work that has kept resonating today. Way way too young to go.

2 Likes

Completely heartbroken. Love you always Sinéad O’Connor.

1 Like

Too damn soon.

1 Like

One of my total heroes so was hit pretty hard by this. I remember hearing The Lion and the Cobra for the first time after I thought she was a one (cover song) hit act and being totally blown away at how incredible it is. One of the greatest albums ever by anyone. Then read about and listened to more and more and realised how she was one of the greatest artists and certainly one of the greatest protest musicians the world has had. She had a tough time but deserves all the accolade, statues and rememberances we can give her.

As someone who hates the Catholic Church more than any institution in the world I’m so angry at the media and world for treating her so badly after her rightful calling out of the Church’s evils (before the countless further mass graves and abuse scandals to follow). I doubt the next SNL season will put out a tribute / apology but they bloody well should.

This performance where she rises above the boos to deliver an incredible act of bravery is one of the most spine tinglely and legendary things to ever happen on a stage infront of thousands of people.

During the booing, Kris Kristofferson told her not to “let the bastards get you down”, to which she replied, “I’m not down.”

The stuff of legend.

12 Likes

So sad to hear this news.

On a positive note, the tributes and articles bring back happy memories of I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got on constant rotation in my college dorm room spring and fall of 1990. My room mates and I were in awe at the power of her voice…

4 Likes

Man, that’s terriable. One of the bravest performers for being amongst the first to speak out about the churches immoral activities. You paid dearly for it. What a legend. Very sad indeed.

2 Likes