Ricky's Stem Prep for Octatrack

being open that you don’t know something is a strength, many pros/experts have gaps in their knowledge and are too afraid to admit it.

20 Likes

Yeah I have no issue with a guy admitting he doesn’t know a function but took the time to learn it.

His job is now Elektron so he’s going to spend way more time learning the machines in and out. Last time I checked, before this job he was just using these machines because he liked them. And parts didn’t really fit his workflow. Same here, i don’t really use parts that often.

Id prefer watching someone a little more musical who is not just a gear nerd, use stuff. If you don’t, that is fine, there are pages like loopop and sonic state that you will enjoy.

7 Likes

I think part of his appeal to many people is exactly that he’s not an expert knowitall but someone who shares his process of figuring stuff out - very accessible to viewers who are also figuring stuff out. Fine that it’s not for everyone indeed - I sometimes like his videos and some I skip. All good. I like the tone of him not trying to be an expert.

20 Likes

Sometimes it helps when you are teaching a concept to pretend like you learning along with your students. Or at least come across from their perspective. Doesn’t make him a joke. Just makes it part of the process of making Youtube videos. It’s a part of the medium. This can be annoying if you already know a lot of the concepts that they are talking about, and Ricky is by far one of the worst when it comes to this, but take it from someone who relatively just got into this. It can be very helpful when first learning things.

3 Likes

Also, most people don’t understand parts. Or at least do not know how to explain them. Before I got my OT I found a thread there “explaining” them and walked away more confused then ever. A good friend of mine who has had an OT since 2010 and does amazing stuff with it admits he doesn’t really use them. You can get a ton of use out of the OT without ever touching them.

2 Likes

You can’t use OT without using parts. There is always an active part assigned to the pattern. (Default is Part 1 of the current bank).

When you change bank, it implies a part change.

6 Likes

I own a drivers license for 28 years now, owning cars for around 25 years. Guess what, I have no clue, how every technical part of a car works. Mostly not because its complicated, because I didn’t need to invest time learning it.

4 Likes

I am quite sure, it is not his job to know everything of all Elektron devices. I am quite sure, his job is to present new machines, new updates and generate reach.
He is neither a support guy, nor a developer nor is he the main-master-musician Elektron hired. I would say, he is more or less a sales guy. And for my experience with sales persons, he knows WAY too much about the products already :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

On the contrary, it is better to avoid to remove the card, if you don’t want to bend the OT card reader pins.

2 Likes

Take a deep breath.

5 Likes

It is certainly possible to enjoy the OT without using additional parts, if you only stay in 1 bank of 16 patterns, and same assignments (slots/machines/scenes) for all 16 patterns - that is the part (pun intended) which surprises me, him being a long term user. Not hating on the guy at all.

2 Likes

I haven’t even used more than one pattern since like 2020.

5 Likes

There should be one for OT. It has an Auto Channel. Crossfader and scenes can be dangerous.

4 Likes

Iz done liked da boy ever since way back when he was Enrique Martinez, back then he didn’t even have a snare, and only had one layer to his kick drum boy I tell you… back then his hi hats didn’t even say hi they was very anti-social, but he done come a loooong way and iz proud… da boy make good music too!

8 Likes

images (42)

10 Likes

That felt like I just watched a commercial and an illustrated part of the manual.

He almost quoted the manual several times.

As an avid and fast reader, it was hard for me to understand the necessity / making of videos like this.

Recent events have changed that for me - not everyone reads. Not all manuals are available in all languages in which someone might read them.

Octatrack can do some really cool things, and how changing some things can affect the way other things work is something to get your head around - and even this is highlydependent on how you use Octatrack.

90% of all youtuber material.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I do find it annoying having to often skim through a 5 minute video to see how to do something with some piece of gear.

JUST LIST THE THREE OR FOUR STEPS AND WHERE IN THE MENU TO LOOK!!!

Man, rough life.

2 Likes

LEAVE RICKY ALONE! :sob:

10 Likes