Ricky's Stem Prep for Octatrack

2 Likes

FINALLY understanding PARTS? from a guy who recently got a job in this company? synthfluencer for who know how many years?
what a joke

10 Likes

Strong feelings

20 Likes

I admit to being confused by parts, and that is mostly because I listened to other people try to explain them (like in this video!) - but a single read of the manual and now they are ridiculously easy to understand.

Parts = STEM (scenes, track params, effect assignment, machine config), and thereā€™s a nice clear diagram near the beginning of the manual showing this.

This video really didnā€™t sound like Ricky does now ā€œgetā€ parts, or at least, he didnā€™t articulate it well.

1 Like

The CF reader is not necessary right? why not just use/mount the OT in disk mode

1 Like

I believe he said just to get a faster copy speed on the file transfer.

He mentioned in the video that copying files takes longer via disk mode than the card reader. I never experienced any issues in disk mode with transferring speed but I canā€™t compare as I donā€™t have a CF card reader.

1 Like

indeed. what a relief to have posted it here tho. thanks for your attention!

He could have used Silence Tracks right?

In that many years, have you ever heard Ricky refer to himself as a synthfluencer? If a bunch of other people have invented some role for a person, is that person then required to live up to all of the imaginary requirements these other people have invented in regards to fulfilling this role theyā€™ve made up? Has Elektron ever referred to him as a synthfluencer?

23 Likes

I like Ricky, quite genuinely surprised he didnā€™t understand about parts though, he has had an OT for years. It seems like for whatever reason parts have this reputation of being complicated, when in reality they are no more difficult to understand than programs on a MPC, multis/combis on any rompler, kits on any drum machine or what have you. It ainā€™t :rocket: science.

8 Likes

I think it just shows you can use the octatrack for years and it will fit your purpose without touching parts.

Like a lot of its features you can pick and choose which to use but it has so much depth you can always delve deeper.

I like how you can learn it one way then discover something new and opens up new possibilities

Good bless you Octatrack

34 Likes

I believe I understand parts just fine. But Iā€™ve never used them so do I really? Thereā€™s only one way to find out and I have no idea when Iā€™ll do that. I suppose when some ā€˜problemā€™ arises that seems like it would best be solved by employing parts. I hope nobody decides Iā€™m a synthfluencer before that day comes!

5 Likes

Yeah, folks. I donā€™t especially appreciate the attitude that not knowing parts makes you less of a musician. Plenty of people have made great music without using ā€œevery part of the animal.ā€

Do I know parts? Oh hell no. I make the OT work for me anyway. And the people cheer and clap.

12 Likes

I think, like most things with the Octatrack, ā€œgettingā€ parts means getting how itā€™s relevant and useful for your workflow. Doesnā€™t have to be some exhaustive technical mastery. I appreciated hearing his take, because it reminds me that I donā€™t have to swallow every ā€œpartā€ of the Octatrack whole. Keep exploring and find what works.

Oh, and (not directed at you, @brian3kb) donā€™t look down on others for not achieving Octa-enlightenment the way you may have.

7 Likes

It was an informative video sharing a simple solution that will be useful for a lot of new and current users. I realize after watching his videos over the years his Live PA rig is in a constant state of change, swapping out different pieces of gear that cover different tasks. Iā€™m glad heā€™s exploring the OT more finally. When I traded in my MPC1000 for an early model OT mk1 I had to figure out stems immediately to fit my performance style. Good to see I was doing it the ā€œcorrectā€ way 10 years ago :relaxed:

Happy OTing

2 Likes

In a nutshell, this. Iā€™ve owned, I dunno, 7 OTā€™s over the years. A couple of them were fairly longer term and very well used (over a year and played with at least weekly) and I struggle(d) with Parts so just ignored them and worked around them. No harm done! The OT is deep enough to ignore swathes of its functionality and youā€™re still left with a great experience.

3 Likes

good point. itā€™s just some level of expectation competence-wise given his background and professional activity.
whatever, itā€™s just yet another silly youtube title, iā€™m good now

I am thinking about using them for A/B/A style static/slice changes while using Track trigs live in an upcoming performance.

While Iā€™ve figured out parts, I suck at using the various record tricks, itā€™s a deep device crammed with features, I use like 20% of what it can do and Iā€™m happy with that :grinning:

And I love Rickyā€™s videos, as he always does things Iā€™ve not seen before or in a different way, theyā€™re visually well made and I look forward to them popping up each week!

4 Likes