Richard H Kirk RIP

Just heard by email from Mute Records about the passing of Richard H Kirk, original (and only remaining) member of Cabaret Voltaire. He was a huge contributor to and influence on industrial and electronic music, and he has left this world far too young.

Rest in power 1956-2021

23 Likes

RIP.

4 Likes
5 Likes

A genuine giant of electronic music - one of my heroes.

From the Cabs to Sweet Exorcist, XON, Sandoz… always brilliant, always with great new ideas.

the recent Shadow Of Fear showed how he was still at the top of the game after all these decades.

What a loss. :frowning:

7 Likes

R.I.P.

4 Likes

Very Sad News :frowning:

1 Like

way too young … sad news

amazing stuff from an amazing time in music

5 Likes

Fuck.

1 Like

A genius
R.I.P :frowning:

1 Like

this came out in april and it’s lovely. i first got exposed to richard’s work when my dad (a lover of musical weirdness) gave me a cassette of ‘mix up’ that he picked up second hand in a shop. ‘photophobia’ and ‘expect noting’ were tracks that helped shape my musical sensibilities as a young teenager.

3 Likes

A legend. :rose:

For all those not familiar with Richard Kirk and how influential he was look at this. 18 mins in in a famous documentary. Richard talks about the start.

7 Likes

Sad

1 Like

:frowning_face: RIP an innovator and huge talent.

4 Likes

This is such sad news… far, far too young. I can’t stress how influential he’s been in so many of his guises for me over the years. Growing up in rural nowhere, I remember first reading about the Cabs in a review of The Conversation in Melody Maker which made it sound like the best possible kind of dystopia… eventually was able to find Drinking Gasoline (and a little later Hai!) when I was visiting the city… finally hearing The Conversation years later it seemed the reviewer was actually reviewing their reputation rather than the music. But then hearing the likes of Sweet Exorcist or his later stuff like Blacworld or Orchestra Terrestrial and it’s always just worked for me. I also seem to be one of the rare few that loves Groovy Laidback & Nasty.

Anywhere, here’s a fave from his Nitrogen project which if I recall I first heard on a CD that came with Future Music magazine…

6 Likes

That’s too bad. Like many here I was listening to the Cabs in '80s and they were influential to countless other massive influences of mine.

65 is too young.

5 Likes

Oh my what sad sad news. One of the great geniuses of our time, we should consider ourselves fortunate to have shared the earth with him for a short time. His like won’t be coming again soon I fear. I for one would not be the same without him.

1 Like

My three kids all remember the Warp years, they were in elementary school and those discs were always on at home. For them this is like it was for me when John Lennon died.

2 Likes

A friend played this on the radio at the weekend and reminded me just how prevalent it was in a certain era.

6 Likes

I remember writing an essay on him/CV at uni. Amazing guy and a massive loss to electronic music and the diy-punk-ethic thing. He was the real deal. Rip Richard.

3 Likes