Rhodes MK8

I’ve seen posts on other threads about the MK8, but did not find a dedicated thread, so here it is…

Full Rhodes MK8 specification

• Tone Generation: Rhodes custom precision steel tines and tonebars.
    Tine and pickup rails in sustainably sourced Baltic birch.
  • Action: Rhodes custom high-impact black ABS hammers with in-built lubrication. Rhodes new design uniform height quad-zone hammer tips. Rhodes custom aerospace damper combs (bass, mid and treble sizes). Rhodes custom black wool damper felts.
  • Keyboard: 73-note (E8E80) Rhodes custom spruce keyboard by Kluge Klaviaturen GmbH, oak and beech key frame.
  • Pickups: Rhodes custom precision-wound alnico pickups with anti-slip adjustment for accurate voicing and flat-ended pickup heads for accurate volume adjustment.
  • Effects option: Rhodes custom precision-wound alnico pickups with anti-slip adjustment for accurate voicing and flat-ended pickup heads for accurate volume adjustment.
  • Front panel and rear grille: Black/Silver anodised aluminium.
  • UI Panels: Brushed-aluminium foil. Black with silver legend or silver with black legend.
  • Left side connection panel: 2x Balanced XLR outputs (L/R), 2x 1/4′′ jack outputs (L/R).
    1x 1/4′′ jack send, 1x 1/4′′ return. Direct pickup out via send socket (can be run alongside main outputs). 1x 1/4′′ left cheek block-mounted headphone jack, with independent headphone volume control.
  • Right side connection panel: USB (Reserved for future firmware updates). Expression control input jacks 1 and 2.
  • Power supply: 15volt, 4-pin locking XLR external supply with universal voltage.
  • Analogue preamp section: Analogue signal path from pickup rail to output. Volume, drive, envelope (auto-wah) controls.
  • Analogue EQ section: Active EQ (low, mid, high, +/- 15dB). Voltage-controlled mid-filter frequency control accessible by envelope and/or expression pedal for real analogue wah effects and keyboard- controlled slow-phase effect.
  • Vari-pan: Rhodes custom vari-pan circuit with rate and depth controls. Four selectable wave shapes (square/cats-eye, upwards ramp, triangle, sine). LFOs can be run into audio rates, performing anything from classic Rhodes stereo panning to modulated soundscapes and polyphonic synth-like layers. Use the depth control to blend between dry Rhodes signal and audio-rate modulation effects.
  • Stand: Rhodes custom telescopic polished steel stand in tough powder-coated black or classic mirror-polished chrome. Height-adjustable front legs. Packs compactly for transport.
  • Lid: ABS black, custom colours.
  • Case: Lightweight ply case with tolex, aluminium base plate, solid walnut option.
  • Sustain pedal: Rhodes custom twist-lock piano connector with flexi-cable. Damper mechanism adjustment access via rear badge. Chrome footplate. Aluminium shell. Rhodes folding protective rubber non-slip mat. Standard matte black, custom colours to match lid.
  • Assignable pedal control: Volume, mid frequency (wah), both (pedal 1). Pan rate, pan depth, both (pedal 2). Phaser rate, chorus rate (pedal 1, FX version). Delay time, delay feedback (pedal 2, FX version).
  • Weight and dimensions (approx.): 75lbs/34kg. 1153 (w) x 563 (d) x 225 (h).

Price: Unknown, but likely to be >>>>>>>>>>>>>> $75. heck, I’d be shocked it it was even a penny less than $7500

8 Likes

I was waiting for someone else to launch the thread, though i did mention it in a post. Thanks GovernorSilver.

Interested to read that they brought in Axel Hartmann to assist in the design, which shows me how serious they are about this.

They decided to obtain the rights to the name and the design too. First class !

Neither decision came cheap, and they also have invested heavily in making this the best Rhodes ever made.

It will be expensive, but it will also appeal to the player who wants the authentic. I think they’ll sell in a large enough volume, to make this work.

3 Likes

holy smokes… that looks clean. now i just have to develop my skills enough to justify having that in the house sometime before i die.

(cracks knuckles)

8 Likes

I am a sucker for Rhodes with tremolo or phaser - if that Vari-pan sounds any good, I’ll be hooked.

I will have to wait for a few years to get one in my house, as this has been an expensive year for me (sewer line repair, new dishwasher, roof replacement, etc.), but do have a parking spot in mind for it.

Not buying a Prophet 5, not buying more guitars, and other “not buying” tricks will help make this happen but it’ll still take time.

1 Like

Really looking forward to seeing more about these (5 days time I think). But have a horrible feeling they’ll be so far out of my price range it won’t ever happen for me.

Really like the sound of what they’ve done though. They’ve gone for it!

Good to see Bill Laurance support and endorse this. Expect to see a video or two with him. I’d love to see Cory Henry playing one too.

I have also been looking forward to this. Cool to see some specs out. it’s a sexy beast for sure. Looking at reissues like the Minimoog, Prophet 5, and now Rhodes, we are living in good times. Even the Waldor M, which is not an exact reissue, but more of a modern take on the Microwave and PPG was a nice move.

And just in time for Halloween, the price will definitely be the scary part. If synth reissues like the Prophet 5 and Minimoog were around $3,500, think about how much this will cost with all of those mechanical parts, tines and tonebars, along with all of the wood and metal. I am going to guess around $5,500 for the base model.

1 Like

Looks lovely! Something I’d want in my living room :slight_smile:

I’m sure it’ll be way too expensive for me to justify it…

2 Likes

I’ve just gone weak at the knees… a real Rhodes reborn? Yes please!

…can’t you just build one? (I believe!)

:metal:

1 Like

I keep telling myself it will be too expensive to justify it as well. But, a brand new Rhodes that I don’t have to put money into, and probably comes with a warranty is pretty tempting.

I remember about 20 years ago, I had friend who played in a band, and his main keyboard was having issues, so he picked up a Rhodes because it was cheap, just to tide him over.

I also remember around that time, I passed up a Wurlitzer that was $400 at a small local shop.

If I could turn back time…

2 Likes

I’d probably end up with enough scrap tines to build 30 of them in various “microtonal” scales that have never been heard before :joy:

6 Likes

I’m gonna use the “eat only instant ramen for 10 years” method to finance mine

3 Likes

Should we all go in on a tines group buy?

2 Likes

you know I would definitely make a trek out to Chateaux Silver to see that thing! (and bring whatever damn sampler I end up with along with me! :D)

Edit: I also start to think of gear in this way! lol

3 Likes

You’ll have to send us pictures of you and your Rhodes 10 years from now next to your bed at the hospital.

5 Likes

Did anyone sign up to get the price announcement on All Saint’s Day ?

I don’t understand how they can send hundreds or thousands of people the price and then hold off the announcement to December 1st … unless there is going to be two prices ???

Wouldn’t that be nice, $1000 off for the cogniscenti.

1 Like

We accept Mastercard, Visa, and Ramen Years Financing! How would you like to pay :moneybag:?

One price for All Souls Day, one price for All Saints Day.

(a bit of Catholic humor…)

1 Like

Hopefully it costs less than a vintage vibes instrument.

2 Likes