Return of the 90's Warehouse/House sound

I saw a post earlier for a M:S sample pack of warehouse stuff with a line saying that sound is back. Being more old fart than hipster these days I’m a bit out of the loop with cutting edge stuff however I do listed to my local radio station (UnityFM) and I’m hearing more stuff in that style.

What’s other folks take? And which of those sub-genres of the period are gaining traction? Techno was a pretty broad church and what was called techno in the early 90’s morphed into something else fairly quickly. Ditto Rave/Warehouse which was always a mix of techno, hardcore, trance, Hip House, Italian House etc etc.

If it is ‘back’ then I for one will be doing cartwheels! Ironically I’ve spent the last 10 years trying to break away from writing stuff in some of those styles, especially piano-driven, Italo style hands-in-the-air anthemic stuff.

Am I allowed to do it again?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Would love to hear what other people’s opinions

6 Likes

Yeh funny…there is a Swarm nostalgia gig cumming up In Sydney, Chris liberator is playing along with some regulars from swarm gigs all those decades ago. It got me feeling nostalgic and I spent the weekend smashing out hard techno 140bpm bangers with my A4, DT and a sub phatty because I now live too far away to go. I have been avoiding making this type of music because the scene was rinsed with it and wanted to be “different” but man it was fun and Elektron just seems made for this sort of thing.

4 Likes

If you see a phrase ‘it’s back’ when related to selling product it’s probably to make the purchaser think it’s worth buying

Sorry , just my take on it.

But there is still a strong interest in acid and elektro ( cpu records for example ) , 90’s electronica is still sounding strong ( though it’s probably just called electronica). … global communications just announced a new gig in London.

Whatever you liked in the past it is probably still popular.
An artist called special request has been doing a lot of 90’s style tunes which are proving popular , I guess it’s mostly nostalgia but they’re also well made.

9 Likes

Oh yeah baby

2 Likes

Allowed. Yes.

3 Likes

In the 90’s I remember hearing some brit popper saying on MTV “even a stopped clock shows the right time twice a day”. One of those times again I guess :nyan:

2 Likes

Acts like bicep are huge in dance music club scene right now and their sets are full of 90s type techno and house and you hear it in their production work

1 Like

“It’s all just little bit of history repeating”

5 Likes

There’s loads of hipsters ripping off Gabber culture at the minute. Their interest in the music seems somewhat superficial though, I guess they think they’re being ironic.
Dance music fashion in general does seem to be getting a bit faster and harder though, no bad thing in my opinion, anything to wake us up from the tyranny of 128bpm. :wink:

1 Like

The stuff I used to play out (and dance to on the other side of the decks) was mainly in the vein of the Italo House boom c1990 and the sound those tunes spawned from bedroom producers and DJ’s putting out their own white labels and promo’s. Not sure how big a scene that was beyond the UK club scene? Massive generalisation but at one time you could almost tell which bit of the country you were in by the music the clubs played. Piano’s in the north, organ’s in the midlands… But with plenty of crossover between clubs/scenes. Some of those white labels of the time are still highly prized and in my eyes, still cut it. I often wonder what became of the guys who made them? I worked with one guy who had an underground tune that crossed over… He’s was a senior manager at the local authority when I met him but was still messing about doing stuff for himself. In fact he offered me his Atari Falcon with all the midi files still on it for said tune! I could kick myself that I didn’t invest in that particular piece of Manchester history. As it was I just had his 24ch Tascam desk… He’d kept his Jupiter 8 and wasn’t selling that at any price!!

Song was Control - I’m Your Ecstasy If anyone remembers it?

6 Likes

interesting bit o history, pianos in the North etc. thanks for that :slight_smile:
I worked in a campsite in the French countryside about 14 years ago. one of the dudes who wrote trip to trumpton was a kayake instructor :smile: :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Love it!:grinning:

2 Likes

This sort of stuff was huge round these parts for years. There still a fairly healthy ‘old skool’ club night scene too. Breakbeat, piano, rap and synths…Whats not to like?

And a stone cold classic northern (Wakefield) self-released track…

1 Like

Wish the return of the 90s dancing came back.

Switch phone of for a few hours at least :wink:

3 Likes

Where are you people living? All of the 90s that are coming back around here is schoolkids adapting the fashion.

Still very interesting topic, seems to be a very common theme creeping up again and again in various threads.

IMHO it never really went away, especially in underground non commercial circles, it just evolves and continues, same as jazz, rock, pop or any other style. Occasionally some “influencer” or media outlet will notice and pick up on it, and it becomes a little more mainstream, but stalwarts and people really into it won’t concern themselves with this, aside from perhaps being mildly annoyed that it can become a bit ubiquitous and diluted, but good things can come from that also.

All of the above as always IMHO.

In my case I have been into acid (in its many guises) since I was 18, I’m 50 now, I’m still as much into it now as then, probably more so, and I have very much enjoyed seeing its development and fragmentation, and this applies to my own stuff as well.

15 Likes

love me some acid :slight_smile:

just found a decent Belgian label, WeMe records, the other day. I thought it was still running but seems they haven’t released anything since 2014. Still, some good stuff on it.

got any good acid labels releasing stuff currently?

and @Bunker any good warehousey labels u know of at present?

1 Like

Dinsync/Paul Barker http://www.borft.com/re-303-records-en

Quite a lot of stuff to discover at clone https://clone.nl/instock/genre/acid

2 Likes

Thought you’d be on this thread lol!

The OP ought to love your tunes… out to you mate, check ‘em out!

1 Like

Posthuman’s Balkan vinyl is worth checking https://balkanvinyl.bandcamp.com

4 Likes