Restoring Sound library Banks on A4

hello guys can you help me please i bought elektron analog 4 mk1 i did update to 1.40 very recently i had problems and did the Factory Reset, but now i only have the factory bank a and bank b available i have lost all the other banks c, d , e, f, g, and so on. can you help me by telling me how to restore them all I don’t know how to do it … thanks

If you did the factory reset, it means you reset all memories to the factory state.
So, basically, you lost everything on your +Drive, banks and projects, sorry for you.
Loosing our work is something that happened to everyone of us, I believe.

The subject of Sounds backup is a true one.
Way I see this, the only way to really backup Sounds would be to create a Project for each Bank, and load all Sounds of the Bank to the Project Pool, then save this project.
I still have to test it, but I think it could be the way.

1 Like

You can do a sysex dump of all sounds for backup purposes, but like LyingDalai said, everything is lost forever if you didn’t do a backup first.

With some simple coding you can then split the dump into individual sysex messages, one per Sound, and restore them individually if you want, or rearrange them on the +Drive to change how they’re grouped/sorted. I’ve got some scripts to do that, I keep meaning to polish them and share them.

Can you, really, for the +Drive sound library?
I might be wrong (and glad, then), but I think the sysex backup only takes care of the Project scope, so in our case only the Sound Pool and Kits, not the +Drive Sound library.

1 Like

thank you for your reply and help! where should i create a Project for each Bank ?? after this I should do the Factory Reset to get all factory banks back ???

You can dump all sounds, see [Pro Tip] You're backing up wrong!

And Help identifying installed sound packs has a script I used to extract the names from a dump. A full dump of all sounds is just a series of individual sysex messages, one per sound.

2 Likes

now my main problem is that I have only factory bank a and bank b e all the others are missing, unfortunately I have not done the back up before (big mistake) and I don’t know how to get them back, if I do the back up now I will only keep the factory bank a and bank be not all

that ship has sailed !

my sounds are more precious to me than patterns etc - i religiously backup sound banks any time i update the os, kits too sometimes

1 Like

You can’t get them back. They’re gone. That’s what we’re telling you.

2 Likes

there is no chance to have them back ?? in any way ?? even asking elektron for help? I have no chance? it’s a disaster …

how is it possible that in 2020 1 excellent company of musical instruments like elektron will not give you the opportunity to recover the factory sound? it is definitely incredible

@mauronia I’m just hazarding a guess but the other banks were probably created by yourself and maybe the previous owner, hence not “factory” presets.
It’s an easy mistake to make and one many of us have made, but unfortunately, our friends above are sadly correct. They no longer exist.
It is a an absolute gutter but try to put a positive spin on it. You’ve got a beautifully clean slate on which to create a whole new collection of sounds/kits/patterns.
There are several soundpacks available free of charge at https://www.elektron.se/soundpacks/
and free demo downloads for all A4 soundpacks for kick off/ideas/reverse engineering, but sculpting your own sounds from init patches is immensely satisfying and the best way to learn the ways of the force.
My sincerest condolences for your loss my friend. :pleading_face:

2 Likes

thank you very much everyone for your help so the only way to fix (in part) my huge mistake would be to replace them with the sound packs for analog four mk1 2 (clearly different) 1 last thing with this big error how many sounds or banks have I lost in total?

It depends how many you had. If you were completely maxed out you would have lost 14x 256 (I think??) but this is an unlikely scenario.
One thought and the only slightest glimmer of hope for your old sounds, I get the impression that all of your lost sounds were not created by you, so if you were to contact the previous owner, maybe, just maybe and as long as they are not purchased soundpacks, as this is against licensing regs, they would have made a backup that they still have on a hard drive somewhere. Obviously, this is a long shot, but stranger things have happened.
Good luck.

eh ? you can always get the factory sounds back - just do a factory reset

the only way to erase everything off is to format the +drive - and you can still do a factory reset

there are no factory sounds etc on banks after B

2 Likes

you can’t share (or advocate it) soundpacks it’s against the software licence - let’s not go there - please fix your post accordingly and it’ll return

you didn’t exactly fix it so i took the liberty to edit the inappropriate bit - thanks for understanding

Devices can’t legally be sold with most soundpacks - so the documented policy here is that there is no excuses to be discussing doing it, no matter the situation.

2 Likes

Understood and nay bother at all.
My apologies. I was just trying to help @mauronia out. I obviously should have included the caveat that purchased soundpacks could not be transferred, but user created sounds are all good, yes?

2 Likes

I bought analog four recently and I had not yet saved anything and loaded no extra soundpacks, lost 14x 256 is a lot … I will try to compensate by putting soundpacks that offers elekron free and to buy

That is a worst case scenario and highly unlikely that it were that many. Anyhoo, go and enjoy it. :+1:

2 Likes

all the other banks after a and b that I lost are not factory sound ??