[Pro Tip] You're backing up wrong!

If you’re like me, you back up your A4 sounds once in a while.

I normally go to the sysex send section and back up “all sounds.” You’d think that means ALL sounds would be backed up, right? You’d be wrong! This only backs up the 128 sounds in RAM. I have many files that I thought included all sounds (with +drive), but they don’t!

Instead, if you want to back up ALL your sounds, go to the browser, tap a trig so that all the trigs light up and you can see all banks, click SELECT ALL then scroll down to the bottom and do SYSEX SEND.

NOW all your sounds are backed up.

I’m sure I’m not alone in this… I’m just happy I never formatted and tried to reload - I’d have died.

4 Likes

Awesome thx :+1:
I definately would have found this out the hard way. Same on the Ak?

Is this only on machines that have the plus drive?

Definitely the same with the AK. I own all machine except for the OT (I did once though…). The A4/AK is the only machine I back up religiously. I’ll probably be doing it with the AR, but I’ve yet to give it a shot.

1 Like

I was wondering aswell how you can export all sounds from the flash drive, but since i store most sounds in kits anyway and just ve to export project it didnt bother me much, yet …

Thanks for the tip, Biologik! Should be a sticky.

Just a fresh bump here as I needed to look up how to do this again and I encourage everyone to always backup :slight_smile:

Here’s a better description:
If you want to back up ALL your sounds, make C6 receive sysex, on the A4/K go to the SOUND MANAGER, tap a trig so that all the trigs light up and you can see all banks (or just tap one bank if that’s all you want), click right, click SELECT ALL, then scroll down to the bottom and click SYSEX SEND.

Now save it in C6 and you’re golden.

5 Likes

Can you back up a SYSEX of your patterns too?

you can backup patterns from the main sysex dump area.
The issue is that the sysex area where you’d think you could backup all your sounds only allows you to backup whatever is in the sound pool. This lets you backup any bank or every sound.

ah ok thanks! Only just reaching the stage where I am ready to back up. Initial learning period is done!

1 Like