Rest in peace, Lee „Scratch“ Perry

U really realise and see the magic and community of Jamaican music in some of the clips about him. It’s true living, working with musicians and sound in a way other cultures and countries really will never fully grasp, although we can sort of view and enjoy from the outside. It’s a blessing to be able to see that and be part of it be through the music. The way Scratch used the board is a true mysticism I don’t think I’ll ever understand.

2 Likes

Rest in Power!

1 Like
3 Likes

:green_heart: :yellow_heart: :broken_heart:

1 Like

AudioFanzine made 2 videos (in French sorry) to explain 10 production techniques inspired by LSP.
I find it quite a nice way to pay homage to the musician and explorer.

4 Likes

Nice, I’ll subscribe there. Also to refresh my French language skills :ok_hand:

My king is the music himself
So if my king dead
then the music will dead
But the music is immortal
The music gain immortality
How can the music die?

• Lee “Scratch” Perry
3 Likes
10 Likes

Lee Perry and his Black Ark studio are one of my all-time greatest influences.

I just watched this documentary on him the other day and there was a lot I didn’t know. I knew that The Congos’ album was considered by many to be his greatest work, and I hunted down the CD back in the day when you couldn’t just go online and buy everything. What I didn’t realize is that that was the recording session that triggered him to burn down Black Ark. In the documentary he goes so far as to call The Congos demons in the form of man. Wild. I’ll never listen to that album the same way again, particularly since I always thought of that album as really spiritual in an Old Testament kind of a way. Definitely worth watching the documentary if you have any interest in Scratch.

8 Likes

Awesome film

2 Likes