Rest in peace, Lee „Scratch“ Perry

Oh my…of all the dub greats, he’s always had a near and dear spot to my heart. I was just humming one of his many songs this morning. The world of music owes him so much. I count myself blessed to have seen him in 2000. He was a man of many beliefs, I hope one of them works out for him on the other side. Fly easy, you spirit from another world. “Dreadlocks in moonlight!” Jah bless.

2 Likes

Dubby doom with Perry’s wisdom in full flow:

2 Likes

The man was/is a legend, I still laugh when I think of him on ‘Hello Nasty’ when he calls the Beastie Boys the ‘Beastie Brothers’ :joy:

Those box sets will surge in price now :unamused:

RIP fella, throw them faders into the eternal reverb chamber, crank the delay and ride that feedback into the next life x

1 Like

One of the greatest producers/artists ever. Love his work, wish I could have seen him perform live. God bless Lee “Scratch” Perry.

1 Like

RIP

Back in the day I was a huge Orb fan and their love of dub and their namedropping led me to Perry and all sorts of things…

Phenomenal music

2 Likes

“I see the studio must be like a living thing, a life itself… The machine must be live and intelligent. Then I put my mind into the machine and the machine perform reality.”

5 Likes

This one sucks. People like Scratch should get to be immortal*

Although there are no "people like Scratch in all fairness. A true one off. Toast In Peace :cry:

2 Likes

…damn

2 Likes

Respect.

1 Like

:pray::heart::green_heart::disappointed:

1 Like

…even when the godfather of all dub is gone…dub is always here to stay…

4 Likes

Seems like one after another… Too sad. RIP Scratch.

1 Like

The man was a legend, and his work was a huge part of my formative years, I was obsessed with dub music as a teen. Unique and fully formed crazy person, and it’s huge shame that he’s gone. Thanks for all the music you created and inspired in others.

Rip scratch

6 Likes

I think it’s safe to say that without Scratch, modern music would not sound quite like it does now.

5 Likes

Oh woah in a few days two legend passed away RIP to you all…

2 Likes

Agree…inspired under the architect King Tubby.

1 Like

Absolutely. Lee Perry learned his craft in an environment almost unprecedented in its innovation.

1 Like

Indeed. To creat something timeless .

1 Like

I’d never claim to know much about reggae but i’ve seen him a couple of times in the past at festivals and both times he put on great shows and showed why he was headlining. There was a humility and a lot of love given in those shows that really warmed the crowd and made everyone feel great about life and it was almost spiritual being part of such a crowd loving his music and enthusiasm.

Sad loss to lose such a legend.

3 Likes

Wow. We’ve lost a legend this time. He was to dub what sun ra was to jazz.
His technique and whole approach are a massive influence on me even if I don’t make that style of music. I’ve never gone to the extent of burying my master tapes in the yard or anything but he’s the guy who first put the idea in my head to treat the mixer as an instrument like any other.
Big up selecta!!!

2 Likes