Rest in peace, Lee „Scratch“ Perry

Sad to see a true visionary go.

34 Likes

Oh man, this is so sad. His music has always meant so much to me. Such a great influence. I was lucky enough to catch him at a small club here a couple years ago, and it was a very memorable show. Rest easy Scratch, you will be missed by many, and you leave behind an amazing legacy and discography.

Here are a couple pics I took from the show at the Beat Kitchen here in Chicago:

12 Likes

RIP, Scratch. In case anyone wants an overview:

10 Likes

his dubs always had an energy, punch and vibe that made them stand out as truly unique. saw him live a few times when he was in his 60s/70s and was just magic.

(you can actually do your own dubs with these using your computers panning :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

His work and influence with The Clash is how I’ll remember him most.

1 Like

RIP - echo in the next dimension. :frowning_face:

11 Likes

Damn, a legend and true innovator has left the planet… I only saw him once, in a tent in Finsbury Park in north London for a festival about 25 years ago - he wasn’t on top form, but still further out than almost anyone else.

2 Likes

Sad, RIP!

1 Like

Jools Holland: "Lee, why is there a toaster on the top of that telegraph pole (outside his house)?
Lee: “Because I’m the toast of the town.”

RIP legend

8 Likes

He was staying with one of the members of Dub Syndicate. The latter returned home.

“Lee, where’s the TV”.
Lee: “It’s in the garden”

DS member goes and glances around the garden, doesn’t see it.

DS member: “Lee I can’t see it there.”
Lee: “I told you, it’s in the garden”

DS member inspects closer and discovers some freshly dug earth. LSP had buried the TV.

6 Likes

Been playing dub for decades, I owe him so much, RIP man.

5 Likes

This interview is great:

Echoes make thing sound different. You can repeat yourself in echo. If you want to say one word, and you want it three times, you put it in three-times repeats. I program; I command my word to be on top. And I command myself to be The Upsetter. And I command my song to be The Upsetter. And I command myself to be on top.

Rest in space (echo).

4 Likes

Lighting one up, meek and humble. Upset.

7 Likes

Ohhhh!!
I got into Dub in the 80s because of Lee Perry and later on learned of Tubby. Such a Hugh loss but such a great and honor to the development and influence of Dub. A Legend whom I had the pleasure to see him in the mid 90s in SF twice. Man legendary, maverick, mystic, genius.

6 Likes

he also got me into the riddim of dub, stil hooked after20+ years. a great loss for sure. l had the chance to experience a live performance once… what a charismatic person.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Oh shit. Man, he was huge influence on my musical start back in the '90s. Take it easy, Lee.

2 Likes

…what a massive attack…what a massive loss…

1 Like

Without music you are all dead; with music you are alive. There is nothing music can’t do.

Lee “Scratch” Perry

2 Likes

Responsible for an awful lot of money spent on vinyl back in the day. Very few bad tracks when in his prime, and even the bad ones were interesting. And his periodic “serious” come backs - with Adrian Sherwood in the late 80s and Daniel Boyle more recently showed he could still inspire (even if more in his latter days through entertaining babbling than actual studio work).

The Daniel Boyle/Pressure Sounds album in 2014 was way better than it deserved (or was expected) to be. Spent a lot of time that summer listening to this - a startling return to form at the time (albeit with a lot of help). His work on the dub side of Max Romeo’s album the year after also worth a listen. Two old men doing it right.

3 Likes