Resonate: fair, co-op streaming platform?

Anyone know about this?

Heard about it in this podcast discussing alternatives to todays capitalist business models in music distribution (starts a bit slow and academic but gets on point in the second half):

4 Likes

So it’s like bandcamp, but more complicated?

Looks like it’s got a pretty small library too, but it’s early days, I guess.

1 Like

Sadly it’s not early days. I signed up with this when it was early days, and they seemed to have the interest of some interesting labels, like planet mu. In the following years they seem to have spent an inordinate amount of time making a web player that actually works and restructuring the organisation.

I really like the idea but I’ve been disappointed by what’s happend so far.

2 Likes

That’s a shame.

I know Planet Mu have always struggled with the likes of Spotify, but they have a pretty decent presence on Bamdcamp, so it kinda makes up for it.

To be fair, I’d give someone £10 a month just to have unlimited access to the Planet Mu and Rephlex back catalogue.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed some labels have a subscription system on bandcamp. It’s usually “all the releases this month” rather than “access to the back catalog”, tho’.

The problem with “access” models is that they’re either stealth DRM (good for the host/label), or DRM-free, which is a massive loss for the label. I don’t know what a middle ground would look like.

Someone mentioned resonate.coop in my social media and of course Elektronauts has a discussion about it. Are there any users of this platform here? Asking especially in the context of Bandcamp laid off about half of company staff etc.