Bandcamp laid off about half of company staff

https://twitter.com/modernistwitch/status/1713962311579234428

about half the company was laid off today. some of the most incredible people i’ve ever worked with, including two of my amazing editorial colleagues @diamonde and @atoosamoinzadeh and most of the incredible support staff among many others. this is a loss, no two ways about it

Seems Songtradr (who acquired Bandcamp from Epic last month) are quick to make changes to Bandcamp…

10 Likes
4 Likes

oh, shit…

3 Likes

Bandcamp Staff Laid Off After Sale to Songtradr from Epic.

5 Likes

Does not bode well for the “people first” / “artists first” mentality which drew many to the platform in the first place.

21 Likes

A Monday layoff?

9 Likes

fuckin hell… wonder what’ll happen to the platform. it’s been a real UFO in terms of music ethics and I’ve never taken it for granted. here’s to hoping it won’t turn to shit.

22 Likes

“Unlike everything else?”

• everyone’s grandpa(when asked)
7 Likes

It’s hard to believe this isn’t a first step in a crap direction. I would like to be less cynical but I don’t like what I’ve seen looking up Songtradr itself and I doubt this is gonna be a good thing for independent artists long term.

4 Likes

Saw that coming. Bandcamp was an unusual company. We need a substitute ASAP. Maybe it needs to be run by some kind of trust, or else a stubborn billionaire who can’t be bought out… sux

5 Likes

Gutted. BC has been such an important thing for my mental health as a platform where I can just put stuff out and support artists I love directly.

I got an email recently saying I’d made £1000 in sales (minus their %) over the 10 years or so I’ve been on it, a few £ at a time which is amazing (I don’t really care about the money so much as the fact that there is a platform for strangers to chuck a few coins in the hat if they enjoyed what they heard).

Obviously thoughts out to all the people who have worked hard on our behalves who have been laid off, I expect the half that haven’t are pretty miserable too and probably just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Thank you so much for what you’ve done for us.

37 Likes

Time to build a competition. Shame about bandcamp, it could have been the service that could offer a competition with streaming services with a built in support of the artists

I’ve been complaining to my friend that the interface for purchased music could have been improved to replicate the Artist > Album > Song view from old mp3 players, while still offering the Playlists they’ve added. But it doesn’t look like they’re going to topple this streaming abyss

3 Likes

Enshittification:

22 Likes

I’d watch for any email communication notifying “impending changes to terms of user agreement”. There are many people with a lot of otherwise unprotected or under-protected content posted there.

4 Likes

can you please expand? In which way, the artists?

If the Bandcamp user agreement dictates what they can or can’t do with your content, and they notify of a change and give you an opportunity to opt out, but you don’t opt out, then there’s probably something in the original sign up “electronic signature”, however it would be referred to when you agree to terms, which says that you agree to subsequent updates of terms for which you don’t choose to “opt out” of the agreement at time of notification.

Just to put it bluntly, if they send a notice that says “there will be some changes to our terms, click here to read about it”, that may be their only legal obligation is to send notification. I don’t know how much they can or can’t use other people’s content for their own monetary gain, but if your content is there and it’s not registered with ASCAP or BMI or any registering body that makes sure you get paid, then you’re one of the under-protected.

The ability to further pursue any claims against a major company in any arena usually comes down to who can afford better lawyers for a longer duration of time, and I know I can’t afford any lawyers for any duration so I, for one, would probably be screwed. It’s a bit of a nihilistic perspective, but if you don’t protect yourself no one else will. It’s also not to say they will wantonly steal your content, but Songtradr didn’t take over for Bandcamp because they want to grow the creativity of artists as a form of charity work, that much is rapidly becoming clear.

9 Likes

Agreed. Which is why I’d like anyone with good ideas about (functioning) alternatives to post here, because I want to be prepared for the worst-case scenario where I have to take it all down quickly.

4 Likes

if all of this tech trash from the past decade is any sign, its a sign to remove yourself from centralized services when possible. if internet distribution is a priority, time to set up your own home server and get those boots on the ground.

or jump ship to soundcloud, sure they also suck and are horribly managed but they are so bad at doing everything they dont even know how to screw people over. maybe this is a good time for a renaissance for the OG in the game

nothing spells “we do nothing” like a company ending with an R and missing the preceding E.

14 Likes

Based on its current financials, Bandcamp requires some adjustments to ensure a sustainable and healthy company that can serve its community of artists and fans long into the future,” says a statement provided by Songtradr chief marketing officer Lindsay Nahmiache. It says the company will be extending job offers to Bandcamp staff over the next few weeks as the sale is finalized.

So sacking half your staff is called “adjustments to ensure sustainability and serve the community” and “extending job offers”nowadays.

Them lies, I deeply despise them lies. (especially from Chief Whatever Officers, they are the worst kind).

2 Likes

Fully agree, not sure why the Chief Marketing Officer is giving a quote in place of what should be the Chief Financial Officer, but then I’m just a pleb. Suggests their priorities though, doesn’t it.

1 Like