Red Panda Particle V2

I have a particle v2 on the way and wondered if anyone has tried mapping any of it’s CC to an Octatrack? There is quite a big list of CCs in the manual!
I was thinking that real-time/p-lock control of the deeper parameters on the particle would be cool to explore. But would need a 5-pin to microUSB midi converter (?Kenton) too.

Just received my v2 on Friday! The web editor doesn’t give any confirmation of changes so I’m trying to find this TouchOSC template they reference in the manual. RPL’s support links for downloads don’t have it for the Particle. Only for the Tensor. Anyone manage to track it down?

I’m not locating a TouchOSC template on Red Panda’s website either.

In the meantime, I’ve begun learning and exploring building a TouchOSC layout. It seems like TouchOSC cannot do SysEx though. Part of the fun and power in using the Particle’s current web MIDI editor is the ability to save & recall presets. So, I’m searching for other options, like maybe MIDI Designer or Lemur.

I finally got my Korg Nanokontrol2 working with Korg Kontrol in Windows 10 (effin’ nightmare to setup something so simple). My intention is to map parameters to it for the RPL. I’ve got a good lot of things mapped but my idea to map meaningful time divisions for delay, grain, and LFO rate to the mute, solo, and record arm buttons doesn’t seem to work as intended. But I only poked at it for an hour or so last weekend. It’s fun setting it ‘Modeless’ and having access to all of the parameters. Not sure what the time line is but MIDI clock sync is coming in the 2.1 firmware. That will be nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any Particle v2 owners here that have been able to succesfully upgrade the firmware? Mine simply will not upgrade and RPL support is non-existent. I emailed them back in May with issues and got zero response. Same issue now and I see that the most recent firmware update addresses my issue. Sadly, I cannot update and doubt I’ll ever hear a peep from support.

Anyone with insight on how to actually upgrade firmware would be helpful.

Thanks!

I just noticed a new firmware came out mid-June 2020. I will give this a shot and update this thread.

1 Like

Much appreciated! I followed the instructions in the download. When I copy over the .bin file it stops on LED 2. As per the instructions, I eject the USB device and it just sits on that LED. I let it sit for 15 minutes and nothing. Did a factory reset and tried again. Same thing. Checksummed the file as well and it was a perfect match.

I had this same issue when the pedal first arrived. Emailed RPL support in May and they didn’t reply. Emailed them again today but I have little hope that they’ll actually reply :(.

The update resolves output clipping which I seem to be experiencing from time to time.

It seems like I was able to successfully update for 2.0.3.p build 626 alright.

Like you, the pedal stopped on LED 2. As you noted, and per the instructions, I ejected the PARTICLE drive…

1. Drag the .bin file to the PARTICLE drive. The firmware update will
    take several seconds. The preset LEDs will blink in sequence from 1 to 4.
    If the firmware update pauses at preset LED 2, eject the PARTICLE drive
    to complete the update procedure.
  2. After the firmware update is complete, the status LED will turn green.

I recall the status LED being green almost instantaneously. I then disconnected the USB cable from the pedal and power-cycled the pedal. I then navigated to the Particle Editor in Chrome Browser and verified in the Config tab that firmware version: 2.0.3.p build 626. I also booted the pedal in USB Mass Storage mode and was able to verify that the 2.0.3 firmware was showing alright.

When you say it sits on that LED, was it a green LED? If so, I wonder if you could disconnect the USB cable from the pedal, power cycle, and be good to go?

In case it’s helpful, I’m running Mac laptop on Catalina 10.15.5.

1 Like

After I eject the device it just hangs on the second LED. The web editor doesn’t even detect the firmware though I am able to change the MIDI channel on it. I’ve defaulted the pedal several times and it’s always the same; it just hangs on the second LED. I hope support responds this time. Emails from May went unanswered.

Sounds like something is not right. As for the Particle Editor-- I couldn’t get it to work unless I out and ‘https’ in front of the url. Some esoteric stuff. Good luck with the support! I may need to go that route as I can’t seem to find the Sysex for retrieving a preset. I’m using Midi Monitor app too, but no dice so far.

Did you check page 30 of the manual? It has the SYSEX implementation there. It defines saving a preset but not fetching it. Maybe you can decipher a fetch based on their layout. Also, it mentions a JavaConsole that prints all SYSEX info when you use it. That might be more meaningful :slight_smile:

Edit: I see that they break things down in detail but they state that the properties aren’t published anywhere. You can do a GET but you need to know the property value which they state you can ascertain from the web editor. Probably selecting a preset location and doing a ‘load’ while capturing SYSEX. Should be easy enough to determine the property value for a preset.

RPL support just replied and the fix was absolutely silly. After copying the .bin file over and having it hang on the second light, she said to then copy over the .md5 file. It worked like a charm. It went straight to the green LED even before I ejected the pedal. Silly fix and one that should be posted as a troubleshooting step IMHO.

Happy to have it updated! :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats on successfully updating! Agreed-- a rather esoteric solution. Thanks for posting it here.

1 Like

I had one and I returned it.
Good construction and sound but I found that the results are the same or even better with max for live, puremagnetic plugins and a good midi controller like midi fighter twister or faderfox.
It was a difficult decision but now all my granular/glitchy fx are in sync easily and I don’t have to loose 2ins/2outs for ITB sound sources processing.

Yeah-- I’ve been exploring that, using an app called MIDI Monitor because accessing JavaScript console is new to me and was not making enough sense. MIDI Monitor allowed me to capture SysEx fine, including when I loaded presets via the Particle web editor, after which I copied that into Sublime Text IDE and ran a diff check between the normal SysEx versus when I loaded a preset. That’s where I hit a wall because it seemed like to shot of like 10 unique SysEx values.

I think I’m gonna pause on this as the learning curve is steep for me. And, it seems as though Red Panda is rev’ing up a beta version, with MIDI sync. Something tells me that SysEx will be changing with this update. Gosh-- I hope they’d publish a list of SysEx for us one day.

Per the usual, you can access the beta via Red Panda’s downloads page (link). Here’s the change log from there. Cool to see development is ongoing. I wonder what TRS MIDI means.

This is a beta release. We have tested the new features, but plan on adding some more functionality before the final release. If you prefer to wait for the final release before upgrading, watch our email list or social media for an announcement.

Build 19 (7/9/2020) adds:

• TRS MIDI support
  • Sync to MIDI clock
  • Control port supports external tap tempo switch
  • Web editor updated to support these features

Any M4L plugins in particular that you’re using and like?

I tried loading the beta and ran into the same issue. Sadly, the previous fix didn’t push it forward. Back to waiting for support and another fix. :expressionless:

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/3500/particle
And I usually make a chain with puremagnetic plugins in a fx rack.

Hi !
I am looking for a delay pedal for live performance.
I need something to be played when I switch project with my Polyend Tracker and I thought about the RPP.

I want the pedal to repeat the last bar of project A in my tracker and then loading project B with the pedal still playing. The thing is when the tracker switches project he stops every midi notes and clock.

So I am wondering if the RPP keeps the last tempo sent when the pedal doesn’t receive midi clock anymore or when the midi cable is unplugged ?

thanks !

1 Like

I was just messing around with my particle v2 yesterday in a similar capacity. I’m not sure the particle is really best suited for simply looping a bar of music. More specifically, it might be more fun to take advantage of its features (i.e. granular delays). You can freeze it with some amount of music in the buffer, then twist knobs for some wild effects while you ready the next project. I do believe it will retain whatever tempo it last had. Another solution for that is to just tap the tempo in while your song is playing.

1 Like