Red eye

Are these confirmed for usage on MD and MNM? My MNM display starts to have a little issue, would love to use the circumstances to give both devices a black screen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Best bet a support mail to elektron :wink:

1 Like

Elektron dos not recommend or confirm that these screens work, as they have not tested these… Anyone else tried the ones from buydisplay?

1 Like

Elektron has been know to put MnM displays on MDs when they are in for repair if requested.
Know a couple people that had this done, but the devices were in for other repairs at the same time.
I laso know people that got a “NO” as an answer to the request. Can always ask them.
Keep in mine they only server mkII models, no mkI

any nifty tips and tricks on how to completly desolder the screen that is in place? Desoldering pump does not get the last tiny bits and pieces out there… or shall one desolder the whole stacker on which the screen is placed from behind?

The linked screen works perfectly fine! But as already mentioned, desoldering the old one takes a lot of patience…

Phone camera does not do justice to the screen quality ^^

7 Likes

desoldering’s a bastid innit :rofl:

1 Like

dude, yes! MNM is up next, not really looking forward to it ^^

1 Like

May the force be with you

2 Likes

But then again not too much lest you suffer lifted pads.

1 Like

which linked one? :smiley:

This one! The backlight is a bit stronger than first expected, still much nicer than red or the previous blue screen I had.
Adafruits also offers a similar screen with low backlight for around 30bucks still I’m currently thinking about giving it a shot ^^

5 Likes

Just wanted to chime in with another confirmation of the buydisplay black on white screen linked by @ninqe above. Perfect drop in replacement for the machinedrum screen but as many others have mentioned, desoldering the existing screen is quite tricky and probably not recommended for beginners. I have a desoldering station and it still took me a long time to complete. I ended up leaving the header in place and taking the screen off from the front. Will try and upload some photos of the process…. Screen does look better than the old red one though!

3 Likes

First go at desoldering from the top…. Didn’t work and had to remove the ui board

1 Like

Then tried desoldering from the back but that also didn’t work…. So went back to working from the top

After carefully going back over the pins many times, finally got the old screen off. Removed the two button covers nearest the screen as it’s very easy to touch them with soldering iron and melt them!

Soldering the new screen on, a tiny bit of solder flicked up as I was working so I made a temporary cover out of the cardboard box to protect it

All done and working :grinning:

28 Likes

Looks amazing! I think I’m going to order one of these screens just to have in case I get the nerve to switch it out. Also wouldn’t hurt to have a replacement just in case.

Got mine replaced too, similar experience than @tyrone had to take it from the top

3 Likes

Did you purchase the same display? I haven’t quite gotten the nerve to try this myself, but I want to go ahead and order a known working display in case that day comes or I’m forced to due to screen failure. I’d like to have a replacement on hand.

Yeah exact same one from buydisplay.com Its so much better than the original that I would say to just do it…
I had it sitting on my queue for ever and regret not having done it sooner.

1 Like

Thanks! I went ahead and just ordered a couple of them. My luck is that I’ll wait, need it and if I only ordered one it was defective. Inexpensive insurance and future proofing. If I ever sell the MD, then prospective buyers will likely appreciate having a known working spare or possibly two if I haven’t done it already.

And thanks to everyone who’s contributed to the thread and given links. Hugely appreciated.

1 Like