Recording vocals in Octatrack with or w/out souncard

Hi there, a newbie question plz: I’d like to record vocals in the Octatrack MkII but I’m hitting an obstacle somewhere. I’ve tried connecting my Audio Technica 2020 directly into Octa inputs, no go. Now I ave it connected to the input of my Komplete 6 soundcard, which has phantom power, but is not connected to my MacBook (i’m trying to be completely DAWless for the moment). The signal’s going in to the Komplete, but nothing’s coming out - either via the signal lights on the soundcard itself or the Octatrack.
I’ve tried fiddling around with Dir and Gain in the Octatrack, to no avail. I’m sure it’s something simple, but I’d be happy to hear from anyone who’s encountered this issue, and any suggested workarounds.
Thanks

50 bucks and forever solved problem :wink:

https://artproaudio.com/product/tube-mp-the-original/

3 Likes

I have the blue one :wink:
Art preamp Studio v3.

But I bought a Perform VE, much more interesting imho.
Midi in, 8 additional voices, double, hardtune, 3 fx slots, sampler (8 voices), looper, drums, exhaustive midi implementation…
Cheaper version Perform V.

It’s possible to use a dynamic mic with OT, but it is noisy, for sure (compressor GAIN).

2 Likes

Impressive performance in the video! Looper with undo?

No undo. Apparently possible to use aux in for the looper, receiving midi clock (V2 update). I could synced it with OT, used OT cue + a DI to transform line to mic level.

1 Like

Hey @sezare56 if you got a minute I’d be very interested to hear how you incorporated the Perform VE into your Octatrack setup. I’m wavering between the VE and Roland’s VT4. I guess using either means there’s no need for a mic preamp (?), which is what I need primarily to record into the OT. Can you can confirm that ? Thanks !

I can confirm for PVE, there’s an efficient automatic voice setting (compressor, eq, limiter IIRC).
@Soarer What about VT4 as you have / had both?

Thanks ; ) yeah I just been looking at the VE manual. Will wait to see if your man replies on the VT-4, would be good to have an opinion on that.

I’ll say it this way just to be sure about the correct wording - The VT4 has phantom power, yes and I have been using it successfully with condenser mics. I have sold they VT4 and I use the PVE regularly and I am happy with it. Just for one exception and that is the weird choice they made about the scale for Hard Tune:

“This scale is the C Major scale (all white keys) with an added flat 7th for the blues-influenced variations common in pop music.”

So sometimes some disharmonic notes are passed through which is rather annoying.
Sezare and I have both complained about this at their forum so we hope it will be corrected in a firmware update.

1 Like

The PVE vocal sample synthesis is really intersting, and the midi CC control is really efficient.
VT4 midi control is pretty limited with CCs but the SYSEX control is exhaustive. (Would require good midi knowledge and a midi processor).
I tried most those parameters on tje PVE (red check).

Nice, thanks for the reply. I was almost sold on the VT-4 until I remembered about the PVE, which seems a bit more versatile.

1 Like

Great, I think for my uses - addingthe odd vocal sample to OT, and perhaps exploring live if the chance comes up - the PVE would be better; especially as Sysex is not my strong point ! Thanks again

1 Like