Recording midi notes from ableton…?

HELLO community !!!

I try to record midi notes from ableton (with push) into AR but it doesn’t …:_(

I can trig but not record .

I follow this example :

https://ask.audio/articles/creative-sequencing-techniques-using-push-ableton-live-to-control-elektron-analog-rytm

Maybe I miss something to set into the AR ???

Need help!

PLease :wink:

???

Have you pressed record + play (record light should blink). Just pressing record doesn not record midi input.

Yes sure I did!

1 Like

I found that the record option only works in MIDI/USB mode and NOT in the overbridge mode. I think it is strange since triggering from DAW to rythm works perfectly but recording to the sequence not.

Also the recorded timing is pretty unstable… But it does work.

Did anyone manage to get this to work? I’m trying this with the Digitone currently and I have the exact same experience. The notes from Ableton are heard but I can’t record them to the Digitone.

Try sending midi notes to elektron midi, enable it in Ableton preferences first then send notes via midi track to desired elektron instrument and channel

Hey, can you please explain this a little bit more detailed?
Via Overbridge: I can send MIDI notes to Digitakt that will be heard, recording in the sequencer is not possible
Via Midi Cable:

• Disabled Overbridge
  • Enabled MIDI Ports in Ableton Preferences
  • Digitone Port Config: Input from MIDI, Receive Notes: Yes, Channels: TRK1 - Channel 1; MIDI 1 - Channel 5

Tried various routings in Ableton, but MIDI notes will be not transmitted to Digitone. Do I have to set External Instrument?
Thanks for feedback!

As far as I can tell, this is impossible. :confused: I can’t imagine a company leaving something this basic out… but here we are. I like to use a MIDI keyboard instead of the RYTM’s crappy pads, but I guess I can’t.

External instrument set to autochannel should work, yes.

2 Likes

Confirming @eqvinox–>RYTM will receive midi on the selected track channel, but to record midi into RYTM you must use Auto channel.

1 Like

This is it :point_up_2:

Thanx.

Interesting, does this mean I can edit a midi sequence in my DAW, and then play it through the rytm?

Yes, instantly. You can also tweak rytm via overbridge. Once you are happy you can press rec+play and tweak further on the machine.
Really nice workflow!

So my friends, I tried this in Logic. Connected my Rytm via usb, in the rytm settings set it to midi over usb, channel 14.

I set it up in Logic as external instrument, midi channel 14. (I have no interest in overbridge atm)

When i hit one of the pads on rytm, i hear the corresponding sound and see a midi signal coming in in logic. When i record a loop in logic, i can record the hitting on the pads as a midi loop, great!

However, when i hit play on the rytm, and play a sequence, and try to record this as a midi region in logic, it records nothing.

What am i doint wrong? Thanks!

Monitor IN?

Have you enabled the Rytm to send midi notes from the specific track that plays your sequence?

this could be it, gonna check!

Hi guys. So, can A4 sequencer record notes from ableton via overbridge?

No it can’t via overbridge it needs to be regular midi

1 Like