Recommends on a eurorack filter

As topic ^^
Features vs cost always a consideration, whats your bang for buck go to?

WMD uHC. Two channels, multiple modes, expander option, very wicked sounding.

Polivoks. Just sounds great. LP and BP modes.

Makenoise MMG. Non traditional. Very unique hybrid filter/gate. Morph from LP to BP to hp. Strike input. Accent for resonance.

Definitely like the wmd one looks right up my street, seems to cover all the bases - the other also look cool but wmd seems pretty spot on. Thanks mate :slight_smile:

Depends on the sound you are dreaming of !!,

I don’t think high end in the euro rack world is all that great, especially for techno or electro

It’s just all weird east west coast American stuff which prOduces very fat and full farts and wind

I prefer Japanese space synths such as those made by korg or Roland

I do love arp synths and filters though

I had the make noise mmg and it’s not that great for my sound really - just a weird"filter which did nothing for me

I prefer doepfer filters and the wasp is where it is at for me - like a cross between a Roland and an arp

Not so keen on the MMG, much prefer MI Ripples, silky smooth & it growls! Most musical Filter I’ve heard, to my ears at least.

Koma SVF201 employs vactrols & that’s really nice also.

A lot of people rate the wasp too.

Never used Doepfer but they have a great reputation, especially entry level.

edit due to fact this forum is still crap on an iPad! :slight_smile:

I’d say the doepfer SEM filter is a sweetheart tone-wise, very musical, maybe not a ‘one-and-only’ choice, but an affordable slice of an iconic synth design

1 Like

Filters are such a personal thing!
I personally didn’t get along with:
MI Ripples
Korgasmatron II
Doepfer wasp
Koma

Favorite filters so far
TipTop z2040
WMD uHC
SynthTech e440 (may swap this out for a multimode though as i feel it overlaps with the z2040 and takes up a lot of space)

However, YMMV … a lot!

bangbuck is the frequency central diy roland filter. at the moment I like the sound of the serge resonant eq euro module best.

Filter are definitely a personal thing for sure.

The MMG is as stated not a traditional filter, and if you approach it as a such, you would be disappointed. It really sounds great once you get your head around that fact it’s a gate filter and with proper patching can lead to some very impressive results. Definately west coast.

Plenty of roland, sem, moog, arp, clones out there. I find most of them boring personally.

The synth tech filter is really nice but I do not own one yet.

So many choices…

Th 4ms spectral filter is about to be released. That at one looks pretty promising.

Thanks all - a lot to think on here.

2nd question (and I kind of suspect I know the answers will be marmite) - what do people make of the doepfer stuff in general? Is very cheap so much easier to fill a rack with, but what are they like in actual use? Which modules are genuine gems, which are totally passable? I think im in someways a little wary of them as they are so cheap - I listen on sc/youtube but 99% would prefer others advice on this stuff so I can research myself (and yt vids vary in quality with the demonstrators skills - can be misleading). Hell there are even vids out there that make the a4 sound crappy XD

Have you been over to muffs?
They’ll be loads of info over there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Korgasmatron crushes all filters.

Such a huge topic …
my current small batch of filters include

• VCF303 DIY
  • Rossum Morpheus and Evolution
  • Roland AIRA modular varieties

I’ve been eyeing that SMR4P DIY by tubeohm lately.

Think I need a lot more time to exhaust my current possibilities though; I think you could spend a lifetime trying out the options.
Mannequins/Whimsical Raps Three Sisters also looks very interesting.

In my limited read up so far seems choice ranges between features, musicality and extremism/surgically focused.

1 Like

I’d also suggest considering your envelope tool as a key part of how you make your filter work … not to mention gating, Natural Gate - though some might rightly say this is part of a coast to coast paradigm debate

1 Like

Reusing this oldy because I am looking to get a filter for my MN skiff. It only holds an ES9 at the moment. I have a DFAM/M32 outside the skiff and also a few boutique pedals I want to integrate from time to time (ALM, Strymon and some others have interfacing for this).

The aim is to have a filter or 2,3 and some performance modulation and fx, Thinking about getting a joystick also (planar, flame, doepfer,…) Tetrapad. Also an 4 bricks rook could be interesting to perform sequenced sound from Bitwig.

Also the modbap modular per4mer looks nice because it’s so playable and would replace my SP404. Just not sure about the quality of the fx, would like to try before buying it.

For filtering I am looking at the mew MI Blades and the 2020 Ripples, also Qpas of course, Schlappi 100 gritt and I found some more beauties … (this sh!t is endless) yea, I know :crazy_face:

So I will not add more sound sources for starters, will of course send/return audio from Bitwig with the ES-9.

Want to keep this a sounddesign/performance skiff, will not extend the HP amount furter for at leat 6 months. (Will move the ES-9 to 4MS PodX at some point).

Will also use the OT to sequence Bitwig.

Intend to make some abstract beats with this setup and finally get an album on bandcamp in 2021.

I am open to recommendations, hints and friendly enthousiam :santa:

1 Like

I would suggest the new MI Blades. I myself own a morgasmatron. Its clasical dual filter (korg ms20 copy). The blades add additional control over the filter poles which makes it even more perfect I would say. And eurorack is all about modulation. Dual filter can be overwelming at start, but sure you want nothing else after some practice. 2 Atenuverter are also really cool. Great for tweaking.
Succes

2 Likes

Blades ordered
2021 FTW

2 Likes

I just got a Bastl Ikarie, haven’t racked it yet but it’s a really interesting dual state variable filter in a compact module.

2 Likes

I think this sentence is applicable for the Morpheus alone!
So many different choices/options.
Sometimes feels like hard work with so many filter types to choose from.

2 Likes

Will check the vid. Thanks.

I am on the bastl newsletter so new it was out there, not checked yet though.