Reaktor 6

No standalone. They probably want to start a cloud based subscription service.

1 Like

Why would they go standalone. No need for standalone these days.
Their software is developed. The hardware is readily available.
Grab a laptop and a good controller e.g. maschine or KK in NIā€™s case.
Much more powerful than anything they could produce standalone

1 Like

A standalone DC coupled through box with faders and sliders would be kind of amazing for use with Blocks.

Maybe no need, but certainly attractive. A small-medium sized, Euroackable unit would be massively popular, imo.

1 Like

Mmmā€¦sounds good in theory but much easier said than done I would think.
Reaktor 6 is an absolute beast of a synth and canā€™t see how this could possibly be ported to a ā€˜small-medium sized euro unitā€™ :thinking:

Reaktor 6 standalone may look something similar to this :smiley:

5 Likes

I just canā€™t see NI going into Eurorack. Everyone gets a beer if Iā€™m wrong.

Edit: that doesnā€™t include them bringing out a DC-coupled audio interface for use with Blocks, which I think is more than likely.

Yeah a dedicated Reaktor to euro in and out CV converter box would be insane.
Being able to fire CV from reaktor to euro and vice versa would be next level stuff

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I am saying, a cost effective DC interface unit with either built in pads, faders and knobs. Like a monome or midi twister.

Details aside, isnā€™t that exactly what Nord G2 is?

I think itā€™s well within NIā€™s means to make a Nord Micro-sized unit with some pots, knobs and CV inputs and outputs.

Nord G2 is a standalone modular synth but is still fundamentally driven via the computer software. Quasi standalone i guess you would say.
I have owned the G2 twice, the best hardware synth ever but is pretty useless without a computer and the software program
There were rumours at one point a Nord G3 was being developed with a full array of CV in/out to communicate with euro but just a fantasy unfortunately

2 Likes

Hmm if you ask me this all sounds like shallow marketing speak for: ā€œweā€™re investing in a bunch of online and cloud based services, possibly even a subscription model. Because that is where the real money is. And we are so confident of this, weā€™ve taken out a massive loan from the bank to help us to do itā€

1 Like

Adobe have made huge profits from having subscription based offerings. It wouldnā€™t surprise me in the least if other companies involved in ā€˜content creationā€™ copied Adobeā€™s model.
We might see Komplete 12 being offered for 10 euros a month plus storage for content youā€™ve created plus some kind of licensing of your work.

1 Like

Ah. I think I understand the difference between the two.

Idk. Iā€™m not a developer by any stretch of the imagination, but I donā€™t see it being an issue for NI.

Is Maschine operable stand-alone or only hooked to a computer?

I think you can make Maschine standalone iirc. Pretty sure Iā€™ve seen guys playing on stage alone with it.

Making Reaktor ā€œstandaloneā€ is kind of oxymoronic because Reaktorā€™s strength is in itā€™s modularity. You would need an infinite amount of ins, outs, connectors in the real world because Reaktor has the capacity to be infinite. Same with something like Kontakt - having a standalone with it would defeat the purpose of having new libraries that would take up more and more RAM as they get bigger and more complex.

No maschine isnā€™t standalone.
It needs a host computer to operate.

1 Like

some people (like drum and bass dj Icycle) uses a mac mini without a screen, to make it work like a ā€œstandaloneā€ drumcomputerā€¦

1 Like

Maschine is nothing but a MIDI controller. It canā€™t operate standalone. What youā€™ve probably seen is people with a laptop stashed away beneath the booth.

Youā€™re right. I could have sworn I saw a guy in NYC playing dubstep who opened for The Orb using just Maschine but I must have been mistaken. And dubstep opening for The Orb went over about as well as you might thinkā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

that already exists, I do it every day. Expert sleepers ES8. There are further solutions, but for the ES8 you only need one USB connection. 8Cvs or audio from reaktor to your modular, 4 Cvs or audio back to reaktor. Works without any issues

4 Likes