Random horrible repeating noise when changing patterns remotely

Hi all!

I am quite worried about the issue that I have had at least twice:

When starting new pattern and sequence Digitone makes a loud horrible white noise type sound. This seem to happen quite rarely and randomly but it’s so loud and horrible that you cannot live with this no matter how rare it is.

Any idea what might be the cause of this? Am I having a broken unit or is it some kind of a bug?

Are you using arpeggiator with an LFO and a trig length of infinite? I’ve had a few crashes doing this but it usually resulted in odd/non-musical note modulation which deviates from the original sequence and continues even after the device freezing. I’ve only determined the arp with lfo may cause the issue and I’m guessing the inf trig length triggered the malfunction.

I’ve not found a true cause or fix. I can only assume this is a bug, but I don’t know if your issue is the same cause. If you can’t resolve it, submit a support ticket and I hope you find the cause.

Hi! Quick answer: no arpeggiator used in these

I think back up projects and reload OS but open a support ticket anyways, at least to document that there’s an issue. Also observing if any one common action triggers it. At least it’s not always happening, but I understand, I’ve also been frustrated a couple times and recorded the audio glitch output once just in case to document the issue).

I already reported this to Elektron and waiting for reply.

I am a professional musician and used Digitone on live stage. Now I am thinking that can I use it anymore. This noise is so loud that may even cause hearing loss :grimacing:

I’ve had similar kind of crashes on my DN Keys when I accidentally created a MIDI feedback loop- maybe check for that?

I used to own a digitone that would very occasionally freeze up and make a constant loud pitch at about 2000hz.

I never completely got to the bottom of it, but it seemed to either be a corrupt project or MIDI issue. I can’t remember which way around I had the MIDI set up, whether Digitone was master or not, but I switched it around with the Digitakt and I think that solved it, or at least it didn’t reoccur after I did that.

Thx!
this is an idea that also came to my mind. I need to check that. Anyway DN should definately not do that in any case because it’s so horrible and possibly even dangerous (causing hearing loss or damage to equipment)

I’ve had this on all sorts of things when doing a midi feedback loop, which happens a lot as I’m an idiot when it comes to patching my overcomplicated spaghetti-midi setup. I guess it’s hard to deal with something like that gracefully. I’d certainly check MIDI connections aren’t doing something weird.

1 Like

Had this happen one time shortly after i got my unit. In my case, respecting the 30 seconds rule fixed everything. Not giving digis enough time to boot/shut down will result in numerous weird bugs, some of which are loud.

Midi feedback loop would do it too for sure, but you say its happening randomly so its probably not it. Oh and make sure you are running the latest firmware :v:

2 Likes

I have this exact problem every so often. Not synced. I thought maybe it’s a USB / MIDI hub issue but not sure.

What exactly do you mean with 30 seconds rule? Do you think it would help my issue which is rare - you can have everything running smoothly for hours and then it happens or not?

Never turn the unit off then back on without waiting 30 seconds before doing so. It’s in all Elektron manuals.

I believe the reverse is also true; never turn the unit on then off without waiting 30 seconds.

1 Like

Yesterday I had with Digi connected to Nord Stage with trad. Midi cables, no computer, usb or other gear. This was clear indicator of Digi malfunctioning.

Yeah what @d4ydream said. And yeah, for me it removed all unpredictable bugs i was having, that were happening hours into using the device. You could run your machine in test mode too (func + boot), to check for ram errors, but i feel like your device is fine and just needs good on/off cycles.

Regarding midi loopback crashes, just gotta make sure you are not crossing any beams. These usually result in imidiate crash however, so i dont think its what you are experiencing.

I had strange DN behavior when not powering off and on correctly when I first got it. They do not like fast off on and vice versa.

No issues in a long time as I knock on wood!

I’m pretty sure that’s how long food that fell on the floor can be eaten!

3 Likes

Sounds like it could be this bug:

Seems to be caused multiple arpeggiators plus sound-locks.

1 Like

Hi all and thanks for input so far!

As a original poster of the issue I’ve done some experiments to try to figure out what’s going on.

first it’s not soundlock or arpeggiator issue. Those patterns which (quite randomly) make this horrible noise do NOT use arpeggiator or locks.

second I’ve done those things users suggested - running test mode, everything seems to be fine, I’ve done factory reset and kept this 30 seconds rule of powering off/on. No help from these.

Here’s what I’ve found:
It’s quite rare and random - sometimes I can use Digi for a long time and nothing happens, sometimes it’s more frequent. But every time it occurs it comes when I change pattern and hit play. This noise come immediately after “play” and then resolves itself soon after. In other words I seems that once a pattern is there and works it don’t happen no matter how much you press play/stop. It needs this change of pattern to happen. About the pattern change: I normally use Mac or other synth (Nord) to change patterns via Prog Change message. Both setups have triggered this issue.

There’s some hint that it might be somehow related to Delay. To test this and trying to make it happen I put Digi to very low volume (to protect my hearing and my audio equipment) and recorded it audio. So I managed to catch few these crashes. As said in the beginning the volume of crash is infernal, it can really make damage. This is why this is so problematic. But in my test with very low general Digi volume I could hear this crash noise delaying and then fading and soon (about two bars) this “delay” is gone and pattern plays normally. Does this say anything to you? Here’s an example (be careful with the volume):

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound like it

What you present is something that it’s possible someone might sound-design the device to do (it has a limited output level no matter how random the happening that you didn’t plan for) so it’s not going to cause hearing loss because its character is unpleasant

The DN doesn’t do this when it’s on its own (midi wise) and the device is not ‘crashing’ as you suggested, it’s possibly not even a bug

is your nord sending CC messages to the DN thus resetting synth settings or delay time/levels such that there is a burst of activity ahead of (or around) the program change and its reception

if you are a professional musician relying on this it’s your responsibility to dig a bit deeper into what ALL your devices are doing potentially

so firstly try to find the offending patches and see if it repeats, look into whether the devices dispatching the program change is also dispatching its patch data (and whether this can be turned off)

if you are not expecting to specifically control detailed sound parameters of the dn remotely then disable the reception of cc/nrpn in the DN

also as suggested examine whether you have bi-directional midi in case this is making matters unpredictable - if you have midi out to in both ways for two devices then consider why ?

if it’s not repeatable or consistent for you it might be a timing thing or more likely it relates to particular patch combinations or midi

either way (and before you even create a support ticket) you need to methodically document settings and setup and provide details and ideally try varying the reception of CC on the DN … with great power comes some responsibility

only then can you start to consider if something is amiss with the DN, my money is more on that not being the case tbh no matter how irritating the sound because there are too many unknowns and external factors to say otherwise yet

Did you listen carefully my example? After this “noise delay” there’s a normal drum pattern which is barely hearable. To study this I did put Digi volume to VERY low to record this. Imagine this low level of drum pattern to be normal level on a gig and then suddenly comes this “horror delay”. For sure this can cause damage!

Believe me I’ve done quite a lot of study with this. And still continuing to do so. I’ve tried different setups and used Midi Monitor to see what is going on.

Based on my hours of testing I has become more and more clear that it’s Digitone. First I took out CCs, then bi-directional midi - just Nord Sending Prog change to Digi. (Yes this is verified many ways including Midi Monitor - Nord send just Prog Chg, I took out all CCs (and btw it cannot in principal send MIDI clock, just receive it).

Then when I found two patterns A and B that can provoke it more often than others I took out Nord from the equation. Manually cycling A and B with Digi it does it - so there it is. No external MIDI involved in this problem.

I think I’ve done my part here and I am grateful to others here on the forum too. And I am also going forward with Elektron support.