Quiz me on the Octatrack!

This trick sounds dope… I’ll have to keep thinking about it…

I’m actually like 5 miles away from OpenMike in California… This is part of me getting my chops up to meet a master and hopefully have a session of awesome music making! Hes always busy but Ill get my chance…

4 Likes

haha

:coffee::coffee::coffee:
More to come apparently…
Try to answer so we can give answers! :smile:

Yes! (But is the OP the only one who’s allowed describe how?) :thinking:

@alextronica, can we answer after 12 hours? :content:

As the great sage @Airyck spoketh, Tuesday.
He’s never been wrong.

1 Like

Can you or how would you go about manipulating the perceived pitch of your entire mix of tracks to a user defined scale with the trig keys? :thinking:
And yes, we can kick it someday when the universe wills it to be so… :smile:

2 Likes

OMG! This is too much awesome for just me… So please answer away…

2 Likes

Of course you can, pretty easy with CUE resampling and midi loopback! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Or maybe setting all the scenes to lock different pitches across all the tracks so each scene = a full mix scale. then use a scene button and trig keys to change scales. Untried…

5 Likes

Even better! Should work.

1 Like

What? Sorry guys I don’t speak Russian, or Japanese. I’m going back to the noobs forum (hangs head in shame)

1 Like

That comes in handy, as i’m chewing a question right now: do you know if there is a cc/sysex message to reload the current part? Actually i need it for the rytm in order to reload kits, but the concept should be the same.

Don’t think there is any way to reload parts with midi cc.

Playback the recorder buffer that you want to overdub onto. This could be a sample from your library, or a newly recorded sample. Use SRC3 cue recording, and cue both the track playing the recorder buffer and whatever other tracks you’d like to use to overdub. Record another pass. Voila, overdubbing without pickup machines!

4 Likes

Yep. Used it, saying out loud Flex are the best, but in practice, if you want to keep the rigth level at each pass, after around 15 passes the quality loss is obvious with default fx, especially filter, degrading sound progressively, ending to a dirty rumble, a lot of dirty low end weird feedback.

Without fx it’s better, but Pickups seemed better anyway with a lot of overdub recording passes.

Maybe I didn’t used the best settings. Prove me I’m wrong! :slight_smile:

My conclusion was, overdub with Rec/Flex, yes why not, and it is a workaround if OT is slaved (overdub with Pickups is not possible if OT is slaved), but wanting to layer many synths like pads /drones with overdub I’d rather use Pickups.
Test it!

2 Likes

Ok, no answer so :

Method 1 : Hold Function + PRESS and Turn Rate (just a little bit harder :wink:) > only max values.

Method 2 : in Playback/SRC Setup, set RATE=TSTR, TSTR Off.

With method 2, normal or reverve only, easy random reverse with random lfo. :content:

9 Likes

Not documented in the manual, and particular.

It’s not the Auto Channel but any of audio track channel. If they are all off, you can’t control it.

About what the is midi channel of the control change sent by the crossfader :

It is the lowest audio track midi channel.
Default is 1.

If a midi track channel share the same channel as the lowest audio track channel, it’s the lowest audio track channel above. In that case, default is 2.
Etc…

AFAIK if all audio tracks midi channel are off, or if all active channels are shared, nothing is sent.
Do you think it’s better to add this in the manual? :content:

3 Likes

Hint word being “perceived” pitch…

-Master track with comb filter.
-Scenes locked to comb pitches to make your scale and also locked to comb mix to activate.
-Hold down scene button with fader all the way to that side and play the trigs.

6 Likes