Question for Analog Heat as a two-track interface

Hey guys. I’ve had the AH for a while now. It’s been the preamp to my two-track usb interface and it really improves everything that it touches. Love it. Anyway, my interface broke and i was all like “Hey I’ll just use the Analog Heat as my USB interface and all will be well!” I do just that, record myself into REAPER over USB and I think everything is awesome and to my surprise it’s recording only the dry signal. The Heat was Active, and it definitely sounded active yet it records dry. I’m sure I’m missing something super simple in order to record the effected signal but i can’t seem to find it. Any pointers? Thanks in advanced!

This thread might help. You probably need to route the fx from over bridge through send/return

2 Likes

This is great. I’ll go ahead and jump right into this thread. Thanks!

1 Like

I will be interested to see how this plays out. I looked at the audio routing diagram in the Heat manual (section 4.1?) and it looks like you should be getting a wet signal as long as the bypass is not active.

The above link to the other thread makes use of an audio interface that I believe you are wishing to avoid.

Also, see section 6.3.3 on page 16 for more routing info and settings for analog ins and outs…

I actually do want to incorporate the Heat as an interface now that my little Sound Devices Interface is down. I got into this a little bit before going to bed last night. I put overbridge on the effect channel and things were finally sounding proper. This was my first time using the Analog Heat as a VST but to be honest it was a little weird. There was a lot of latency. And Btw i run REAPER on a MacBook Pro laptop with all the latest OS’s and all that. But anyway OB kept asking me to change the buffer size and when i did it kept asking me over and over again to change the buffer. The weirdest thing is when i tried to bounce my song down it ended up sounding like digital noise. Not quite what I was expecting. By this time it was late and i had to retire. I’ll be getting back into this later today! Gonna read through that other thread now!

Heat is an analogue device and needs to be used in realtime - most DAWs will bounce tracks as quickly as the computer allows but the Heat won’t work that way as the actual sound needs to be sent through the analogue circuitry to be processed. Set the DAW to bounce in realtime and it will work.

1 Like