Getting analog heat to work with my setup

Hi, my setup consists of

Windows 10 Pro - Studio One (DAW)
Steinberg UR 44> Inputs 1 & 2
Analog RYTM (input 1)
Analog Four (input 2)
And then…
Steinburg UR 44 ( MAIN output) to Analog heat (INPUT)
And then…
Analog Heat (OUTPUT) to Speakers.

Now, ever since i bought the analog heat and used it as described above ^^^^…I have noticed that none of the analog heats actual sound processing is actually being recorded… So, i know that how I have things wired is probably an issue …But ive tried using AH as a plug in through overbridge and nothing… If i try to use it I get three crackling sounds and then my sound is completely gone and i hear nothing from there on… I guess my real question is " how do I record my elektron gear with analog heat through my daw…??

try putting the Analog Heat VST on a return track that sends to the master track of the DAW. Sounds like maybe you have the master track going out to the heat which means that it’s only recording everything being sent to the master, and you are hearing the heat afterwards.

1 Like

If you wanna record the audio of the Analog Heat, it needs to be before your Steinberg Audio Interface. So (synths) > (heat) > (recording device).

If you have problems using Overbridge, maybe you could tell us some more about the USB connection and the routing within Studio One. (Which is a DAW I now nothing about).

2 Likes

I’d love to be able to record without having to deal with MIDI as much as just playing with the hardware when recording…
How exactly do I hook up both RYTM + A4 into AH and from AH output into steinberg? I think getting an Octatrack would really simplify things for me…no?

anyway…

I have an overhub and connect all machines through it to my computer. I’ve tried using both ableton and studio one for recording and just dont really know how to makes things right. If it makes it easier for you to understand Ableton ill use it instead…

So i have both RYTM and A4 through my steinberg and steinberg is main audio device in ableton…

input 1 RYTM
input 2 A4

In this situation all I want to use AH for is as a effects plug-in, in Ableton.

Now if Im using all 3 through overbridge as VST’s plug ins in ABLETON. i have my computers soundcard as the main AUDIO DEVICE and have 2 midi tracks for RYTM and A4…AH on return track…??

Im more interested in gaining the ability to record strictly from the elektron machines. I like being able to make changes to RYTM and A4 with AH but cannot figure out how to wire up a simple form of recording all of it at once…

Here are some screenshots that might help.

Track 1 is the A4 OB VST, Track 2 is the output of Return A (which is the AH OB VST), and Track 3 is the output of the Return B (Decapitator VST). I have Track 1 set to sends only, but you can go master and sends if you want to experiment with parallel processing. Note that I did have to adjust the track delay on the decapitator plugin. Im using a MOTU 828 mk3 via USB in this example, probably would have been better to use the internal card but anyways there is some latency when you are routing sounds around.

Here is a shot of the arrangement view when recording. Each track is recording the output from their return, which just lets me go back and touch things up if needed.

You could just get an Octatrack and run the AR and A4 into the the OT and then the OT out to the heat, I do the same thing sometimes, but I wouldn’t get an Octatrack just for a solution to this problem. When you are working with DAWs and external instruments there is a bit of hustle required to get it going, but once you have a solid configuration save it and use it as a template.

2 Likes

Awesome i can finally go back to making videos… hopefully the new mkll octatrack works with my old gear… I would like to use it for live performances.

Thanks a bunch !!

1 Like

No offense, but seeing as you don’t yet seem to have the understanding of audio routing and flow - getting an Octatrack would not simplify anything.

…at this point. :wink:

You need to make a submix of your instruments (Rytm+A4) and then feed that into the Heat, since the Heat only has one stereo input.

This submix could be made by…

1. adding a small mixer that sums the Rytm+A4 to one stereo signal to be fed into the Heat.
  2. feed the main out from A4 into the inputs of the Rytm, and then the Rytm stereo out into the Heat.
  3. feed the Rytm thru the A4 and then further into the Heat.

In all these scenarios the Heat connects into your Steinberg and you can record the whole shoobang into your DAW.

1 Like

Your absolutely right Carl Mikael. I have no idea what Im doing…What you have advised has worked out great…
THANKS! I have been struggling with this since I got the heat. Now no MORE.

When i posted the screenshot I thought I had things right but when I exported the audio to mp3, all I got was glitchy sounds and feedback .

I get clear audio from exported files now…Perfect just what I needed.

Ill make sure to support you through patron and buying a “non binary” shirt…:joy:

Great stuff ! thanks.

2 Likes

Cheers!