Question about MD and FL Studio

Greetings!
Would there be someone using Fruity Loops to control the MD?im facing a stupid human error scene,and could use some help.actually im learning now how do do all this…
I would like to create automations in FL for some of the MD parameters and make polyrhythms with FL since there each pattern can have its own time signature but something is keeping me back.could someone help Please!
From TM-1 out goes to midi in in MD in goes to out in MD.
I set both MIDI in and out to TM-1 in FL.
I open a MIDI out plugin set the port to match with the midi out setting in FL. channel is set to 6 on the midi out plugin base channel is 6-9 and whatewer i try i cant seem to make it work…if i press play in FL the sequencer starts in the MD…but aside that nothing…
If i try to link a pot to a pot in MD i can link it…the link is made but nothing happens if i turn any of the pots i linked…weird…
Obvious human error but im unable to see the mistake…
Could someone help Please!
What am i missing-doing wrong?
Happy tweaking!

1 Like

Try a midi monitor like MIDITEST to check what midi messages you really send and receive.

I have FL and MD, but I don’t want to use my computer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you give us a precise example of what you want to do, and what you are currently trying in order to achieve that, we can advise further.

1 Like

Thanks Peter!i will try to tell as precise as i can.
im triing to link pots on MD to FL and set automations there,
and im triing create different time signatures on some tracks by triggering-starting them in FL at different times.

i connected TM-1 to pc,TM-1 OUT goes to IN in MD, IN goes to OUT in MD.
than i open FL,open MIDI settings,where i set FL to send master sync to TM-1,and i also set the port on 2 here…
for the input i enabled TM-1 too.
FL is Master MD Slave
on the MD i set the Base channel to –
in Map editor i leave Group on TRACK,the mapping stays as is TRIG is on START
Local control is ON
Program change IN and OUT is ON
Channel is 16
in Sync:
Tempo In is External
Control IN is ON
Tempo out is OFF
Control Out is OFF

like this if i go back to FL and open a MIDI Out plugin set its port to 2 and its channel to 16 click on a pot and say link to controller i turn the pot i want to link on MD and nothing happens :frowning: normally it should register automatically as i turn the pot on MD
and if i use the same plugin and on piano roll i set the note i set in MAP editor on MD(C2 for Track 1), set the time signature i want for that track again…nothing happens…
the sequencer starts…so far so good.
but aside that all is “normal”
im sure its a human error,but im the starting phase and cant see my mistakes…
Could someone help me out here?
Cheers!

if I am not mistaken, MIDI CC only works when the MD is set to the Midi channels 1-4. that’s what the manual and midi chart says.

2 Likes

:thinking: It should work with other channel bases, from what I understand from the manual.
Midi base channel is not precised in midi appendix.

CCs for machines 1-4 :

MIDI base channel + 0:

3 Likes

If you want to send midi data to FL, I think you have to set Control Out to ON

ON will make the Machinedrum send out MIDI start, stop and continue messages. Use this setting if you want to control and external sequencer with the Machinedrum. Pressing the [PLAY] key on the Machinedrum will then start the external sequencer, pressing the [STOP] key will stop the external sequencer and so on

And there is a mistake in the manual, no ? :slight_smile:

control and external sequencer with the Machinedrum.

Maybe 2 with continue instead of continuous?

1 Like

Greets MDMnM!
I started with 1-4 actually ,but it went bananas(but interesting…would love to learn to control that…ifeel potential in it its just another gray area at the moment) and i went with – instead…

Tried it again after your suggestion,it went bananas again,and than i changed the midi channel in FL to 16,and its normal again…and FL linked the pot in the midi out plugin…
If i turn the pot n MD it changes in FL.
So far so good…but if i tweek the FL pot there is no visual refference of it being changed in MD.not sure if this should happen…?
Started the sequence (just to try and make sure)and tweeked it and set automation,but no visual or audible difference happened…
Obvious Human error
I changed the midi out plugin to 16 so the program change is on 16 too but nothing happens…
Im an obvious fuckup…
:frowning:
:smile:
But i happened to spend 1 hour just tweeking sounds…and than i realised…oh yeah…the MIDI problem :slight_smile:
Its soo easy to loose yourself in this machine… I Love!!
Thanks Everyone who tries to help!
I appreciate!

Ooooo…and Ctrl Out is ON now…forgot to tell…
Thanks for pointing it out @sezare56 !
Cheers!

when the Base Channels are assigned to 1-4, Midi Chan 1 is for the Tracks 1-4, Midi Chan 2 for the Tracks 5-8, Chan 3 for 9-12 and Chan 4 for 13-16. anyways…with ableton all works fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

i just learned, that FL needs a plugin to sequence external hardware, right?. can you assign 16 midi channels in this plugin for all the individual MD tracks or just one single MIDI channel? if so, then you probably have to create 16 of these plugins for all MD tracks^^

1 Like

yes, it does work

2 Likes

Thank You a Bunch Genleman!!
Thanks @phaelam @MDMnM for triing to make me understand…cause you did!!
it all makes sense now!
Thanks a Lot!
to be honest im really ashamed to ask here,cause my obvious lack of knowledge… All the Gods see my soul… i RTFM but sometimes im not in the right altered state to understand it.
but you guys…Thanks a Lot!
Huge Bow!
i will give it a try in a sec…but i saw something that could explain my problem with the different time signature plan…
(and yes @MDMnM you need a midi out plugin to do this,and AFAIK you need seperate ones for all the tracks)
so…the thing is that the mapping in my Map editor changes…
as soon as i start the sequencer…
its C 2 for 01BD and as soon as i hit start it changes…thats the reason why it doesnt react
could someone help why is this happening?
Cheers!

to be honest i had my doubts for a while when i red that you sad something wrong … i wasnt soo sure anymore :slight_smile: …but now i really understand it…
Thanks a Lot @phaelam i appreciate this a Lot!
Cheers!

1 Like

@phaelam just tried it now and it works!!
Whooohooo
its alive, its alive
its ALIIIVE!!!

the other question on the Map editor mapping changing itself still remains a question…
would someone have an idea whats causing that?

That is to say?
Do you use different slots ?

@sezare56 here is the situation in bit more detail
MD Base channel is: 5-8
and i set the channel on the midi out plugin in FL to 5(port is 1 ,same as set in Midi settings)
and if i put down a C 2 note in piano roll( as set in the Map editor for 01-BD)start the sequence than my C 2 changes to C 1 in the mapping and nothing happens further…
what am i doing wrong?
i would like to trigger it to restart with a C 2 note on midi channel 5 for interesting rhythms but it doesnt seem to work…(TRIG is STRT in the mapping)and play until i start it again with another C 2 note…did i get something wrong?or the principal is OK?
any idea what is my mistake?

here is a Midi CC chart made by somebody else. i extended it just for myself, by adding the midi numbers of the mutes below. it’s a bit clearer than the list in the manual.

6 Likes

BAMMMM!
Thanks a Bunch!(at the moment its my desktop background)

1 Like