Yeah someone really needs to tell me why noone worked on the basic layout of this thing since push 1.
No UI Team? Over 10 years no user feedback? The basic Idea of it is superb but the hardware clearly noone has given more thought, which is so sad. There are so many buttons in weird places. Generally why would one put the pots above the screen, so you cover the screen while using them. Machine has them under the screen, so no cover up while turning knobs. Basic UI principles have not been thought out in push. Why?
I got a payment failed message, and then a message to select payment type. Ordered. Then realized I shipped to wrong address!
For some reason, probably selected during covid, it is set to my Mom’s. No big deal, she doesn’t live far.
Oh well, I’ll have it next week I bet.
I think the pots are there so they could get buttons above and below the screen but I agree, they could be better placed.
Maybe they have invisible hands in berlin?
Must be invisible hands
because in my hierachy the pots get used way more often than the buttons, so they should have front row seats somewhere.
And has Has again found the best way to integrate 8 pots and a screen? Right the Elektron Guys. Shure different format but way better, you always draw the connection from the pots to the parameters and no cover up. Buttons for the pot banks simply put under them. Easy. Does a rytm maybe actually have more buttons than push? 
I think it’s much more likely that their UI team, testing and feedback has justified the design choice to be honest. Maybe I’m being too kind on Ableton here but I highly doubt that they haven’t tested different pot placement and designs and ended up back at what we see now.
With the size of Push 3 and how I use it on a desk, pots under the screens would be a terrible move! Maschine is a good counter though but it has a slight wedge shape to give at least some angle over your hands when using. I personally like Push’s slab like design more vs Maschine’s plasticy feel.
Maybe I am talking shit here. Could be. Push is really flat and the screen is pretty high on top. If you operate with two hands. Four pots left and right it could actually be that you could see less screen if the pots where under the screen, because your viewing angle us flat and your hand is in front of the screen then. Depends.
If course they might have testet some layouts but still the layout of push 3 is not all that different from push 1…
I think the big thing would have been to make sure push1/2 users felt comfortable with the layout tbh. Can you imagine a new Digitakt with a completely new layout? There would be uproar 
I share the exact same experience and I am also waiting for support to get back to me so I can send it back… Glad it’s a 30 days return period if it takes them 12 to respond…
I don‘t think there would be roar…if it would be smart and still Elektron style. I would even hope for an update.
I think many people dislike the push design but have made peace with it because it gives them ableton as a controller which in itself is nice.
Duuuude, let me check to which adress is mine shipping? 
I’m pretty fussy about ergonomics but the knobs above the screen here haven’t bothered me at all. The only way your hand would obscure the relevant bit of info on the screen would be if your arms sprang from the center of your chest.
I do wish there were a little tilt though.
Many many more like the push UI, personally I do, and I dislike Elektron UI which I find fiddly, but then again I been using Push since 2015 so am locked into that way.
neither can I… but there’s hope some h/w producers see the need to up their game. MPE+better features to compete with what P3 offers as a groove-box is very attainable (like, Polyend?). better sampling features too. wish P3 much success, and quick resolution of the troubles to the brave early adopters
Wait, yours don’t spring from the center of your chest?
On-topic, I got the email that mine is ready to ship! The estimate was 4 to 6 more weeks when I checked yesterday - seems like they’re being extremely conservative with the shipping/preorder estimates. Anyway I’m super stoked!
same here, I was very hyped the morning P3 emerged, couldn’t believe my eyes and felt sorry for my wallet.
yet it only took a few days to see it’s not gonna make it for me, even if there were no QC issues. but my particular needs are less common anyway, and I’m happy many others are satisfied with the current feature set.
and it might evolve, let’s hope. it might push other manufacturers too.
I will get it at some point simply because I use Ableton. But to me it has a lot of sad downsides but also cool upsides…so. In my opinion its just sad to see that they did not upped their game. I mean the pad matrix was the same on push 1 was the same. If half of the controller are pads they should be great but they were crap, that they are great now I consider yeah…half of the controller are pads, they better be great 
The only time I was ever concerned about the knob placement was before I used Push. In practice, nothing on the UI is obscured.
Push 1 was built by AKAI. I was not a fan of the pads, and Push 2 was a major improvement over Push 1 in many ways and the layout changed quite a bit as the interactions were simplified with the larger screen.
Still Push 2 pads required lots of adjustments in settings to get the right sensitivity, and then using it for drums vs keys presented another problem.
Push 3 as expected got the pads right.
Different opinions are normal and not wrong, but I’m okay with the layout. I’m glad they didn’t drastically change anything because it’s easy to get working quickly.
Compatible with Push 3:
Thanks, this will be great
I really find myself wanting a proper online resource that lists all the Max4Live devices that work on the push, including whether they work on standalone and any limitations.
