Push 3 Users Thread

I like the UI of both Elektron devices and Push 3 and think that they are both well thought out. They both flow very well for me. If I had to pick one knob placement, it would be Push, because the knobs are directly over the parameter you are adjusting. And I don’t have any issues with my arms covering the display.

Another thing to consider is that on an Elektron machine, the majority of the time you are bouncing between the same handful of pages, so the knobs quickly become muscle memory. This is because each Elektron box is a focused instrument. Push is more vast in those regards, where you can have one track being a synth, one track a sampler, you can have many fx per tracks, racks, and so on. And I think for how vast Push is, they did a very good job with the UI.

5 Likes

Exciting to see stuff like this working around deficiencies already - as always with Ableton, you can rely on some M4L dev to get you the missing features! Very reassuring to see that there’s already functionality in Max that lets you do this mapping (though sort of begs the question why this was left on the table by Ableton themselves).

1 Like

I agree the Elektron implementation is generally good but it took some time before it became intuitive.

Having the knobs right over the screen seems more intuitive for someone new to the device. Honestly I don’t see how the screen would be covered when twisting a knob unless you hold it very weirdly. I’m thinking that you’d normally reach it from the side, so you’d never cover up the reading of the actual knob you’re twisting.

Edit: others had already said the same thing so I should have read up before replying.

1 Like

This seems like an important distinction. However, on Electron gear, and really almost any gear these days, there are many different pages that do completely different things (Note, Amp, Osc, Filter, LFO, Effects, etc.), so assigning knobs to function on each page needs to be reconfigured. Of all the gear I have, probably the best knob/screen use layout is the Waldorf Iridium (they all work the same, but I have the Desktop). The Iridium has five different kinds of instrument in it (“Oscillators”), you can load up to 6 of any combination, and then there are many different parts of the signal flow for each. There are 6 knobs around the screen, three on each side. It is always very clear which knob controls which function on the screen, which is never clear on Electron gear–you have to tell yourself, “that parameter is third from the left on the screen, so you need to use the encoder that is third from the left.” Yes, it is obvious, but there’s a mental step involved, until muscle memory kicks in. On the Iridium, there is no extra step. And by placing the knobs on the sides of the screen, you don’t block the screen with your hand or arms. Kinda perfect!

2 Likes

Can someone show how eg the Drift synth settings are accessible from the Push 3? I’d like to get a sense of how easily tweakable the parameters are compared to, say, a Syntakt. All the YouTube tutorials about Drift are on desktop.

1 Like

had to place a preorder with 12-14 weeks expected availablity. wonder if they will become available througout retailers

They only sell direct now as far as I know, no retailers. The good news is it likely isn’t going to be as long as they’re saying - when I checked yesterday it still said 4 to 6 weeks, but I got the 48-hour-payment-notice email today.

2 Likes

I found a live stream where the guy makes a lot of Drift patches using the Push 2 as much as possible so it should give you an idea.

1 Like

Try to place your hands where you‘d like to have the potis and you‘ll see that the screen would be much more covered than where they’re placed now, unless you look at your push from a birds view.

1 Like

Nice, good to hear. Placed a preorder for the controller version!

1 Like

Trying this out today, works great so far. PXL_20230609_172407847.MP|375x500

Using this with Push 2 here, that is really helpful

1 Like

Apparently I don’t understand how to post photos here

So it looks like all settings are one page button click away, that’s neat. That must have taken some time to photograph and crop - thank you!

1 Like

Thats an interesting pairing. Do you think you will keep the torso once the m4L plugin sequencers work on push? Or is the torso not replicated in software?

Maybe! It’s kind of great to take a small standalone multitimbral synth (Blofeld or something) and t-1 somewhere and just jam.

When did you preorder your Push 3? Was it the standalone or controller version?

I think I placed my order on May 26, it’s the standalone version.

1 Like

In Poland, third party retailers were selling Push 3 for a couple weeks. I just checked and it looks like they pulled the listings now.

1 Like

Update to the finger hover near top of touchstrip gets rid of the touchstrip problem revelation:

Earlier I said it worked with a plugged in USB charger wire left in the vicinity too, but it seems a broader selection of unconnected metals also works. eg I can rest a headphone adaptor in that area and the touchstrip then works.

I usually only get the problem the first time I have used the device for hours, and it doesnt come back when I reboot, but if rebooting is inconvenient then I will also make use of this method while waiting to see if Ableton come up with a better fix.