Push 2 vs Launchpad Pro mk3

I’m about to pull the trigger on a Push 2… obvs that locks me into using it with Ableton.

I’m hesitant because of the Launchpad Pro 3… which I know I could use with a lot more of my gear.

For people who’ve experience with both, are the Ableton gains of the Push 2 worth having over the LP Pro? How much better is it?

I can decide for myself on the extra LP Pro use/functionality I’ll get, but if anyone loves it with Elektron gear it’d be interesting to hear too…

I had a push 2, now have an LP3 - the push is way bigger, I much prefer the LP3’s size

If you have hardware synths etc… then the LP3 offers way more given it can sequence OTB

I can’t remember noticing any real difference in the sensitivity of the pads one way or the other

No screen on the LP3 obviously, wasn’t an issue for me though

3 Likes

I guess it depends on your setup/workflow. If you use software effects over your live audio, for example, it can be a gamechanger. The interaction with Ableton is impressive. I changed my workflow and audio chain to make the Push 2 a central component of everything I do.

2 Likes

I’m ordering both and will send one back… I’d rather get to see them in my own environment.

I’m pretty new to Ableton, but I think it’ll be my main vehicle of choice when I want to escape the restriction of 64 steps… and if I get back to playing live I’ll probably sample my other gear into it.

I’m kind of hoping the LP Pro does the trick for me tbh.

2 Likes

FWIW I just sold my Push 2, and am buying LP pro mk3. I want a midi controller, which the Push 2 is not. I have not been using Ableton for anything other than recording audio.

However, the Push 2 is a great controller with Ableton Live. I loved it when I was using live all the time. Great with VST synths, great with VST effects. You can quite easily create control macros that work best with Push 2, if you want to invest the time. However, editing midi clips is still a screen/mouse game, they haven’t cracked that.

Had both, sold both. Push 2 is great for controling Live but doesn’t go deep enough for me (no warp marker editing or arrangement view support) while the LPP MK3 has a pleasing form factor and and great customisation but lacks some of the stuff I liked about the Push 2 (deeper integration with Live) as well as some of the interesting features of the original LPP with the Arsenal_LPP custom script (Live shows what scale is chosen and MPC-style 16 levels of velocity in drum mode). So unfortunately for me, neuter decide quite hit the spot and I just use a keyboard and mouse to make music in Live.

1 Like

I probably underutilize the Push 2, but I use it for more than what a LaunchPad can do.

In Ableton, I make at least one MIDI track for each of my hardware synths, use the external instrument device on it (compensates for latency), and then save that as a template. I use a drum rack for stuff like the Rytm, and then also have MIDI tracks for each separate track, which lets me play chromatically.

My workflow to get started is literally open Ableton, turn on synths and Push, and go.

This lets me play any of my devices without a nest of MIDI mergers/splitters/cables, and without compromises on available MIDI channels. I can also add any number of effects from the Push directly. In the end, it lets me play any number of devices with just a push of the track change button. I also set up audio tracks to record without monitoring for individual outs and record with monitoring for stereo outs.

Suite + Push is super capable, but expensive. LP3 is more straightforward and would work better in a smaller setup.

2 Likes

I do the same with Live templates, minus the Push. Got a channel for the Digitakt, the Virus (MIDI with external instrument effect) and the DB-01, each with a simple EQ and saturator with limiter enabled. I have two sends - one going into an Echo and another into a convolution reverb. Turn on Live, turn on hardware, get jamming. :smiley:

1 Like

Exactly. It isn’t quite “DAWless”, but the DAW certainly doesn’t get in the way. I end up with more music actually recorded because of the reduced friction to get something recording, which is nice. I also find it super flexible for changing hardware for specific projects without rewiring/unboxing/etc.

Working with audio cables and patch bays is fine, but dealing with hyper-specific MIDI settings on each project on each device and a bunch of mergers/splitters really killed 100% DAWless for me.

1 Like

Push 2 is great but it only works as a controller for Ableton. The Launchpad Pro MK3 works with Ableton as well as with anything else you may want to control via midi. It also has a midi input and 2 midi outputs. The Launchpad is flexible, however, Push 2 will give you superior Ableton integration.

1 Like

I got Push 2 and love it, but I’m very much committed to Ableton.

I also got an LP Pro Mk 3 and love that too, but that was motivated by Atom 2 integration for my iPad.

I’m happy to have both and, although there is crossover, I think they do different things very well.

For those saying that Push 2 doesn’t do as much as they wanted it to, have you tried Push Hacker?

1 Like

So I’ll have the Push 2 and Launchpad Pro with me later this week to check out for myself.

@PeteSasqwax would you say there’s a significant steeper learning curve with the Push 2? I’ll have to decide which one to dive in with first…first world probs.

Sort of. It really depends on how well you know Ableton already. If you’re not well-versed, it could be steeper than if you already know Live well, but I think there’s a great deal of benefit from not knowing Live much and effectively learning Push 2 and Live as a single unit, effectively.

The learning curve of the LP is always going to be less because it doesn’t do as much, but there are a load of great resources for both, particularly on YouTube. Early on Push might seem overwhelming but work through the Ableton videos and you’ll soon get past that and realise how ridiculously powerful it is

1 Like

Ok, so here goes… :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

For anyone interested, after spending an initial 30-60 mins with each, my first impression has been that I feel more at home with the Push 2.

I’m not fully discounting the Launchpad Pro yet though… I still think I might find use for this outside of Ableton.

I instantly feel like the Push 2 workflow is what I was after though… I like how easily it integrates with other gear I have connected… it’s easy to see how I could have multiple setups with Live templates to match, and be up and running in no time at all.

4 Likes

Hey CCMP!

Are you still rocking this?
Interesting thread but I know you’ve got a MPC recently.
Wonder if the Push 2 is still serving you well.

Yes, they’ve both become fixtures of my studio.
I’ve moved into a new space and consolidated most of my gear into it.

Pretty much everything you see in the photo is connected to my iMac going into 2 USB ports (via a few hubs), and then mainly into Ableton.
I can pull out these 2 USB points and connect them to my MPC Live 2 and have everything available there too, so I switch between them.

I’m really digging the MPC lately, so I switch between using that (esp if I want a break from the computer) and Ableton.

I kept the Push 2 and the Launchpad Pro mk3… the Push 2 is always on the main desk with my computer. The LPP is more mobile… it sits on the rack to the right of the picture, so if I want to stay over there and track things into Ableton I can, and it’s cool for that.
I’ll also take that home with me and use with my laptop on my smaller home studio.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply man. SICK gear.
I’m trying to get my Force sold to get a push 2 instead; need to get back into Ableton.

2 Likes

How do you use the 6+2 audio mixer with all that gear? Is there a patchbay in there somewhere?

AMAZING setup, lovely.

1 Like